Jump to content

MSC GRANDIOSA - 8/16/2020 - Anyone Live?


Recommended Posts

Okay, so far so good.

 

It's not over. 

 

IMO, the original odds of 'nothing C-19 happening and being reported (embarkation, ports, excursions, etc.) so far were unimaginable (still quite shocked, but pleasantly).

 

I fully expected there to be such issues and thought the important ramification would be "how was it, or them, handled" and how did the ports and governments react (and the media).

 

The "bubble concept" on a cruise ship was something I did not expect to see attempted so soon.

 

So, until the passengers are disembarked and, likely again at least swab tested by MSC (IMO, for self-protection that passengers were 'clean when they left), fingers are still crossed.

 

🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lienf said:

I had seen this before and was curious as to where the daily gratuities would be in the revenue stream? An accountants out there? On board spending?

It would be a wash. Recorded as revenue and offset by a corresponding payroll benefit expense or as non revenue cash offset by a liability of the same amount. Either way, it has no effect on EBITDA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Okay, so far so good.

 

It's not over. 

 

IMO, the original odds of 'nothing C-19 happening and being reported (embarkation, ports, excursions, etc.) so far were unimaginable (still quite shocked, but pleasantly).

 

I fully expected there to be such issues and thought the important ramification would be "how was it, or them, handled" and how did the ports and governments react (and the media).

 

The "bubble concept" on a cruise ship was something I did not expect to see attempted so soon.

 

So, until the passengers are disembarked and, likely again at least swab tested by MSC (IMO, for self-protection that passengers were 'clean when they left), fingers are still crossed.

 

🤞

 

 

The key thing is not that anything C19  doesnt happen (because it will - its impossible now or in the future for it not to happen) -- Its how its handled when it does..

 

As long as processes are in place and are followed then there is no issue..  It comes down to the individual if they like these restrictions or not  but if your living a dream where the vaccine solves everything and its back to normal, forget it..

 

MSC, Mein Shiff, and Hapag seem to have got the ball rolling succesfully (as do several river cruise companies Its a  pity re Hurtigruten but they have proved you simply cant get away with ANY shortcuts or sloppiness in procedures which Im sure has been noted by the others).. In 2 weeks we have Costas two brands starting:- Costa and Aida.. Best of luck to them all... Im hopeful and excited to be cruising in Europe soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ighten said:

 

The key thing is not that anything C19  doesnt happen (because it will - its impossible now or in the future for it not to happen) -- Its how its handled when it does..

 

Agreed, and is exactly what was noted.

 

"I fully expected there to be such issues and thought the important ramification would be "how was it, or them, handled" and how did the ports and governments react (and the media)."

 

24 minutes ago, ighten said:

 

As long as processes are in place and are followed then there is no issue..  It comes down to the individual if they like these restrictions or not  Yep.

 

but if your living a dream where the vaccine solves everything and its back to normal, forget it.. I am not, however, a reasonably prudent person would look to a successful vaccine and a successful therapeutic would go a long way to "supplement these protocols" until this particular virus has run its first course and there is some legacy immunity traits (various items of scientific research to identify and confirm) embedded into the population.

 

 

 

24 minutes ago, ighten said:

 

MSC, Mein Shiff, and Hapag seem to have got the ball rolling succesfully (as do several river cruise companies Its a  pity re Hurtigruten but they have proved you simply cant get away with ANY shortcuts or sloppiness in procedures which Im sure has been noted by the others).. In 2 weeks we have Costas two brands starting:- Costa and Aida.. Best of luck to them all... Im hopeful and excited to be cruising in Europe soon.

 

Yep, and if MSC Grandiosa makes it to the end of this first cruise on a high note (I still expect some reporting of some kind of some C-19 issue; as we both note, 'how was or is it handled) that will go a long way in confidence (ports, crews and passengers).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Are the passengers being tested when they disembark too?

I think they are only having to test people who took a shore excursion in Malta.  The same will happen to those who get off Magnifica in Greece.  The policy is currently in effect until September 7th.  See the second paragraph from the "Booking terms amendment" (Finland website).

 

To ensure a safe and enjoyable cruise, MSC Cruises is adapting its booking conditions and onboard experience. Please note that only residents of the European ‘Schengen’ countries will be allowed to get on board. Guests will undergo a health screening that includes a personal review of the health questionnaire that they will have completed in advance, a contactless temperature check and a COVID-19 swab testing of all guests. Guests travelling from any the countries that are deemed ‘high risk’ by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) will need to take an RT-PCR swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test results will need to be presented at the terminal prior to embarkation. In addition, in order to guarantee the highest standards of health and safety ashore as well as on board, guests wishing to go ashore will only be able to do so by participating in one of our MSC Shore Excursions.

 

In light of a new ruling by the Italian Ministry of Health that came into place as of 13 August, MSC Cruises confirmed that in addition to the health and safety protocol developed by the Company, all guests that go ashore in Malta or Greece - while taking advantage of the "protected" shore excursions- will undergo an antigen swab test before the return of the ship to Italy. This is in addition to the test that is done prior to embarkation and this testing will be covered by MSC Cruises. This will be implemented on MSC Grandiosa and MSC Magnifica until 7 September.

 

To ensure your peace of mind as you look forward to your next holiday, MSC Cruises requires all guests to have an insurance policy that covers any COVID-19 related risks, including cancellation, repatriation and medical expenses. You can choose our new MSC COVID-19 Protection Plan that will provide coverage for cancellation charges as well as medical and related transport expenses for just €18 per person. Otherwise, you can liaise with any insurance company of your choice.

Edited by Até
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd have arranged tests at the end too, if I were MSC. Certainly, initially, to confirm all passengers cruised and were negative at the end. Anyone contracts it post cruise and it'll be suggested it was on the cruise rather than post cruise. Hopefully, there are no positive cases at all though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I think I'd have arranged tests at the end too, if I were MSC. Certainly, initially, to confirm all passengers cruised and were negative at the end. Anyone contracts it post cruise and it'll be suggested it was on the cruise rather than post cruise. Hopefully, there are no positive cases at all though.

That's it, exactly!... For MSC those higher costs from there could be seen as if they were purchasing insurance for something else!...

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I think I'd have arranged tests at the end too, if I were MSC. Certainly, initially, to confirm all passengers cruised and were negative at the end. Anyone contracts it post cruise and it'll be suggested it was on the cruise rather than post cruise. Hopefully, there are no positive cases at all though.

 

21 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

That's it, exactly!... For MSC those higher costs from there could be seen as if they were purchasing insurance for something else!...

 

Agreed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, sidari said:

Trouble is a person can test Negative and then test positive later. There is no 100% fool proof way.

From what I have heard the average person even asymptomatic dont test positive till 5 to 7 days after contact.  Some earlier, some longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mnocket said:

In a prior conference call they said that was break even based on EBITDA - very different from being break even from a profit standpoint.    Here's a thread on cruise line costs and revenue streams.

 

 

Some cruise line have a much higher casino income than others!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this cruise appears to be wrapping up.  Thanks so much for so many who provided so many great angles, links, perspectives, questions, answers, etc. 

 

It was fun.

 

Post cruise, any YT videos, social media presentations, news releases would continue to be really appreciated; good or bad, all the way through passenger follow-up 10-14 days out.

 

The 2nd Grandiosa upcoming cruise may bring answers to some of the unanswered or speculative responses that have been expressed during this first cruise.

 

1.  Food servers face mask, face shield, both, etc.  Will it look the same or will the protocols be 'upped to require the masks for servers, including those in the buffet.

 

2.  Extent of testing during the cruise and at the ports (off and back on the ship).

 

3.  Any communications from the Captain of C-19 related "issues?"

 

It would also be really a PLUS if a CruiseCritic member is on the 2nd cruise and would share one of those classic CC 'live (or as best as possible) threads; doesn't have to be real fancy or so burdensome to diminish enjoyment of the cruise.

 

 Again, thanks so much to everyone, CC members and CC Editors for the valuable contributions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Formula280SS said:

Well, this cruise appears to be wrapping up.  Thanks so much for so many who provided so many great angles, links, perspectives, questions, answers, etc. 

 

It was fun.

 

Post cruise, any YT videos, social media presentations, news releases would continue to be really appreciated; good or bad, all the way through passenger follow-up 10-14 days out.

 

The 2nd Grandiosa upcoming cruise may bring answers to some of the unanswered or speculative responses that have been expressed during this first cruise.

 

1.  Food servers face mask, face shield, both, etc.  Will it look the same or will the protocols be 'upped to require the masks for servers, including those in the buffet.

 

2.  Extent of testing during the cruise and at the ports (off and back on the ship).

 

3.  Any communications from the Captain of C-19 related "issues?"

 

It would also be really a PLUS if a CruiseCritic member is on the 2nd cruise and would share one of those classic CC 'live (or as best as possible) threads; doesn't have to be real fancy or so burdensome to diminish enjoyment of the cruise.

 

 Again, thanks so much to everyone, CC members and CC Editors for the valuable contributions.

Only guests who left the ship on tours around Malta were tested yesterday, no one else was tested before leaving the ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...