FDR says "fleet returns in earnest" not until 2Q2021

babysteps

FYI - spouse saw this item on the "pointsguy" website - FDR on the NCL earnings conference call 8/6/2020 said 

"As we move into the first quarter of 2021, the deployed capacity is expected to ramp up as more vessels gradually reenter the fleet,” Del Rio told Wall Street analysts during a conference call to discuss second quarter earnings. But “based on this time line, it isn’t until at least the second quarter of 2021 that we would see our fleet return in earnest.”

• Thanks 2

In the August 6 CC article "Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Has No Plans to Sell Its Ships" There's a couple more quotes of note on this. (https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5516/)

"Asked about the status of the NCLH fleet, Del Rio noted that the majority of the corporation's vessels will be entering cold layup, also known as "minimum manning", within the next 30 to 45 days. A total of seven vessels, which were not named, will be kept in warm-layup status due to port regulations."

"Asked about the resumption of cruise, Del Rio stated that while the final two months of 2020 could see a limited return to operations, NCLH does not expect the majority of its fleet to re-enter service until the second quarter of 2021. The restart of the entire fleet would take approximately six months once the green-light is given."

Sure sounds like the odds are against most cruises before next April.

• Thanks 1

I think most of this is pretty much as expected. It's becoming more and more obvious that it's going to take an effective CV vaccine to get cruising started again. 

• Like 4

Other than the timeline repeatedly getting shifted to later and later dates as the restart of cruising continues to get pushed off, there really isn't anything new here. They've always planned for a gradual ramp up that would take several months from the first cruise until all ships are fully deployed.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I think most of this is pretty much as expected. It's becoming more and more obvious that it's going to take an effective CV vaccine to get cruising started again. 

It will take more than that considering all the antivaxers out there. You have to keep them off the ship.

You don't have to take the vaccine if you don't want to but then you don't get to cruise either.

Can't believe what a big deal some people make of the need to wear masks - such a simple and logical thing to do.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 14
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It will take more than that considering all the antivaxers out there. You have to keep them off the ship.

You don't have to take the vaccine if you don't want to but then you don't get to cruise either.

Can't believe what a big deal some people make of the need to wear masks - such a simple and logical thing to do.

A certificate of vaccination will probably be needed as condition of entry to a lot of countries when the vaccine is available. Possibly Also for all air travel domestic or international in fact. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DanOnboard said:

In the August 6 CC article "Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Has No Plans to Sell Its Ships" There's a couple more quotes of note on this. (https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5516/)

"Asked about the status of the NCLH fleet, Del Rio noted that the majority of the corporation's vessels will be entering cold layup, also known as "minimum manning", within the next 30 to 45 days. A total of seven vessels, which were not named, will be kept in warm-layup status due to port regulations."

"Asked about the resumption of cruise, Del Rio stated that while the final two months of 2020 could see a limited return to operations, NCLH does not expect the majority of its fleet to re-enter service until the second quarter of 2021. The restart of the entire fleet would take approximately six months once the green-light is given."

Sure sounds like the odds are against most cruises before next April.

Thats  why I booked in September 2021

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I agree, I don't get it.  You have to wonder would these same people have objected as vigorously to wearing a seat belt in a car or helmet while riding a motorcycle, do they not buckle up in turbulence while flying??   Wearing a mask while in a store or other indoor place seems like a small price to pay for keeping each other safe because thats the primary purpose of a mask, keeping others safe from the mask wearer.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

You have to wonder would these same people have objected as vigorously to wearing a ... helmet while riding a motorcycle,... 

Quite prevalent in Arizona

15 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

I agree, I don't get it.  You have to wonder would these same people have objected as vigorously to wearing a seat belt in a car or helmet while riding a motorcycle, do they not buckle up in turbulence while flying??  

Our state(Missouri) just passed a law where you don't have to wear a helmet. The state just south of us, (Arkansas) has had an helmet optional law for years. We're big Red states here in the southern Midwest, gotta protect those personal liberties. I see it as a Darwin thing, except when they affect me. 

15 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Quite prevalent in Arizona

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

Our state(Missouri) just passed a law where you don't have to wear a helmet. The state just south of us, (Arkansas) has had an helmet optional law for years. We're big Red states here in the southern Midwest, gotta protect those personal liberties. I see it as a Darwin thing, except when they affect me. 

seems pretty silly not to wear a helmet  but  I guess your right to die  on life support  is more important

We have had mandatory helmet laws sine the 60's  & even before that we wore our helmets

JMO

1 hour ago, ORV said:

😂❤️

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Our state(Missouri) just passed a law where you don't have to wear a helmet.

In that case they should also make the person not wearing a helmet pay for the medical expenses related to any head injuries; or the insurance companies should clearly state that they will not cover such injuries when not wearing a helmet.

Let's see if that would change anyone's mind.

With freedom come responsibilities - can't have your cake and eat it too.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

In that case they should also make the person not wearing a helmet pay for the medical expenses related to any head injuries; or the insurance companies should clearly state that they will not cover such injuries when not wearing a helmet.

Let's see if that would change anyone's mind.

With freedom come responsibilities - can't have your cake and eat it too.

You do have to be 26 or over and have proof of health insurance. 

Like the joke my friend tells: When Gary Busey healed up from his motorcycle wreck he said, "I got half a mind to quit riding motorcycles".

• Haha 1

I know we've drifted from the OP's topic...a big drift... but anyway, my wife, the RN, worked for a while in a rehab facility that had quite a few head injuries, young, mostly men, mostly accidents in cars or on bikes. I went in there a few times to pick her up.  Every idiot that rides without a helmet should have to do a shift feeding, washing and moving those patients. Heads do not meet pavement (or dashboards) well at speed.  Sorry for the rant, but I looked at those patients and saw my child and I couldn't imagine what their parents were going through.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, H0kie76 said:

We are scheduled on Riviera March 10 for Western Carribean.  Wonder if they will use their larger ships to start since there is more room for spacing and putting up anyone that gets sick?  Thoughts?

Sounds like a good plan.  More spacing would make us happy to start with,

Cancelled 4/21 TA a couple months ago, changed to 4/22 Papeete to LA. Just booked 12/21 Danube cruise w/Crystal. 

It has been reported that Crystal has stopped paying their creditors. I learned this from a Regent post that had a link to the Points Guy or something like that. My tech skills are limited or I would include the link here. I’m sure there are some (with skills) that can provide more info on this.
Sorry for the apparent bad news, but I felt you should be made aware.
Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2 hours ago, blacksmith said:

It has been reported that Crystal has stopped paying their creditors. I learned this from a Regent post that had a link to the Points Guy or something like that. My tech skills are limited or I would include the link here. I’m sure there are some (with skills) that can provide more info on this.
Sorry for the apparent bad news, but I felt you should be made aware.
Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

https://thepointsguy.com/news/crystal-cruises-not-going-out-of-business/