Best music acts that you have seen on celebrity?

George C

5 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

We met him during our TA 5 years ago and we have not enjoyed anyone more. Superb musician. Can you give me info regarding Mr. Aehron? It will be great to check it out.

And I am big Perry's fan. Miss him on Celebrity..

I don't think I can mention the company that promotes his music but if you google his name and "concerts at sea", I'm sure you will find it.  The name is kind of like galaxy.  I don't see anything further out than 2019, but  I guess no one is cruising now, so I hope he hasn't retired.  He has some videos on his site on that you might enjoy also.  HTH

33 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I don't think I can mention the company that promotes his music but if you google his name and "concerts at sea", I'm sure you will find it.  The name is kind of like galaxy.  I don't see anything further out than 2019, but  I guess no one is cruising now, so I hope he hasn't retired.  He has some videos on his site on that you might enjoy also.  HTH

This is about performance rather than music. I mean if I was going for some good music, I would rather visit opera or just go on a concert of my favorite band. Music on board is nothing more but a show which you visit instead of staying in the cabin at night. I mean it would look weird if there was no music at all lol 

The big guy in the kilt in Tenors of Rock was CD Sue Denning’s son,,,great act.

Was on Baltic cruise when Sue was CD and a Beatles tribute band called Beatlemania (I think) played the theatre,,,brilliant,,,and that’s from someone who comes from near Liverpool!!

They had a spare day before they got off the ship and Sue cajoled them to play an extra gig in the Sky Lounge,,it was bouncing,,best night ever on a Celebrity cruise.

miss the "old" days when we were treated to the drifters, platters, coasters, charo and a host of other good entertainers..Not going to happen anymore, most of the groups we have seen recently were vegas lounge acts type...With the financial problems that the lines face, entertainment will not get any better, but i know alot of great musicians are are going through tough times and might welcome some work in whatever venue.....will stay optimistic and hope to sail next year after the vaccine comes out. stay safe everyone...

The Duo Effect, saw them in 3 cruises.  Sadly I don’t think they are performing anymore.

Emily and the Nightcaps.  Emily Drinker and Ethan Cain were the singer and lead guitarist.

Gilly and the Girl!  They were wonderful throughout my Italy Croatia Malta cruise on the Eclipse. ( I enjoyed a shore excursion through Dubrovnik's Game of Thrones tour with them.) Hope to see them again when we start sailing, meanwhile they are entertaining in the central Florida area.  They were recently featured in an article in the Daily Sun newspaper in The Villages.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

Brooks Aehron - concert pianist from England.

19 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

Brooks Aehron - concert pianist from England.

Quite good, but he hasn't changed a single word of his act in more than 20 years. Love Jayne Curry and the original Tenors of Rock. 

1 hour ago, retired dude said:

miss the "old" days when we were treated to the drifters, platters, coasters, charo and a host of other good entertainers..Not going to happen anymore, most of the groups we have seen recently were vegas lounge acts type...With the financial problems that the lines face, entertainment will not get any better, but i know alot of great musicians are are going through tough times and might welcome some work in whatever venue.....will stay optimistic and hope to sail next year after the vaccine comes out. stay safe everyone...

We do 70’s cruises called rock and romance with the original stars , same company has 60’s music cruises called flower power and 50’s music called malt shop, also 80’s , disco and soul cruises. They are not cheap but lots of fun .

Enjoyed a couple of years ago Summer of 63, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons Tribute but then I grew up in Northern New Jersey.

Funny story we went on a cruise out of FLL with  our two kids. Stayed in Embassy suites night before and watched Titanic on pay TV.   We went on board and there was actually a woman who was excellent and sang the Celine Dion song. This was not too long after the movies release.  Back then they were a bit more sensitive about on board incidents.

Another story from the 90s, Celebrity used to run two ships in the summer out of NYC to Bermuda, one leaving on Sat and another on Sunday.  There was a male entertainer who was a fixture on Celebrity for quite a few years and was excellent, sort a Jack Jones type. He would go to Bermuda on the Sunday ship, perform his shows, shift over to the Sat. Ship in Bermuda and do his shows on the way back. Can’t think of his name but would recognize it.

Edited by dkjretired

1 hour ago, BigRedFan said:

Gilly and the Girl!  They were wonderful throughout my Italy Croatia Malta cruise on the Eclipse. ( I enjoyed a shore excursion through Dubrovnik's Game of Thrones tour with them.) Hope to see them again when we start sailing, meanwhile they are entertaining in the central Florida area.  They were recently featured in an article in the Daily Sun newspaper in The Villages.

Yes!  Loved them!

21 hours ago, 39august said:

Celebrity orchestras have all been very good over our 2.5 years of cruising X. Last cruise in Feb this year we greatly enjoyed Lance Lupinski and the Lovers. He plays Jerry Lee Lewis style piano and has a Jerry Lee hair style. What a blast that was!! I also have been very entertained by Uptown a couple of times. The best I have seen was the country/rock duo called Ragar.  She is "a little bit country", he is " a little bit rock 'roll". An unfortunate name for a great duo, using part of each of their names. She is from Dallas and he from London where he did West End musicals for several years before teaming with Rachel. I told them after the show they were the best I'd seen on a cruise ship since I saw the Texas Tenors several years ago on an RCI ship. 

I remember Ragar - really enjoyed their show!  Would love to sail with them again.

2 hours ago, Orator said:

Quite good, but he hasn't changed a single word of his act in more than 20 years. Love Jayne Curry and the original Tenors of Rock. 

But Jayne is now playing for the old folks in Florida retirement centres.  (sorry, was when I last heard.)

8 minutes ago, Argo. said:

But Jayne is now playing for the old folks in Florida retirement centres.  (sorry, was when I last heard.)

Guess I'll, see her when I get old. She is certainly not performing on Celebrity ships now. Just googled her and it seems that she has had a baby. I wish her well.

4 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Enjoyed a couple of years ago Summer of 63, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons Tribute but then I grew up in Northern New Jersey.

I definitely did not grow up in Jersey.  🤠   But Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons have always been my favorite.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Another story from the 90s, Celebrity used to run two ships in the summer out of NYC to Bermuda, one leaving on Sat and another on Sunday.  There was a male entertainer who was a fixture on Celebrity for quite a few years and was excellent, sort a Jack Jones type. He would go to Bermuda on the Sunday ship, perform his shows, shift over to the Sat. Ship in Bermuda and do his shows on the way back. Can’t think of his name but would recognize it.

The Horizon & Zenith!! He was excellent and also cannot remember his name!

The very best that we have seen (in sixteen medium-to-long Celebrity cruises, over twelve years) has been "Music Soup," the two leaders of which were from Greece.  We traveled over 3,000 miles to be able to see them a second time.

Just a step behind was a "house band" named "Casablanca" (from Serbia).

Next in line was a "party band" named "Sipra" (from the Philippines).

Then came the Ray Brown, Jr. combo.

There was also an extremely entertaining, middle-aged, female pianist that played in Michael's Club, probably on the Equinox (in 2010 or 2013), before the Club was restricted to suite-dwellers.  We wish that we could hear her again -- and we apologize for not recalling her name. 

Unfortunately, "X" (probably to save money) seems to have stopped hiring brilliant solo pianists (both jazz and classical musicians) ... and seems to have cut back from string quartets to string trios to string duos (!), over the course of a decade.

27 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Unfortunately, "X" (probably to save money) seems to have stopped hiring brilliant solo pianists (both jazz and classical musicians) ... and seems to have cut back from string quartets to string trios to string duos (!), over the course of a decade.

Or they're looking at musical tastes of the demographic they're shooting for in the future...

I'm at the tail end of the boomer generation, and as of this year, we're no longer #1. I freaked some people out probably late last year by reminding them that Dave Grohl (lead singer/guitarist for the Foo Fighters and drummer for Nirvana) is 51. Arguably, that's the bottom of X's primary demographic. I don't know that the Nirvana generation will cruise (a lot of them are physicians and lawyers these days!), but I do know they show up at Foo Fighter concerts still.

So, maybe less jazz and string quartets and more Rage Against the Machine...

1 hour ago, Texed said:

I definitely did not grow up in Jersey.  🤠   But Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons have always been my favorite.  

We saw him in Dallas about a year ago and he still has a amazing voice did about a 90 min show with no breaks