Azamara Land Program: Reviews for Spain?

We are booked on the Azamara Journey for the Grand Prix Weekend Voyage in May 2021. It's a short cruise, so we are looking at adding on some time in Spain before the cruise. We did spend some time in Barcelona prior to a Celebrity cruise in 2018 and planned our own tours with others on our Roll Call.

It looks like the Azamara Land Program is fairly new. I'm hoping that someone has experienced it and can give some input (types of hotels, pace and size of tour group, knowledge of tour leaders). We're looking at the Andalucia: Seville, Cordoba, & Granada Land Program.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by scrapcreator

To be honest I don’t know anyone who has done them. They are extremely expensive for what is included and whilst I don’t know how accurate the Spanish itineraries are, when the programme was launched cruisers in other parts of Europe and the UK identified many logistical issues with what was proposed and found the publicity factually very inaccurate.  It’s a nice idea to do things before and after but why not work through a knowledgeable local provider yourself? 

This Azamara land offering may seem high compared to cruise prices, but it is in line with the small-group land tours that I have been researching.  The Azamara land tour of Andalucia costs $3,499 per person for 5 nights, or $700 per night.  The similar land tour that I had booked (and cancelled for Covid) runs $4,995-$5,195 per person for 6 nights = $832–$866 per night (depending on season) and doesn't include transfers to convenient international airports: https://www.classicjourneys.com/southernspain  I personally prefer the itinerary of the Classic Journeys package, but the start dates are hard to coordinate with a cruise.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This Azamara land offering may seem high compared to cruise prices, but it is in line with the small-group land tours that I have been researching.  The Azamara land tour of Andalucia costs $3,499 per person for 5 nights, or $700 per night.  The similar land tour that I had booked (and cancelled for Covid) runs $4,995-$5,195 per person for 6 nights = $832–$866 per night (depending on season) and doesn't include transfers to convenient international airports: https://www.classicjourneys.com/southernspain  I personally prefer the itinerary of the Classic Journeys package, but the start dates are hard to coordinate with a cruise.

The Azamara groups are not that small - when we enquired we were told the target number was 12 passengers and the maximum was 20.  I think they need 6 or possibly 8 or they cancel.  I would agree if it was 6-8 guests that could be worth a period but if its a residential shore excursion but with sleeping not so sure

1 hour ago, uktog said:

The Azamara groups are not that small - when we enquired we were told the target number was 12 passengers and the maximum was 20.  I think they need 6 or possibly 8 or they cancel.  I would agree if it was 6-8 guests that could be worth a period but if its a residential shore excursion but with sleeping not so sure

12-20 is considered 'small group'

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning/comparing-tours

10 hours ago, scrapcreator said:

Thank you! I appreciate your input @uktog, @Host Jazzbeau, @ellbon.

It may just be a pipe dream that we’ll actually get to go in 2021, but even if we have to wait until 22 or 23, information is helpful. I’m going to continue to gather information.

My favorite place to go is a good bookstore and read. I have taken pictures of reviews  In Frommers  or Fodders and looked up menus etc online. I also  done  the same with hotels. 

like everyone here social media had ideas in the end you have to trust your own judgement. 

• 2 weeks later...

If I was you I’d look up local tours as they would be much cheaper than Azamaras. You will be able to tailor your needs/wants with some tours. Or you could base yourself in one area and take local transport ie bus or trains each day to the other areas you want to see.

Edited by Issyalex