Jump to content

Greece - Corfu or Crete


Recommended Posts

Sorry chaps and chapesses. 

This is nothing to do with cruising, but hopefully the mods won't mind. Lady W has decided against the IoW - don't ask!

So, we (she) is looking for somewhere warm in September, with an airbridge (stupid word). Greece, she says. I'm not arguing. I know my place.  

So, I have no idea where to look. Jet2 have a good reputation, and fly to both Crete and Corfu from Birmingham. I have really no idea where to start looking.  

We like a resort with a village feel, a few bars and restaurants and not much else.

If anyone can let us know their favourite resorts,  I would be very grateful. 

Your suggestions would be welcome - Graham, no pictures of you in a taverna in shorts please,

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry chaps and chapesses. 

This is nothing to do with cruising, but hopefully the mods won't mind. Lady W has decided against the IoW - don't ask!

So, we (she) is looking for somewhere warm in September, with an airbridge (stupid word). Greece, she says. I'm not arguing. I know my place.  

So, I have no idea where to look. Jet2 have a good reputation, and fly to both Crete and Corfu from Birmingham. I have really no idea where to start looking.  

We like a resort with a village feel, a few bars and restaurants and not much else.

If anyone can let us know their favourite resorts,  I would be very grateful. 

Your suggestions would be welcome - Graham, no pictures of you in a taverna in shorts please,

 

We've been to neither. Pointless replying right?  However, we loved Kefalos on Kos, if Jet2 go there that is. Beautiful little place with a small restaurant a couple of bars and a small supermarket for essentials. The village of Kefalos is a walk up a hill but once you got to the top there was a cafe called The Smile Cafe, guess why😊. The village had a butcher,  greengrocer and village bakery that sold the most delicious cakes that was worth the walk. It will probably have changed since we were there. Progress it's called, 😕but it's worth a look. 

Avril 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Much shorter flight to Corfu than Crete - as you no doubt know.

 

Agios Gordios  - suited us but I must give a health warning that it was probably 12 years ago we were there (before discovering cruising).  Basically one street of tavernas, mini-markets, pharmacies and tourist tat, leading to the beach

 

San Stefanos similar 

 

If you can make a private booking to Hotel Nafsika you’ll have a grand time.  TUI use it too.  I used to have the direct number but ...  Front of house is organised (well) by a guy who was educated (iirc) in New York, so absolutely no language issues.  His parents do the hotel and kitchen operations.  Food is authentic, the welcome genuinely Greek and you’ll probably get a few sessions of Greek dancing

 

 

ETA

Here it is on Trip Advisor

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g775838-d500158-Reviews-Nafsika_Hotel-Agios_Stefanos_Avliotes_Corfu_Ionian_Islands.html

 

 

Edited by Eddie99
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We've been to neither. Pointless replying right?  However, we loved Kefalos on Kos, if Jet2 go there that is. Beautiful little place with a small restaurant a couple of bars and a small supermarket for essentials. The village of Kefalos is a walk up a hill but once you got to the top there was a cafe called The Smile Cafe, guess why😊. The village had a butcher,  greengrocer and village bakery that sold the most delicious cakes that was worth the walk. It will probably have changed since we were there. Progress it's called, 😕but it's worth a look. 

Avril 

Thanks Avril. I'll take a look.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We cruised from Corfu and the airport is absolutely manic.Crete is a much larger island and diverse landscapes.A lot more to choose from.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very true.  Mountains (Odos?) if you fancy a hairy hire car ride windmill spotting.  Keep away from the big resorts though.

 

We’ve enjoyed Sissi (not much of a beach though) and, long, long ago in the time of Kosmar holidays, I think we went to Makriaglos (?sp) three years in a row.  Porphyra restaurant was something else,

 https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1028265-d4702915-Reviews-Porfira-Kissamos_Chania_Prefecture_Crete.html

long long sandy beach (as per the name) some secluded coves at either end and there’s an inland walk through a gorge 

I don’t know if you’d enjoy this experience - 10 minutes from the beach perhaps, but different

https://www.whiterivercottages.com/

There’s a working harbour with fish restaurants around it.  I remember eating watching the men standing up to their thighs in the water bringing in the sardines and throwing rejects to the waiting cats.  And balmy evenings and Greek music.  Thank goodness we can keep the memories

 

 

Edited by Eddie99
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back from Rhodes.  Was lovely. 

 

The all inclusive resorts are doing their best - buffet was well managed - pools open - decent social distancing but Germans and French were the worst for it.  

 

We went with TUI - flight out was completely full.  Flight back had some space for social distancing - empty rows at front of plane.  It looked packed in the back though.  

 

About 20% of flight passengers are tested on arrival.  You fill in a form for Greece and selection is based on cases in your residential area rather than completely random.  We have had no cases for months and were not swabbed.  You fill in a form, go to a curtained off area, and it is a throat swab rather than nose.

 

As of 29 July you must wear masks in all shops - this may change.  

 

Hope that helps.  If you have any questions please ask.

Edited by Legal Stylist
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Legal Stylist said:

Just back from Rhodes.  

Been to lots on cruises and a few on holiday. We would go for Rhodes. Old town is magic. If you want clubbing have a look at the 18-30 type brochure.😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Been to lots on cruises and a few on holiday. We would go for Rhodes. Old town is magic. If you want clubbing have a look at the 18-30 type brochure.😂

I'm waiting for the club 60-80 brochure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrs applehead said:

Just to confuse you, I would recommend lassi in Kefalonia, lovely beaches, a few restaurants and shops. Only 15 mins from the airport and walking distance to the main town.

No loud bars, very quiet and relaxing.

Kefalonia is a stunning island I agree. We we're in the quiet village of Lourdas. Plenty of authentic tavernas though and two restaurants. Jet2 fly there but I don't know from which airport. 

Avril 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Kefalonia is a stunning island I agree. We we're in the quiet village of Lourdas. Plenty of authentic tavernas though and two restaurants. Jet2 fly there but I don't know from which airport. 

Avril 

 

 

We hope to go next year and are booked  EasyJet from Gatwick. Prefer BA but no flight early July.. apparently.

 

We stayed in Villa Provenzo in Lourdas a few years ago.. it was magic and overlooked Zante in the distance.  Villa Lithero for us next

Link to post
Share on other sites

When in September is a factor. If late, definitely Crete. Corfu is very green for a reason - the weather can start breaking up later in September. Crete is usually warm and sunny through to mid/late October.

If you are beach people, those around Chania and Rethymnon are wonderful. Rethymnon is a town but has a lovely old quarter centred on a beautiful old harbour. The beaches on Crete are generally sandy whereas Corfu has a number of shingle ones.

If you prefer a shorter flight, think about Lefkas/Lefkada, to the south of Corfu. That will be less touristy than Corfu.

Lesvos is also a really beautiful island but I know they were inundated with refugees a little while back and not sure how that may be affecting the island. I am a compassionate person but not sure I would want reminders of how desperate life is for some people when I am on holiday, which I know may sound a bit selfish.

Another island with lots of greek charm is Skiathos. The main town is a bit lively but away from that nice. Fewer large/ high-rise buildings there too.

I have lots of lovely memories of holidays on smaller greek islands from before we started cruising.

Edited by Britboys
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

 

 

We hope to go next year and are booked  EasyJet from Gatwick. Prefer BA but no flight early July.. apparently.

 

We stayed in Villa Provenzo in Lourdas a few years ago.. it was magic and overlooked Zante in the distance.  Villa Lithero for us next

We were in an apartment on the hill, beautiful sea veiws. I can't remember the name it's so long ago now. It was a real hike to the beach , but we were younger then😆.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Isn’t the Cruise Critic community wonderful?
 

“Tell me about Corfu and Crete”

 

”Well, I’d recommend Rhodes, Kos, Kephalonia ...”  😂

I know Eddie, but not all of us have been to Corfu of Crete and we still want to join in😔. Could change his mind or Mrs W's😉

Avril 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been to Crete but a long time ago in the 80’s and loved it. Have a look at Parga, a lovely resort on Greek mainland opposite Corfu. No high rise hotels, no burger bars etc. Day trips to other islands available(Corfu, Paxos and Albania). I would go again for definite 

 

Michelle 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would second Agios Gordios on the West Coast of Corfu. ( Villa Pappadella) Beautiful location and very friendly. I have been there over 15 times. Have tried all the larger, popular Greek Islands and Corfu stands out above the rest, not just because they play cricket there!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crete is far, far bigger than Corfu, so is likely to have a far greater range of things to do. Of course if all you want to do is relax on a beach in the sun, then that's not a factor.

 

One thing: I was looking at the BBC news web site a little while ago, and I think I saw something about a spike in Greek Covid-19 cases. So there might be a risk that Greece will be moved by the British government into the "red" category and that you'd have to self-isolate on your return.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brian1 said:

I'm waiting for the club 60-80 brochure.

It's arrived,they take care of everything.The foam party is sponsored by Radox.If you fancy a podium dance they have Stanna stairlifts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jh1809 said:

Crete is far, far bigger than Corfu, so is likely to have a far greater range of things to do. Of course if all you want to do is relax on a beach in the sun, then that's not a factor.

 

One thing: I was looking at the BBC news web site a little while ago, and I think I saw something about a spike in Greek Covid-19 cases. So there might be a risk that Greece will be moved by the British government into the "red" category and that you'd have to self-isolate on your return.

Yes, I saw that as well, which has given us pause for thought. Given the way the UK government has grouped the Spanish islands (which have very few CV19 cases) with the mainland, in advising against travel  to Spain, I am concerned that the same blunderbuss approach would be taken to the Greek islands, even if the spike was only in Athens. 

Damn difficult to plan anything in this current environment  - it removes all the fun of planing and anticipating your holiday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Yes, I saw that as well, which has given us pause for thought. Given the way the UK government has grouped the Spanish islands (which have very few CV19 cases) with the mainland, in advising against travel  to Spain, I am concerned that the same blunderbuss approach would be taken to the Greek islands, even if the spike was only in Athens. 

Damn difficult to plan anything in this current environment  - it removes all the fun of planing and anticipating your holiday.

My sister has a holiday booked in Crete begining of September and she is not sure whether to go because of the possibility of having to quarantine on her return (she still works) but it is difficult to even plan a holiday in the UK because of the possibility of local covid lockdowns or having to self isolate.We want to book a weeks' self catering in Whitby but will lose our money if we can't go.Sometimes with hotels you can get a flexible booking but self catering thats not usually possible.Just last week we had a few nights booked in a hotel in Stockport but decided to move the booking to a hotel in Knutsford because of the local lockdown in Greater Manchester.We then received a phone call whilst we were away to say our young grandson had developed a high temperature so was being tested for covid.Fortunately it was negative but had he tested positive we would have had to return home early to self isolate.It is nice to have a holiday to look forward to but at the moment we will just wait and hope to book something last minute.You have had a lot of replies as whether to visit Corfu or Crete. Like some others have said my preference would be for Crete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, brian1 said:

It's arrived,they take care of everything.The foam party is sponsored by Radox.If you fancy a podium dance they have Stanna stairlifts.

 

Will they sell cocoa????😊

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...