Cruise Critic Community
JJG99

What are the chances??

Is there any chance of reverting FCC's on 2B2B cruises cancelled by HAL in the 1st phase in March 2020 back to a full refund??  We are not particularly interested in the 125% FCC and $250 OBC pp that we received for each cruise anymore and would now prefer just the 100% of monies paid back into our bank account.

Anyone with any knowledge or had experienced with this scenario- I would appreciate your views.

Thank you ,in advance.

Jenny

9 hours ago, JJG99 said:

Is there any chance of reverting FCC's on 2B2B cruises cancelled by HAL in the 1st phase in March 2020 back to a full refund??  We are not particularly interested in the 125% FCC and $250 OBC pp that we received for each cruise anymore and would now prefer just the 100% of monies paid back into our bank account.

Anyone with any knowledge or had experienced with this scenario- I would appreciate your views.

Thank you ,in advance.

Jenny

Thanks for asking this question.  I’m about to ask for the same thing and was wondering if anyone had any success.

Not surprised to see this issue come up for discussion. I hope you can get your cash refund. It may be many months before any cruises, especially longer ones, are available from HAL.

My PCC got back to me fairly quickly.  She processed the request.  She indicated that it will take about 60 to 80 days to get the refund.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

My PCC got back to me fairly quickly.  She processed the request.  She indicated that it will take about 60 to 80 days to get the refund.

Wow - really good news indeed. 🙂 

I just wanted to update this thread.  Overnight I finally received confirmation from HAL that my FCC is being turned into a refund.  This is from the March 2020 cancellation.  They apologized that it was taking longer than expected but that I am in the queue.  I asked for this on August 10 and my PCC told me 60 to 80 days.  So for now they are still in that window.

45 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I just wanted to update this thread.  Overnight I finally received confirmation from HAL that my FCC is being turned into a refund.  This is from the March 2020 cancellation.  They apologized that it was taking longer than expected but that I am in the queue.  I asked for this on August 10 and my PCC told me 60 to 80 days.  So for now they are still in that window.

Question for you. Did this FCC originate from a cash payment you made, and then upon their cancellation of your cruise you had elected to receive a FCC instead of a refund at the time? Or is the FCC you are mentioning here one of the 25% or 50% bonus FCCs that HAL issued for the late cancellations of the March 2020 cruises?

Up to now my understanding has been that FCCs issued based on cash payments can be refunded, while FCCs issued as compensatory bonuses are not refundable in cash.

7 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Question for you. Did this FCC originate from a cash payment you made, and then upon their cancellation of your cruise you had elected to receive a FCC instead of a refund at the time? Or is the FCC you are mentioning here one of the 25% or 50% bonus FCCs that HAL issued for the late cancellations of the March 2020 cruises?

Up to now my understanding has been that FCCs issued based on cash payments can be refunded, while FCCs issued as compensatory bonuses are not refundable in cash.

This FCC was because HAL cancelled the March cruise.  At the time we thought we would be sailing by now.  We used it on cruises for next year, then the ships got sold.  It was then that we decided to request refunds of the monies we paid.

47 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

This FCC was because HAL cancelled the March cruise.  At the time we thought we would be sailing by now.  We used it on cruises for next year, then the ships got sold.  It was then that we decided to request refunds of the monies we paid.

We have the same situation, except the ship wasn't sold, but our January cruise was cancelled.  At day 98 waiting for our refund. Please let us know when you get yours. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Thank you. By this I think you mean these were the 25% or 50% FCCs issued as compensation for the late cancellations of the March 2020 cruises. We had the exact same situation as you. We took full refunds at the time for the cruise payments and  applied these compensatory FCCs to new future cruises, and later the ship was sold. Our compensation FCCs (two of them) are now applied to another future cruise in May/June 2021.

1 hour ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Thank you. By this I think you mean these were the 25% or 50% FCCs issued as compensation for the late cancellations of the March 2020 cruises. We had the exact same situation as you. We took full refunds at the time for the cruise payments and  applied these compensatory FCCs to new future cruises, and later the ship was sold. Our compensation FCCs (two of them) are now applied to another future cruise in May/June 2021.

Yes, we were given a 25% bonus and rebooked for November.  That got cancelled. Booked again for March 2021, the ship got sold. That’s when we said enough of this ever moving target.  We are willing to lose the 25% bonus for cash in hand.

We have three cruises booked in 2021 but are only willing to tie up FCD’s until ships actually start to sail again.

I noticed a hopeful sign that my refund is underway.  The cancelled March Veendam cruise does not appear under current bookings.  It was paid with FCC.  This amount appears under my FCC as a negative number.  The August Rotterdam cruise that had some FCC applied still appears under current bookings.  That small amount of money appears on my FCC as available.  

If you get tired of waiting, file a consumer protection complaint with your state attorney General. 

An update on progress.  Yesterday I received a booking confirmation from HAL showing the removal of the FCD’s used to book the cancelled March Veendam.  When logging in the only FCC’s are two FCD’s, one from before and the one from cancelled March cruise.  The March booking remains as a booked cruise.  I’m hoping that means a refund will soon appear on my credit card.

Posted (edited)

We cancelled our April transatlantic on March 7, accepting a 50% refund and 50% FCC. About two months ago it became apparent that sailing a normal cruise before the end of 2021 is not likely to happen in a manner that is acceptable to us. Wearing masks and social distancing on a cruise ship is not what we signed up for when we booked and paid for this cruise in 2019. I don't see the situation normalizing until 2022 at the earliest. Therefore we have requested a full refund of the remaining 50% FCC. We were told the request has been forwarded but it could be another 60-90 days before we see it. No way to check on the status, no commitment that we will receive it, no written confirmation, just an oral statement that they have been notified of the request.

Not holding my breath...

Edited by TriumphGuy

I agree with your assessment on the cruise experience.  We have cancelled three 2021 cruises  as we have become convinced it could be a very long time to even get close to a pre-virus experience.

Updating the status of my refund request.  This morning a refund was posted to my credit card for about three fifths of the total due.  Since this was moved a few times it is hard to understand their process.  The refund was dated for 10/22.  The cancelled cruise still appears on my account so I’m assuming they have plans to further review.