At least our pets are happy....

world~citizen

I never knew so many people in my neighborhood had dogs until a lot of us starting working from home.  I'm seeing all kinds of dogs being walked throughout the day.  I'm sure they're loving it.

• Like 3

Our cat, Tony the Tiger, just doesn't understand it. We have been home for months and months. Our last cruise was 51-day Tales of the South Pacific; and he managed to escape and wander into our next door neighbor's garage. She and Tony are old buddies. The had the phone number of the gal who comes to the house twice a day and things returned to their usual state.

Jim

• Like 4

One of the benefits from this pandemic is that animal shelters have had their numbers of animals waiting to be adopted, crash.  So many pets that would have had to wait for long periods or worse, have found loving homes and people who are home have found new companionship and love.

• Like 5

Please realize that as we start spending more time out of the house (for whatever reasons, whenever that happens) some of our pets will experience separation anxiety.  It is important that you ease them into getting used to your absence again.  Don't just one day return to work for 8 or 9 hours, and expect your pet(s) to adjust.  They need practice at being on their own ❤️

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

Please realize that as we start spending more time out of the house (for whatever reasons, whenever that happens) some of our pets will experience separation anxiety.  It is important that you ease them into getting used to your absence again.  Don't just one day return to work for 8 or 9 hours, and expect your pet(s) to adjust.  They need practice at being on their own ❤️

A very good reminder to all of us, Venn.  My dogs are upset now for a bit when I am out for a couple of hours.  They never were before.  They are used to Mum being home 😉 

They are to quick finishing off their kongs 😉 

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about my dog. While I work from home normally, with the occasional being onsite at a customer (before Covid), my wife is always at work. She's been home since late March. Hopefully, she goes back to work after Labor Day. But I'm worried the dog might have some separation anxiety.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about my dog. While I work from home normally, with the occasional being onsite at a customer (before Covid), my wife is always at work. She's been home since late March. Hopefully, she goes back to work after Labor Day. But I'm worried the dog might have some separation anxiety.

Perhaps, if she can, have your wife leave for 10 minutes, then 20 minutes then an hour, etc to help ease your dog into getting her used to being gone again?

• Like 1

My girlfriend has a cat and was working at home for a few months.  While she was home, she would scoop the litterbox every time kitty used it  A few wks. ago she was called back to the office.  The cat is now highly displeased that he has to, horrors of horrors, use the litterbox 2-3 times before it's scooped.  You can guess where he goes.  😒

• Like 1

Our cat, Rani, is in heaven ever since we both have been home daily due to Covid-19. I am now working from home and she has us where she wants us to serve her 24/7. Oh when we finally get back to travelling and be off on another cruise somewhere she will not greet us well upon our return. 🙂

Edited by Bramcruiser
  • Like 2

Our Australian Shepherd mix never holds it against us when we travel.  When we take him to the kennel, he wags his tail and wants to greet everyone.  He never looks back as he is led away.  He doesn’t eat as much, but he isn’t as active.  He is back in routine the minute he is back in the door!  For me, however, the body is generally back home a full week before my mind!    

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kazu said:

Perhaps, if she can, have your wife leave for 10 minutes, then 20 minutes then an hour, etc to help ease your dog into getting her used to being gone again?

My dog is weird. Under normal circumstances, if my wife goes outside, goes shopping, etc on a weekend, she becomes a whiny pain in the butt waiting for "mommy" to return. But, when she leaves for work in the morning, she is accepting of it. My wife has been having some early appointments that mimic going to work and the dog has been fine. 

Like I said, my dog is weird. But, I wouldn't give her up.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

Very good advice.

We are active with a rescue group in our area, and assist with foster and permanent placements.  As part of the orientation with potential adopters, we always discuss "away training" to help acclimate the new pet to being in the home by themselves.

We're going to need to do it ourselves when as we begin to be away from home more!!!

• Like 2

Our cat sitter is probably pulling her hair out by now as we have set times for her to take care of kitty and then we had 5 cruise cancellations, two on Holland and three on Carnival. We have made new bookings and cleared the times with her and then cancellations, new bookings and then cancellations. Fortunately, she and her DH also have cruise bookings and understand the situation. Theirs are still in place so far and we take care of their cats. DH and I are retired, so kitty is used to having us around. She is a ghost when we are on vacations and the cat sitter has only seen her once in three years! She knows kitty is ok because food and water are gone and litter box is used. Weird kitty for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Djptcp said:

Our cat sitter is probably pulling her hair out by now as we have set times for her to take care of kitty and then we had 5 cruise cancellations, two on Holland and three on Carnival. We have made new bookings and cleared the times with her and then cancellations, new bookings and then cancellations. Fortunately, she and her DH also have cruise bookings and understand the situation. Theirs are still in place so far and we take care of their cats. DH and I are retired, so kitty is used to having us around. She is a ghost when we are on vacations and the cat sitter has only seen her once in three years! She knows kitty is ok because food and water are gone and litter box is used. Weird kitty for sure.

Not unusual for cats.  I've experienced this when I've been cat sitting. 

• Like 1