What area would you stay in Orlando?

4 hours ago, ranchette said:

Going on a cruise out of Port Canaveral and looking for a hotel room for one night. Would you stay in Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach? What hotel would you recommend?

Your question made me wonder:  where did I stay before embarking Carnival Liberty at Port Canaveral?  

I stayed at Titusville at the Fairfield Inn at that location.  The hotel was fine.  Dining near-by was not plentiful at that time (which has been in the last 5 years).  One had to drive to get to a restaurant for a good dinner.  I stayed there because the prices were much more reasonable for a mid-Winter stay than a hotel closer to the Port.  Plus, it was a short drive to the Port the next morning.  

What time do you arrive into MCO?  We prefer to stay in Orlando (for one night, choose a hotel near the airport - lots to choose from) and then make our way to the port in the morning.  A one-way rental car opens up lots of options for where to stay, dine and shop for last minute cruse supplies.

Have a great cruise! 

The few hotels close to the port typically offer a ride to the port.  But there is nothing other than the hotel. If you have more time then something in Cocoa Beach is more suitable so you can walk the strip, shop, more food choices. Or go to the beach for a short time!

4 hours ago, JohninDC said:

What time do you arrive into MCO?  We prefer to stay in Orlando (for one night, choose a hotel near the airport - lots to choose from) and then make our way to the port in the morning.  A one-way rental car opens up lots of options for where to stay, dine and shop for last minute cruse supplies.

Have a great cruise! 

Agree...this ^^^

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I stayed at Titusville at the Fairfield Inn at that location.  The hotel was fine.  Dining near-by was not plentiful at that time (which has been in the last 5 years).  One had to drive to get to a restaurant for a good dinner.  I

3 hours ago, ranchette said:

but I think I would like to stay at the port. 

An advantage at staying at the Port would be easier/quicker access to the restaurants that are located at Port Canaveral.  This Message Board has many recommendations, including mine, as to restaurants to be seriously considered.  

3 hours ago, ranchette said:

We haven't booked the airfare as yet but I think I would like to stay at the port. 

Thanks for your replies

If you want to stay near the port there's a Homewood Suites and a newer Hilton branded property  (Home 2 Suites?) very close to the port and stumbling distance to several dining options.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the decision on where to stay really depends on what time you arrive. If you are arriving after say 5PM, I would stay near MCO. You would be at your hotel around dinner and most hotels in that area have nice restaurants in walking distance. If you get in earlier in the day, trekking out to PC or CB would be my opinion. Plenty of places to stay and things to do out there. In my opinion, it is really a timing thing.

55 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

In my opinion, the decision on where to stay really depends on what time you arrive. If you are arriving after say 5PM, I would stay near MCO. You would be at your hotel around dinner and most hotels in that area have nice restaurants in walking distance. If you get in earlier in the day, trekking out to PC or CB would be my opinion. Plenty of places to stay and things to do out there. In my opinion, it is really a timing thing.

Thanks for your reply. We have a very early flight and will be arriving around 10:00 am. I guess we will head over close to the port. Any hotel rocommendations?

Honestly, I have not been to the port. We had booked Country Inn and Suites because it was close to the port (about a 1 mile or so). There are several hotels in that new area. There are a bunch of hotels around the area to choose from. It really depends on what your plans are. We were going to have dinner at the port, probably Grills, to watch the ships head out. Then the next morning get to port for our cruise. 

1 hour ago, ranchette said:

Thanks for your reply. We have a very early flight and will be arriving around 10:00 am. I guess we will head over close to the port. Any hotel rocommendations?

Homewood Suites and another new Hilton property (Home 2 Suites) are very close to the port and several dining options.

41 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Homewood Suites and another new Hilton property (Home 2 Suites) are very close to the port and several dining options.

Thank you I will check it out.

12 hours ago, ranchette said:

Hilton Cocoa Beach and DoubleTree Cocoa Beach.

9 hours ago, ranchette said:

Which hotel would you stay at Home 2 suites by Hilton or the Radisson? Rates are very similar.

Of those two, Home2Suites, unless you are traveling with kids, then the Radisson Resort. In the same area are the Homewood Suites and Country Inn & Suites, all decent enough.