cruise or All-inclusive

jcool

All-inclusive.... really it is up to you.... you may end up paying for things you don't want or use...

Is it better than a cruise.... well at the moment yes as there are no cruises....

It is the same old question land or sea based holiday..... depends on want you want..

We go to one All-inclusive place ... it is amazing.... generally 3-4 nights in enough....

it is a splurge for us.... cost wise it is dear  half the cost of 13 night cruise for 3 nights

What ever you decided enjoy yourself

Cheers Don

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Just like a cruise, food can be hit or miss.

I disagree with this, never had a bad meal at Sandals or Couples. Seven restaurants are not hit or miss. 

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

they are charging $1,000 and above a day just for your room.

Not sure what you mean, just for the room? AI is AI, as in room, food, liquor, activities and entertainment. BTW, never paid more than $700 a day for a suite. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, coevan said:

I disagree with this, never had a bad meal at Sandals or Couples. Seven restaurants are not hit or miss. 

Truly happy for your experience. Of course that doesn't speak for all.

Not sure what you mean, just for the room? AI is AI, as in room, food, liquor, activities and entertainment. BTW, never paid more than $700 a day for a suite. 

Not including air, since it was used in the OP first comment.

Edited by Mike981

It is not either or for us.  We like them both.  We often combine cruises or AI's in our independent land travels.  Did a five night stay in two different AI's in Mexico last winter during our seven week travels.

There is one attraction that AI's have for us...especially if the choice is between a last minute cruise or a last minute AI.  AI's in Canada typically include air.  One phone call and it is done.  The only thing left to do is get to the airport in time.  For us, cruises in Mexico or Caribbean usually involve arranging our own air, or cruise air, as well as a pre cruise hotel stay. 

The last late booking AI I did from home  involved  calling DW in the middle of her morning  coffee meeting with her friend on a Tuesday to ask if she was clear to leave for a one week AI stay on Friday.   It would not have been as straightforward if it had been a cruise offer in the same window.

The trick is really to book the ship, the cruise line, or the AI that best meets your preferences. It is just as easy to have a good or poor cruise as it is to have a good or poor AI stay if one does not do the homework/research.

Edited by iancal

On 8/11/2020 at 2:50 PM, K32682 said:

I am not going to jeopardize our hard work by going to the U.S.A., any other nation that hasn't managed the infection well and/or one that admits American tourists.

I don't think you are eligible to visit the US on vacation at this time.  Unless things change, I expect many of your countrymen will be disappointed that they are unable to use their winter homes again in 2021.

48 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I don't think you are eligible to visit the US on vacation at this time.  Unless things change, I expect many of your countrymen will be disappointed that they are unable to use their winter homes again in 2021.

I can enter the U.S. for leisure purposes if I fly but not if I drive. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-travel-restrictions-covid-19-land-border-fly-1.5607741

Many Canadians are unaware that, even though they're currently barred from driving to the U.S. for leisure travel, they can still fly to the country. 

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) told CBC News that its travel restrictions apply only to Canadians trying to enter the U.S. at land border crossings, which includes travel by car, train, ferry and pleasure boats.

Edited by K32682

On 8/11/2020 at 7:23 PM, coevan said:

I agree, I've never had a "bad" meal at a Sandals. However, I've had some that were average.

11 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I agree, I've never had a "bad" meal at a Sandals. However, I've had some that were average.

I agree but sandals normally offers about 6 restaurants and we have found them normally way better than a cruise mdr and sometimes equal to specialty restaurants, also we are very picky about wine and you can byob your own wine with no corkage . Love there breakfast they ask coffee or tea then Bloody Mary or mimosa. 

15 hours ago, K32682 said:

I can enter the U.S. for leisure purposes if I fly but not if I drive. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-travel-restrictions-covid-19-land-border-fly-1.5607741

Thanks for the information.  I can never understand the difference between land and air travel.  It is the same for Mexico where I live - rules for air and land crossing are different.

It will be a lit more difficult and costly for the snowbirds coming south this winter, but at least it's doable.  One of my co-workers - Canadian - is spending the summer in Calgary and working from "home."  I am sure he'll be back by the end of October.

46 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Thanks for the information.  I can never understand the difference between land and air travel.  It is the same for Mexico where I live - rules for air and land crossing are different.

It will be a lit more difficult and costly for the snowbirds coming south this winter, but at least it's doable.  One of my co-workers - Canadian - is spending the summer in Calgary and working from "home."  I am sure he'll be back by the end of October.

Most leisure travel between Canada and the U.S. is done by land crossing particularly in the summer.  Flights increase in winter but snowbirds of my acquaintance who winter in Florida are split 50-50 between driving and flying.   

Unless the situation changes between now and winter, the disincentives for snowbirds will be reluctance to live in regions with significantly higher infection rates, availability of health insurance and a strict two-week quarantine upon their return to Canada.

15 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Most leisure travel between Canada and the U.S. is done by land crossing particularly in the summer.  Flights increase in winter but snowbirds of my acquaintance who winter in Florida are split 50-50 between driving and flying.   

Unless the situation changes between now and winter, the disincentives for snowbirds will be reluctance to live in regions with significantly higher infection rates, availability of health insurance and a strict two-week quarantine upon their return to Canada.

I just spoke to some good friends of mine who own a fish camp in Northern Ontario.  They still plan to spend their usual 4 months in the Florida Keys this winter.  They are not concerned about the quarantine upon return because they spend that time preparing their camp anyways.  They said a 14 day quarantine is nothing compared to enduring the entire brutal winter up there.  I'm sure they're not alone in that line of thinking.

On the other hand, I also still have good friends and family in Florida.  They unanimously agree that COVID might help keep the snowbirds from another particular province away.  In fact, they're praying for it. 

I think AI’s are over-rated, over-priced, and somewhat stifling.  If you do some research you can find lots of places to stay - at varying prices - where you can get a place with kitchenette so you can do a lot of your own meals — or if you want someone else to do the cooking, just get a room at a beach hotel (most of which have two or more on-premises places to eat - and many others nearby).

One problem with AI’s is the fact that they have to charge enough to cover the “all you can eat” folks, so it often costs more than it needs.  Another is the lack of real variety.

We find that self-catering costs less, allows more variety and more convenience.

We travel frequently.  Mostly independent travel.  Could be small hotels, resorts, b&b’s,cruises, and AIs.  We shop on value.   Our last fall and our last winter trips both included two five night stays in each of Cyprus and Mexico.   All four were first rate In Terms  of food, dining choices, accommodation, and facilities.  From a. value perspective they compared very well to some of great self catering places we stayed or cruises.  Clearly they were more expensive five star places but the value was there for us.

We tend to be fussy about where we stay.  We shop carefully for AI’s  and for cruise ships.   I do not drink much,DW is TT.  For our preferences each of the four provided as much value to us as many of the cruises that we have enjoyed.  Having said that, five nights is about perfect for us on an AI.

We often spend aweek with our daughter and family over Christmas in a high end AI.   For a her family the AI provides much more value and many more recreational choices than a cruise.

We have seen just as many people eating on a ship as though  it was their last meal as we have at any AI.

Edited by iancal

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

somewhat stifling

Stifling? You feel strained and oppressed or very hot and difficult to breathe. AI’s are so much more open and never crowded, hence the extra money. No kids is a plus for us as well

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Stifling? You feel strained and oppressed or very hot and difficult to breathe. AI’s are so much more open and never crowded, hence the extra money. No kids is a plus for us as well

“Stifling” to the extent that, having paid for the all inclusive experience, many have little interest in seeing what is outside the resort - missing part of the benefit of travel.  You really should familiarize yourself with the meanings of words before limiting the meaning of sentences which contain them.

We certainly did not feel stifled.  In Cyprus we had a car at both Ai’s and we did trips on numerous days.  Our friends always rent a car when they go to AI’s.  They prefer it to hotel excursions.  Not that much different than cruise excursions.  Not everyone sits by the pool all day drinking to excess and then gorging themselves at the dining venue!

• Like 1

I thought about it and think I have actually sort of stayed in sort of an all inclusive resorts in Rangiroa in French Polynesia and on Peter Island in the BVI's.  While technically not AI's, these experiences were great.  Both of these resorts were somewhat isolated - especially Peter Island - and had many activities that added to the experience.  We stayed on a meals plan so other than the bar, which was sometimes included in special events, it was probably close to an AI experience.

26 minutes ago, iancal said:

Not everyone sits by the pool all day drinking to excess and then gorging themselves at the dining venue!

Even though I like to eat and drink, I would give this a 1000 up votes if I could.

Edited by SelectSys

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think AI’s are over-rated, over-priced, and somewhat stifling.  If you do some research you can find lots of places to stay - at varying prices - where you can get a place with kitchenette so you can do a lot of your own meals — or if you want someone else to do the cooking, just get a room at a beach hotel (most of which have two or more on-premises places to eat - and many others nearby).

One problem with AI’s is the fact that they have to charge enough to cover the “all you can eat” folks, so it often costs more than it needs.  Another is the lack of real variety.

We find that self-catering costs less, allows more variety and more convenience.

Have you ever did a upscale resort like sandals? The all you can eat can relate to cruises also. 

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

We find more and more things we agree on. They are fun to post on social media and feel like you are getting everything free. Other than that, the average person is spending way more than they need to. To each their own though.

Coming from someone who doesn't care for drinking packages ever, AI drinks are definitely no huge value for me either. Nearly every hotel I stay at, I grab a bottle of liquor and pack of beer for about $50 that covers a huge portion of my drinks. There really is no cheaper way to drink on vacation. Maybe here and there I may buy a specialty drink if I want something. AI drinks are often weak.

The included food has its advantages, that's for sure. I mean it's not a terrible thing on a cruise. However, I can go to a Hilton where I get free breakfast already. Pick up some food for lunches (if I want), maybe grab a pizza, go to dinners I really want, all for much cheaper. It also adds more variety to the trip when you are going places for dinner vs sitting at the resort. I don't like having to run around to figure out all of my meals, but 1 a day is just fine.

3 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

We find more and more things we agree on. They are fun to post on social media and feel like you are getting everything free. Other than that, the average person is spending way more than they need to. To each their own though.

Coming from someone who doesn't care for drinking packages ever, AI drinks are definitely no huge value for me either. Nearly every hotel I stay at, I grab a bottle of liquor and pack of beer for about $50 that covers a huge portion of my drinks. There really is no cheaper way to drink on vacation. Maybe here and there I may buy a specialty drink if I want something. AI drinks are often weak.

The included food has its advantages, that's for sure. I mean it's not a terrible thing on a cruise. However, I can go to a Hilton where I get free breakfast already. Pick up some food for lunches (if I want), maybe grab a pizza, go to dinners I really want, all for much cheaper. It also adds more variety to the trip when you are going places for dinner vs sitting at the resort. I don't like having to run around to figure out all of my meals, but 1 a day is just fine.

Are you saying you eating 1 meal a day?? Not having to run around and constantly find places to eat and shell out money on top of money on top of money does have a convenience factor to us, even if we end up paying a bit more for it upfront. I eat 6 times a day at home (combination of small meals/snacks). It makes it difficult to got to a typical hotel vacation unless we stay at one that is condo style with a refrigerator. We end up constantly stopping for meals where the choice is to overeat to fill up so you can go longer before you next meal or having tons of leftovers with no real way to keep them fresh. I do enjoy the fact that on cruises and AI's I can stop by the snack bar/or buffet a couple times a day for snacks and eat lighter meals. 

On 8/14/2020 at 8:51 AM, Joebucks said:

I do agree if you are not a drinker an AI is not for you.