Viking air upgrade question

OnTheJourney

I'll try to explain this as best I can. We are scheduled to do the Chairman's invitational cruise in January, followed by the Iberian Explorer. The invitational cruise includes economy air for arrival into Rome and then departing out of Barcelona. I decided to not only add the Iberian cruise but also to arrive early prior to the invitational AND also to upgrade the air to business class. I also changed the departure airport from PHL to EWR. The 2nd leg of the flight - originally Barcelona back to PHL - is now LHR to EWR. 

My TA has been checking with the air department over the past few weeks to get updated prices. Just the other day she booked my flights and was told the price was $3499pp. However, in talking to the Viking agent whom I've been dealing with the past year, he informed me (during a discussion about adding tripmate insurance) that my total air is $3898.50. I was not happy and so inquired further. As it turns out, being that we altered the offered economy package by not flying out of Barcelona at the conclusion of the Chairman's cruise, I'm being charged $399.50 for the economy return flight (out of LHR since we took the London extension at the conclusion of the Iberian cruise). So, $3499 plus the $399.50 = $3898.50. I feel my TA was misinformed being that she (and I) believed the total to be $3499 - which is already exorbitant compared to what I could get on my own. 

There's more to this: Once I decided to change the departure airports from what was offered in the complimentary economy package, my TA had them redo the schedule (this was before I fully decided to upgrade to business). So then, I got an updated schedule that had the new airports but the wrong dates (being that we decided to arrive in Rome early). Either my TA missed that part when requesting a revised schedule or else Viking goofed on it. So then came another schedule with the corrected dates. Once we definitely decided on an upgrade is when the price I referred to above was arrived at. 

Unless I just don't understand all this, something just doesn't seem right. I realize that I'm not using the originally offered economy air back to US from Barcelona; however, I'm ALSO not using the "free" air to Rome!  So, in effect, I would think Viking is saving what they would be paying for my outbound flights had we kept the economy schedule. So - since the value of the outbound and inbound economy flights are $399.50 each, and I'm not using either of them, shouldn't there be some adjustment - such as applying the $399.50 (for the flight that I'm not using to get to Rome) to the cost of the B-class upgrade, thereby bringing it back down to $3499? Sounds reasonable to me.  I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. I can get the exact same itinerary for $2700pp but am hesitant to do so given the unusual circumstances. I think it best to keep everything under Viking in case the entire plan doesn't work out (I dealt with this in another thread). One agent I chatted with saw my point and said she'd put a notation on my booking that perhaps Viking can offer something additional to us -  no idea what or if anything will even come of that - sounded good though. 

Any thoughts? I understand how the $3898 was arrived at but feel like I'm paying more than I should be since I'm not taking advantage of any of the complimentary economy air. I know that Viking has to cancel flights and thus likely incurs fees just like any of us would, but something just doesn't add up. The way I see it, Viking is saving money on at least one of the economy legs. My TA should have been told that the price is $3898 - not $3499. She's away for a few days so I'll take it up with her when she gets back. I'd at least like it questioned. I have NO experience with using Viking air, and this is a rather unusually complex situation - so I just don't know if all this is as it should be or not. Hoping for some advice...

Edited by OnTheJourney

I don’t think It’s reasonable to expect another $399.50 perk on top of what is already a FREE cruise.

We were ALL offered free flights on a take it or leave it basis, and you chose to leave it.

Our friends chose to leave it, we chose to take it. Personal choice!!

Perhaps consider economy class at no extra cost to yourself? Or book independently as you suggest. 

Viking have been very generous offering free flights as it is.

Sadly I fear this cruise won’t go ahead anyway, and I think Viking have got a lot more to worry about at this difficult time for the cruise industry. Give them some sympathy not hassle.

• Like 3

I don't mean to "hassle" them, but just thought it worth determining if indeed the value of the outbound flight not being used could have any bearing on my overall cost. Surely, in the general scheme of things, I've SAVED them money. Those who have taken the economy flights have COST them money. At the least - while undoubtedly little help to Viking and the entire cruise industry - the (likely hundreds of thousands of) dollars in future cruise vouchers that is being accumulated via the various no-risk guarantees, etc. that are being offered passengers who canceled or were canceled could result in some of that never being used. 

You do raise some good points. I have no doubt that Viking may in some ways regret even having offered this deal when you consider the costs involved - not just the free economy flights but also the additional food, pay for cabin attendants, etc. I've always wondered how many Sky guests signed on to this trip. And, you're right...I had the opportunity to take the economy but really didn't want it. I've had some less than pleasant experiences flying economy for long haul and sort of promised myself I won't do it anymore. At any rate, the flight itinerary as offered didn't work for us being that we added days before the cruise plus turned it into a "butterfly" (in Viking parlance) by adding the Iberian cruise once arriving in Barcelona. I've only ever done B-class twice before. Very honestly, even if times were normal, I probably would have passed it up and bought either premium economy or business depending on the cost and flight times. What they offered really only works best, I'm assuming anyway, for those who are only doing the inaugural cruise. Otherwise, any changes made to the itinerary incur additional charges and / or forego the flights as initially offered. There are a lot of unknowable variables involved with all of this relative to what the "free" flights actually cost them. When I started looking into all this, I encountered terms like "deviation fees" for the first time ever in my travels. I understand they're a business and so need to build in profit margins, but - as a DIY flight shopper - I'd prefer to avoid all that sort of stuff. This time around, however, with so many uncertainties, I felt it best to have everything covered under Viking in the event that the trip doesn't go or is rescheduled. 

In a covid environment, I just figured the more spaced-apart seating on a plane, the better. Also, having lounge access is preferable to sitting at a crowded gate. I'd gladly book flights myself, and would have any other time - I have no love for booking flights through a cruise line or other travel company, but given the only 1-year timeframe in which to use a rebooked flight of equal or lesser value (at least that is United's policy and probably the same for many other airlines), I deem it very unlikely that we'd book another B-class flight within that time. 

Ultimately, I also share your thoughts that this whole thing may not happen, and really give it about a 50/50 chance. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 8/11/2020 at 5:02 AM, OnTheJourney said:

Ultimately, I also share your thoughts that this whole thing may not happen, and really give it about a 50/50 chance. 

Sadly, OTJ, after today's announcement, it might be more like 20/80 chance.

Let's hope things improve and at least we in this country do what is needed to help in that regard.

I can relate to your disappointment but have to share that I have never had any luck getting any real credit for not using free or discounted economy air. 

We sailed on the China Discovery cruise last October from Beijing to Hong Kong using s promo that included “free” roundtrip economy air. As we were in Japan, we only needed air from Osaka to Beijing and then from Hong Kong back to the US. Viking refused to provide us air from Japan or any credit for not using the outbound flights. They said they would be happy to provide air from Seattle To Beijing and from Hong Kong back to Seattle but even if we paid the deviation fee they said that the air promo was only good for US departure cities.  Makes no sense given the 4 hours Japan-China flight was around $150 vs the 12 hour US-China flights which were closer to $1500. 

But as my daddy always said, them that makes the rules.....

Well, quite honestly, given the cancellation of all cruises till end of year - our 1/19 sailing (especially being an international trip) is looking less and less likely. I used to give it a 50/50 chance, but now I'd say 30 (for) / 70 (against). The Chairman's inaugural cruise is probably far less important to them - being a non-public sailing - than the one immediately after - the Iberian. Not looking good for either of them. Oh well, guess I'll just keep racking up the voucher money. Have to 'shoot the works' with it at some point.