Jump to content

Who will still cruise with Princess...I think many in these groups won’t


Recommended Posts

We are diehard Princess Cruisers and will definitely be sailing with them in the future. Yes it took awhile to get our FCC, but I realize that they did the best they could based on what they were dealing with. They had THOUSANDS of refunds to process and I’m sure not enough staff familiar with the process to assist. All cruise lines had delays from what I’ve heard and read. Princess was not the only one. We’re booked on a cruise in March 2021 and are keeping our fingers crossed we sail. I hope we can book independent tours as we prefer them over ships tours, much cheaper and as reliable. You’ve put together a wonderful, concise list of issues people will face.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Loreni said:

Many here are diehard cruisers who can’t wait to sail. Although I wonder if the volume on these boards is reduced since Covid. When cruising really starts up again, I believe many people who fall into the following groups may think twice. 

 

1. People who had to wait so long for a refund.  Especially those who really needed their money back due to Covid related hardships.
 

2. People who booked after March and had their cruises canceled and are waiting for refunds. These people may rightly or wrongly believe Princess expected to cancel and is effectively using them for a loan.

 

3. Anyone in a high risk group.

 

4. People who have spent the last few months exploring other vacation options such as road trips or visiting family who they will not have seen for a long time.

 

5. People who have committed to other options by buying an RV, boat, or a vacation home.
 

6. People who no longer trust the cruise industry or perhaps Princess in particular.

 

7. People who fear being quarantined either on a ship or near a port.
 

8. People who were financially hurt by the pandemic.

 

9. People who don’t want to be shepherded when ashore having no contact with anyone but their guide.  Many excursions won’t even be possible under these conditions.  For example, how would one tour the Sistine Chapel?

 

10. People who don’t believe the ships have adequate medical facilities.
 

11. People who don’t want uncertainty regarding which ports they will actually visit.  Who wants to buy a pig in a poke?

 

12. People who don’t want to wear masks.

 

13. People who do want to wear masks, but wonder how (if) mask wearing will be enforced.
 

14. People who have never cruised before. They may not be able to get past the stories in the media.

 

15. Frequent cruisers who believe cruising has been going downhill and fear more cuts will be made as cruise lines struggle to become profitable again.

 

16.  People who always believed there were pluses and minuses with cruising, but greatly appreciated the value it offered.  This value may change if prices go up even if service doesn’t go down.
 

17. People who don’t believe social distancing is possible on a ship.
 

I believe cruising will survive in some form, hopefully not too different than we remember.  But I wonder how.

I find your post interesting for this reason:  You ask a very legitimate question, "Who will still cruise with Princess" but then you provide everyone with the answer, "I think many in these groups won't".  Why not ask the question and then want for the answers before providing a conclusion?  COVID-19 has been a terrible thing, on that we can all agree and all the reasons you list for not cruising are valid but as time goes on and this virus is defeated, cruising, like dine in restaurants, movie theaters and shopping without a mask will return.  In this time of doubt and gloom, let us all try to be positive, do our part and get our country back on track.  Best wishes to all our cruise friends.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We will readily cruise again when we’re able to.  Knock on wood but we’re not in any of the high risk categories (age getting there though!  Mid 50s).  Currently we have three cruises booked for 2021 and one for 2022.  Princess is our preferred line but daughter works for Disney so we also like to cruise on Disney (can’t beat the price! 😁).

I personally like some of the proposed changes to cruising.  For example, I never ate at the buffet because of health and safety issues.  Too many times I saw people touch food, leave the bathrooms without washing hands and fill personal containers directly from the drink dispensers! Not big pool/hot tub/shows people so won’t mind those changes.  We wear our masks, practice social distancing and wash hands frequently.  Won’t have a problem doing the same on board.

 

Regarding cost,  we have a Panama Canal Cruise in January 2021 that I am expecting to be cancelled (14day FLL to LA).  Can’t imagine that cruises will be able to dock anytime soon in LA!  We rebooked the same itinerary for January 2022.  We had an inside cabin but on the rebooked Cruise got a mini suite for just $150/pp more! So, yeah we put down a refundable deposit.

Edited by disneyochem
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have done 60+ cruises around the world on various lines since 1987 and we love, love, love cruising.  Looking back, we now appreciate more than ever how well-suited cruising has been for us. But the virus has raised too many problems for us to consider cruising in the forseeable future. And we doubt whether cruising will re-emerge with any resemblance to its former self, if  at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Loreni said:

Many here are diehard cruisers who can’t wait to sail. Although I wonder if the volume on these boards is reduced since Covid. When cruising really starts up again, I believe many people who fall into the following groups may think twice. 

 

1. People who had to wait so long for a refund.  Especially those who really needed their money back due to Covid related hardships.
 

2. People who booked after March and had their cruises canceled and are waiting for refunds. These people may rightly or wrongly believe Princess expected to cancel and is effectively using them for a loan.

 

3. Anyone in a high risk group.

 

4. People who have spent the last few months exploring other vacation options such as road trips or visiting family who they will not have seen for a long time.

 

5. People who have committed to other options by buying an RV, boat, or a vacation home.
 

6. People who no longer trust the cruise industry or perhaps Princess in particular.

 

7. People who fear being quarantined either on a ship or near a port.
 

8. People who were financially hurt by the pandemic.

 

9. People who don’t want to be shepherded when ashore having no contact with anyone but their guide.  Many excursions won’t even be possible under these conditions.  For example, how would one tour the Sistine Chapel?

 

10. People who don’t believe the ships have adequate medical facilities.
 

11. People who don’t want uncertainty regarding which ports they will actually visit.  Who wants to buy a pig in a poke?

 

12. People who don’t want to wear masks.

 

13. People who do want to wear masks, but wonder how (if) mask wearing will be enforced.
 

14. People who have never cruised before. They may not be able to get past the stories in the media.

 

15. Frequent cruisers who believe cruising has been going downhill and fear more cuts will be made as cruise lines struggle to become profitable again.

 

16.  People who always believed there were pluses and minuses with cruising, but greatly appreciated the value it offered.  This value may change if prices go up even if service doesn’t go down.
 

17. People who don’t believe social distancing is possible on a ship.
 

I believe cruising will survive in some form, hopefully not too different than we remember.  But I wonder how.

I don't see 17. I see:

 

1. PeopIe with long waits for refunds (#1, 2) waiting 5 months on 1 and 3 months on another. Not happy 🧐

 

2. Those negatively impacted by downturn in economy (job loss, panic bailing out of stock market) (#2, 8) yes I locked in a 8% portfolio drop by panic selling 800+ shares of SPY.  I was stupid. I totally own my stupidity but slept better in late March.

 

3. Individual health concerns (#3, 7, 10) na

 

4. Found other vacation options (#4, 5, 6, 9, 11) it was never my only way to travel. Looking at renting for a month in Ireland and Australia once this ends. Plus 3 cruises: TA, Alaska, Pacific Northwest Cruise

 

5. Social distancing / masks concerns (#12, 13, 17) I don't mind wearing one. Everyone (almost) wore them in Japan in 2017 and that was pre-pandemic. 
 

6. Uncertainty / distrust (#14, 15, 16)  This is by far the biggest issue for the ENTIRE travel industry to overcome. It will be interesting to see which age group returns fastest. In some areas (Florida beaches, SD Sturgis bikers) people are already back

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not see us returning to cruising for years.

 

If protocols such as masks or personal distancing are required, we will not go.  I am very comfortable wearing a mask and maintaining distance here around home because when I see somebody not wearing one, I can easily avoid him.

 

Who's kidding who?  A mask requirement will be ignored by many on a cruise ship.  They paid for their vacation, and the nobody's going to tell them what to do.  On dry land, I can cross the street to avoid unmasked walkers/joggers.  Where do I go on a ship?

 

I truly do want to return to cruising, but it will be under some pretty strict terms that I define.

 

Regarding returning to Princess, I don't think I would have any problem returning to them.

 

I had to chuckle at the OP's first item in his/her list.

 

  1. People who had to wait so long for a refund.  Especially those who really needed their money back due to Covid related hardships.

Specifically, the second sentence.

 

Some years ago prudent personal planning required that you have an "emergency fund" that would cover, at least, six months worth of your expenses before you splurged on discretionary spending.  I am not a great fan of Suze Orman, but I know that a lot of people are, and she, definitely, pounds on that philosophy.

 

So, people booked cruises, and then, when they were laid off in March, they found themselves short on cash?

 

It sounds to me that they really could not afford to go cruising.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We will absolutely be back!  Princess is a great company with great people, no one ever designs a system to deal with the volume of refunds/ FCC / cancellations that the entire cruise industry went through. Many of understood, were patient and supportive of each other and Princess.  

 

We are already looking forward to hitting the high seas next year on one, maybe two Princess and Celebrity cruises.  We will be back as many will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, XBGuy said:

I do not see us returning to cruising for years.

 

If protocols such as masks or personal distancing are required, we will not go.  I am very comfortable wearing a mask and maintaining distance here around home because when I see somebody not wearing one, I can easily avoid him.

 

Who's kidding who?  A mask requirement will be ignored by many on a cruise ship.  They paid for their vacation, and the nobody's going to tell them what to do.  On dry land, I can cross the street to avoid unmasked walkers/joggers.  Where do I go on a ship?

 

I truly do want to return to cruising, but it will be under some pretty strict terms that I define.

 

Regarding returning to Princess, I don't think I would have any problem returning to them.

 

I had to chuckle at the OP's first item in his/her list.

 

  1. People who had to wait so long for a refund.  Especially those who really needed their money back due to Covid related hardships.

Specifically, the second sentence.

 

Some years ago prudent personal planning required that you have an "emergency fund" that would cover, at least, six months worth of your expenses before you splurged on discretionary spending.  I am not a great fan of Suze Orman, but I know that a lot of people are, and she, definitely, pounds on that philosophy.

 

So, people booked cruises, and then, when they were laid off in March, they found themselves short on cash?

 

It sounds to me that they really could not afford to go cruising.  

 

Your assuming we will be wearing masks and getting tested all the time.  Now is the current normal but a return to normal will occur in the not to distant future.  I have many family members working in the medical and scientific community who know we will have vaccinations, treatments and eventually herd immunity in the next two years.  We will be back to our pre-2020 way before we know it, but maybe more cautious and wary of outbreaks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Regarding cost,  we have a Panama Canal Cruise in January 2021 that I am expecting to be cancelled (14day FLL to LA).  Can’t imagine that cruises will be able to dock anytime soon in LA!  We rebooked the same itinerary for January 2022. 

 

We are about the same age and are currently booked on the 2022 trip.  Over 500 days out.  I hope we can do it.  This is giving me something to look forward to. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

When it's safe to go again, we'll definitely cruise with Princess. We took the fcc option on a March cruise that was canceled, and that was all handled perfectly. I've booked two cruises to use the credit. Circumstances could prevent us from going on either or both of these, and we may lose the credit eventually if we can't use it by expiration and can't get it extended. If that happens - well, stuff just happens. No worries on my part.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

When it's safe to go again, we'll definitely cruise with Princess. We took the fcc option on a March cruise that was canceled, and that was all handled perfectly. I've booked two cruises to use the credit. Circumstances could prevent us from going on either or both of these, and we may lose the credit eventually if we can't use it by expiration and can't get it extended. If that happens - well, stuff just happens. No worries on my part.


I agree with your thoughts entirely.

No one can possibly predict what will happen in the rest of 2020, never mind 2021 and 2022. There will certainly be a time when cruising becomes safe again. 
In the meantime we will just do whatever we need to do with any future bookings and cruise credits that we have.  I will not pay the final balance if I am unconvinced about safety. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I'm one still disillusioned with Princess over their incompetence of handling refunds. After I use my FCC from my cancelled cruise I will look at other cruise lines, Princess won't be my first choice.  

I think you will find that the other main stream cruise lines were just as bad, if not worse than Princess.  the other board seem to have just as many complaints. but of course the grass does look greener.

 

One thing that Princess did, but it does not appear that any other line did is when they retroactively went back to Feb 5 and gave full refunds to anyone that canceled on or after that date.  Any penalties suffered according to the cancellation schedule ended up getting refunded. I have not heard of any other cruise line doing that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

I do not see us returning to cruising for years.

 

If protocols such as masks or personal distancing are required, we will not go.  I am very comfortable wearing a mask and maintaining distance here around home because when I see somebody not wearing one, I can easily avoid him.

 

Who's kidding who?  A mask requirement will be ignored by many on a cruise ship.  They paid for their vacation, and the nobody's going to tell them what to do.  On dry land, I can cross the street to avoid unmasked walkers/joggers.  Where do I go on a ship?

 

I truly do want to return to cruising, but it will be under some pretty strict terms that I define.

 

Regarding returning to Princess, I don't think I would have any problem returning to them.

 

I had to chuckle at the OP's first item in his/her list.

 

  1. People who had to wait so long for a refund.  Especially those who really needed their money back due to Covid related hardships.

Specifically, the second sentence.

 

Some years ago prudent personal planning required that you have an "emergency fund" that would cover, at least, six months worth of your expenses before you splurged on discretionary spending.  I am not a great fan of Suze Orman, but I know that a lot of people are, and she, definitely, pounds on that philosophy.

 

So, people booked cruises, and then, when they were laid off in March, they found themselves short on cash?

 

It sounds to me that they really could not afford to go cruising.  

 

People said the same things about enforcing masks on airplanes and now we see that they are being enforced to the level of no fly lists, and people being removed from flights.

 

If the cruise line feels that it will result in fewer COVID issues and will make more people feel safer they will enforce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Loreni said:

3. Anyone in a high risk group.

 

4. People who have spent the last few months exploring other vacation options such as road trips or visiting family who they will not have seen for a long time.

I am in the 3 group but surgery should eliminate a lot of that (other than age) in October and Dec. Planning on trying to Cruise Alaska next  year and Panama Canal in 2022.

 

I have looked at the small boats (40-60 passengers) from Juneau /Sitka, I can fly into either with 1 stop.

 

I have deposits at risk, I haven't applied my FCC, will wait to final payment date to decide / refund the FCC.

 

A-

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, voljeep said:

our 6 day 4/2021 cruise is $ 752 more than our cancelled 5 day cruise over Thanksgiving..

 

basically the same western carib itinerary , just an extra day and port

slight upgrade in cabin ... from a BB to a B2 on caribe deck

 

glad to have the double deposit FCC to cover the increase 

 

$ 200 OBC for booking another caribbean cruise after the one was cancelled

I don't think we will know what prices will look like until cruising actually restarts.  No reason for the cruise lines to run their revenue programs until cruising actually restarts. As a result what you will probably see is whatever their systems lists as full price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Loreni said:

Many here are diehard cruisers who can’t wait to sail. Although I wonder if the volume on these boards is reduced since Covid. When cruising really starts up again, I believe many people who fall into the following groups may think twice. 

 

I believe cruising will survive in some form, hopefully not too different than we remember.  But I wonder how.

 

And, then there's us in our own little group of 2:

 

Stick to ourselves on cruises, anyway:  we KNOW social distancing can work on cruise ships

Wear masks with no problem

Have decades of vaccinations in us (look at the latest news today about vaccines and masks)

Will be vaccinated before we sail

Have been treated very well by Princess with 2 cancellations this year

Don't want to look at other alternatives yet

Edited by pcur
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, npcl said:

One thing that Princess did, but it does not appear that any other line did is when they retroactively went back to Feb 5 and gave full refunds to anyone that canceled on or after that date.  Any penalties suffered according to the cancellation schedule ended up getting refunded. I have not heard of any other cruise line doing that.

Yes, give credit where it is due - have not heard of other cruise lines offering the fcc etc to those who cancelled ahead of the cruise company. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be proudly sailing the 7 seas once again when cruising resumes. It may be harder to get my hubby onboard if shore excursions are limited/restricted, but I will not give up my favorite activity in the world. The sea is where my heart is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be cruising again on Princess as soon as they institute proper safety measures and begin offering cruises.  We have three reservations for 2021 and one so far for 2022.  You can stick your head in the sand and watch the world go by or take a risk and be part of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hand raised, we will. I feel bad for those of you waiting refunds. We had a weeding planned for our daughter on Carnival for Sept 5 this year. Paid for the wedding on board up front, a suite, and a balcony room. After they cancelled, we had our refund in about 2 weeks. We have a cruise booked on Princess Jan 10. We hope that works out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...