Identification expired?

Ellusionz

It was that time again this year, had to renew my drivers license (expired) but alas everyplace was closed. Now they are open again, only taking appointments and only booking a week out (impossible to get appointment). I unfortunately HAVE to go in this year for whatever reason, can't renew online. They gave me one of those temporary printed permits (plus I still have my expired license) that will expire Feb of  next year. Will the cruise line take that if I'm not able to get an appointment by Dec (if my cruise sails) for my license?

I would only try to get a passport if you could go to an office and didn't have to submit any original documents to them. I sent my passport in for a renewal in March and 5 months later still haven't received it yet. I realize that was in the heart of the pandemic but I'm sure they have quite a back log and don't know how long it will take them to work through it. 

13 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I would only try to get a passport if you could go to an office and didn't have to submit any original documents to them. I sent my passport in for a renewal in March and 5 months later still haven't received it yet. I realize that was in the heart of the pandemic but I'm sure they have quite a back log and don't know how long it will take them to work through it. 

Govt I'd say is pretty backed up. I submitted my tax return last march and called to see if my refund had gone astray. She told me my return has been assigned to someone now, but I should get my refund Nov 23. Lol. She said 16 weeks from august 1st. 

That's why I said start now on your passport, it may take a long time.

Idk if there are any post offices that still take passport applications. Mine used to and renewals, but before covid went to only online renewals. Only new passport applications and only at a few bigger post offices. Not the smaller ones. Used to have to apply at main place in your county. Who knows during covid, but I'd look into getting the process started. Judging by how backed up the irs is it will take a extra long time.

Just now, firefly333 said:

Govt I'd say is pretty backed up. I submitted my tax return last march and called to see if my refund had gone astray. She told me my return has been assigned to someone now, but I should get my refund Nov 23. Lol. She said 16 weeks from august 1st. 

Idk if there are any post offices that still take passport applications. Mine used to and renewals, but before covid went to only online renewals. Only new passport applications and only at a few bigger post offices. Not the smaller ones. Used to have to apply at main place in your county. Who knows during covid, but I'd look into getting the process started. Judging by how backed up the irs is it will take a extra long time.

Right, but the government currently has all of my documents and my passport right now, and it's been 5 months. If this cruiser actually wants to be prepared to cruise in December, there is certainly a chance that they would be unable to get a passport by then. Which is why I wouldn't choose an option where you had to submit your birth certificate for processing. You may not get the birth certificate or the passport back by December if you send it all in tomorrow.

That being said, I don't think anyone is cruising in December so I think this is a moot point. 

My guess is the State is calling you in because you have yet to obtain a Real ID Driver's license. It is a real pain in the neck, but you cannot dance around it. Here is a link to DHSMV that lists all the documents you need to bring to prove that you are in fact a legal US citizen.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/what-to-bring/u-s-citizen/

That said, you should also obtain a full US Passport. Why? Because you cannot fly back into the US without one. If you are on a cruise that of course needs to stop at a foreign port (Jones Act) and you need to leave the cruise and come back home you will not be allowed in. Additionally, soon you will not be able to fly within the US without the Real ID Driver's License or US Passport.

Now, I think you have plenty of time to obtain these documents as I don't see us cruising again for a long time. We currently have two on the books: The Legend out of Tampa end of November and the Mardi Gras out of Port Canaveral in April 2021. We are sure we will lose the Legend soon and to bad since we have Vista Suite 4228.

Edited by Obicat Cruiser
Spelling error

Some higher up at rcl was quoted as saying it would take 6 months to gear cruises back up once they are able to start.

I'm worried now about my feb 2021 b2b at this pt. Chances of cruising this year are pretty darn slim to none. I'd say it's more a matter of when in 2021 cruises restart. Hope its before the cruiselines go bankrupt. 

27 minutes ago, Obicat Cruiser said:

...........That said, you should also obtain a full US Passport. Why? Because you cannot fly back into the US without one. If you are on a cruise that of course needs to stop at a foreign port (Jones Act) ........

You are thinking of the PVSA, not the Jones Act.   The Jones Act is for Cargo ships.

1 hour ago, Obicat Cruiser said:

My guess is the State is calling you in because you have yet to obtain a Real ID Driver's license. It is a real pain in the neck, but you cannot dance around it. Here is a link to DHSMV that lists all the documents you need to bring to prove that you are in fact a legal US citizen.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/what-to-bring/u-s-citizen/

That said, you should also obtain a full US Passport. Why? Because you cannot fly back into the US without one. If you are on a cruise that of course needs to stop at a foreign port (Jones Act) and you need to leave the cruise and come back home you will not be allowed in. Additionally, soon you will not be able to fly within the US without the Real ID Driver's License or US Passport.

Now, I think you have plenty of time to obtain these documents as I don't see us cruising again for a long time. We currently have two on the books: The Legend out of Tampa end of November and the Mardi Gras out of Port Canaveral in April 2021. We are sure we will lose the Legend soon and to bad since we have Vista Suite 4228.

There are provisions in the WHTI regulations that allow the waiver of the passport requirement for emergencies and humanitarian reasons, so flying back to the US without one isn't entirely out of the question (might involve delay and red tape, but they aren't going to strand passengers in a foreign country). Each passenger has to assess their own risk for having to leave the cruise early for an emergency (for most it's a very low risk) and then decide if they are comfortable with that risk. Millions of people travel every year without passports on closed loop cruises with no issues at all. The PVSA would be implicated if you departed the cruise in a US port other than the departure port and CBP would fine the cruise line, who in turn would pass the fine on to you. As I understand it this fine is also subject to waiver because of an emergency, but it's not something that I've researched a lot.

OP, I have heard of other people cruising with the set of documents that you have (temp license/expired license) and I see no reason why they wouldn't be acceptable now. If I were in your shoes I would do everything I could to get a permanent license before the cruise. If you do decide to apply for a passport either keep a copy of your birth certificate (it can used to board the cruise) or obtain another copy of it from the issuing authority to have as a back up. 

Actually, The two acts seem to overlap.

How does the Jones Act affect cruise ships?
THE JONES ACT (U.S. Cabotage Law)

The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ships of Non-U.S registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S ports. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships.

What is required to fly within the US 2020?

Beginning October 1, 2021, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver's license, state-issued enhanced driver's license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

REAL ID | Transportation Security Administration

What happens if you don't have a real ID by 2020?

By October 2021, if you don't have a Real ID, passport or trusted traveler program card (such as Global Entry), you will not be able to fly. ... This is serious: If you don't present a Real ID, valid passport, or trusted traveler program card, such as Global Entry or Nexus, you will not be allowed to fly.

46 minutes ago, Obicat Cruiser said:
Actually, The two acts seem to overlap.

How does the Jones Act affect cruise ships?
THE JONES ACT (U.S. Cabotage Law)

The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ships of Non-U.S registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S ports. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships.

Aren't those in fact 2 separate and distinct laws?

I am by no means being snarky, I truly don't understand if they are or are not different laws, I hear the 2 terms used interchangeably so often.

Sorry for the Wikipedia links, I know it isn't 100% reliable but they are quick and easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

There are provisions in the WHTI regulations that allow the waiver of the passport requirement for emergencies and humanitarian reasons, so flying back to the US without one isn't entirely out of the question (might involve delay and red tape, but they aren't going to strand passengers in a foreign country). Each passenger has to assess their own risk for having to leave the cruise early for an emergency (for most it's a very low risk) and then decide if they are comfortable with that risk. Millions of people travel every year without passports on closed loop cruises with no issues at all. The PVSA would be implicated if you departed the cruise in a US port other than the departure port and CBP would fine the cruise line, who in turn would pass the fine on to you. As I understand it this fine is also subject to waiver because of an emergency, but it's not something that I've researched a lot.

OP, I have heard of other people cruising with the set of documents that you have (temp license/expired license) and I see no reason why they wouldn't be acceptable now. If I were in your shoes I would do everything I could to get a permanent license before the cruise. If you do decide to apply for a passport either keep a copy of your birth certificate (it can used to board the cruise) or obtain another copy of it from the issuing authority to have as a back up. 

I've read some stories about problems getting back. Having to go to the US embassy for help. One said a church stepped in and helped pay to get the guy home, as the cost was huge, not the same as if he had a passport, or maybe it was because he was hurt and had to be taken to the border in a ambulance laying down. 

But I've read a few horror stories where someone got sick and didnt have a passport.,I just wouldnt take the chance myself. Also seems like there used to be some scam on tourists and cruise ship pax, where they rented a car and went to get gas, and someone pulled up behind them and tapped their bumper, and being in a accident in Mexico as a foreigner they took him to the police station and demanded $800 in cash or hold him to where he would miss the ship. Wife had to get the money from the ship, big mess.

All these stories cant all be made up. Dont rent a car in Mexico and have a passport. 

Also saw someone on one of those miniped things pull out into a car and cause a accident. 

Pay for a excursion or taxi in mexico. It's a scam the stuff I've read, but it's their country. As you can see I've been on cc a long time, long enough to remember some stories. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

All post offices that did passports before are still doing them. The only thing done online is setting up an appointment for whatever office you want to go to. But even that has changed recently. You can now setup an appointment at the office or do it online. For renewals you only need the post office for the form (if you don't print it online), a new photo (if you don't have it done elsewhere) and to mail the renewal in.  

Just saw it yesterday the passport offices that are open,they are all suppose to be open by end of month .

They are behind 1300000 that is right 1 million 300,000 thousand but doing it first come first out and hope within 6 months to be back to normal!!!!

You can go to big post offices or FedEx to do all the paper work needed and also get photos taken

1 hour ago, noblewoman said:

Just saw it yesterday the passport offices that are open,they are all suppose to be open by end of month .

They are behind 1300000 that is right 1 million 300,000 thousand but doing it first come first out and hope within 6 months to be back to normal!!!!

You can go to big post offices or FedEx to do all the paper work needed and also get photos taken

I think I used CVS drug store for picture. They also do passport pictures.

Good to know FedEx will do them and paperwork too.

1 hour ago, Purvis1231 said:

Can you get a passport with an expired drivers license? 

Interesting question. My license expired because of the closed Motor Vehicle Office. It was accepted as a picture id by a bank, but in a law office where they needed a picture id for some legal paperwork it was asked if I had other id just in case when I said it was expired. (A passport always comes in handy.)

Though I don't think a driver's license is actually part of the passport application.

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've read some stories about problems getting back. Having to go to the US embassy for help. One said a church stepped in and helped pay to get the guy home, as the cost was huge, not the same as if he had a passport, or maybe it was because he was hurt and had to be taken to the border in a ambulance laying down. 

But I've read a few horror stories where someone got sick and didnt have a passport.,I just wouldnt take the chance myself. Also seems like there used to be some scam on tourists and cruise ship pax, where they rented a car and went to get gas, and someone pulled up behind them and tapped their bumper, and being in a accident in Mexico as a foreigner they took him to the police station and demanded $800 in cash or hold him to where he would miss the ship. Wife had to get the money from the ship, big mess.

All these stories cant all be made up. Dont rent a car in Mexico and have a passport. 

Also saw someone on one of those miniped things pull out into a car and cause a accident. 

Pay for a excursion or taxi in mexico. It's a scam the stuff I've read, but it's their country. As you can see I've been on cc a long time, long enough to remember some stories. 

Usually when someone makes the news it's because of a large medical bill that can't be paid in conjunction with not having a passport (which makes a better case for good travel insurance). In all of the cases that I've read it was the large medical bill that was the issue and having a passport really wouldn't have helped all that much. Again, one has to analyze one's risk. If you are participating in risky activities ashore (minipeds, ziplining, ATV driving, etc.) then that needs to be taken into account. Each person's travel needs are different and for those whose only travel is by closed loop cruise every couple of years not having a passport is a valid choice for them to make. I also remember stories on CC- the fellow who had to fly home from Puerto Vallaharta because of a minor medical issue who didn't have a passport, it took a few hours for the arrangements to be made (by the ship/port agent, not the passenger) before he was allowed on a plane back to the US where he was sent to secondary inspection which he cleared in a few minutes. Or the couple that needed to return home from Cozumel because of an emergency back home who went through a similar process. Yes, the passport is the best travel documentation that one can have, but some travelers don't need the best for the type of travel they do.