8 hours ago, Obicat Cruiser said:
What is required to fly within the US 2020?

Beginning October 1, 2021, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver's license, state-issued enhanced driver's license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

REAL ID | Transportation Security Administration

What happens if you don't have a real ID by 2020?

By October 2021, if you don't have a Real ID, passport or trusted traveler program card (such as Global Entry), you will not be able to fly. ... This is serious: If you don't present a Real ID, valid passport, or trusted traveler program card, such as Global Entry or Nexus, you will not be allowed to fly.

A passport works just fine, there is no need for a real ID DL if you have a passport. Plus as an aside you can rest assured that the deadline is going to be extended because of Covid.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Interesting question. My license expired because of the closed Motor Vehicle Office. It was accepted as a picture id by a bank, but in a law office where they needed a picture id for some legal paperwork it was asked if I had other id just in case when I said it was expired. (A passport always comes in handy.)

Though I don't think a driver's license is actually part of the passport application.

I had to show mine state issued picture ID the first time I got a passport and then had to send a birth certificate in with the application. 

Lol wow can't believe all the replies. So I am a US born citizen. Just some weird rule in my county you can only renew so often online or something. Or at a certain age they wanna make sure you still can pass the tests. 

I had a passport that expired this year just with only cruising once a year can't justify the expense. 

My son had a medical emergency onboard sailing from Long Beach to Ensenada and didn't have a passport.  After spending the night in the medical unit we left the ship to get him to the hospital in San Diego.  The ship staff was fabulous, they made all the arrangements for a driver to come onboard the ship and take us off.  It cost around $200 for him to get the proper paperwork since he didn't have a passport & only a couple hundred to have the driver take us across the boarder (that was a few hours wait) and drove right up to the ER and opened the doors for us.  I have never seen such excellent service than the staff gave my family.  It could have cost a small fortune, the moral to this story is Always have a passport & trip Insurance!  I didn't think it was necessary since we didn't fly to port & the cruise was a 4 day, very inexpensive.

Find a smaller DMV office even if you have to drive a ways to get there.  You cannot get a passport with an invalid ID.  Pay extra to have it rush delivered if you can.  

OMG...I just realized the cruise I booked last night for May 31st, my boyfriend doesn't have a passport!  I know what he will be doing this week on his vaca...Fortunately, we live very rural and it can be done at the post office and hopefully 290 days is plenty of time.

BTW...The Jones Act is Not being able to start a cruise in the US without going to a foreign port in simple terms

I don’t recall the OP mentioning the destination of the cruise but it used to be that if you were traveling to the Caribbean, you could travel with the birth certificate and an ID. I did that for a couple of cruises and in one of them it was that paper print out of the driver’s license and the birth certificate. I didn’t have any problems going out or coming back to the U. S.A. but of course is better to travel with a passport.

9 hours ago, cruisinthemed said:

My son had a medical emergency onboard sailing from Long Beach to Ensenada and didn't have a passport.  After spending the night in the medical unit we left the ship to get him to the hospital in San Diego.  The ship staff was fabulous, they made all the arrangements for a driver to come onboard the ship and take us off.  It cost around $200 for him to get the proper paperwork since he didn't have a passport & only a couple hundred to have the driver take us across the boarder (that was a few hours wait) and drove right up to the ER and opened the doors for us.  I have never seen such excellent service than the staff gave my family.  It could have cost a small fortune, the moral to this story is Always have a passport & trip Insurance!  I didn't think it was necessary since we didn't fly to port & the cruise was a 4 day, very inexpensive.

Find a smaller DMV office even if you have to drive a ways to get there.  You cannot get a passport with an invalid ID.  Pay extra to have it rush delivered if you can.  

OMG...I just realized the cruise I booked last night for May 31st, my boyfriend doesn't have a passport!  I know what he will be doing this week on his vaca...Fortunately, we live very rural and it can be done at the post office and hopefully 290 days is plenty of time.

BTW...The Jones Act is Not being able to start a cruise in the US without going to a foreign port in simple terms

What paperwork was required that cost $200? For me the moral of the story is have travel insurance because he still got home. Yes, there was a bit of delay but he still got home. The cost wouldn't have been different with a passport except for the $200 spent for the documentation and that isn't that much more than a passport. When we started cruising there was no way I could justify spending $850 for a 4 day cruise for something that at that time we might never use again.

47 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

What paperwork was required that cost $200? For me the moral of the story is have travel insurance because he still got home. Yes, there was a bit of delay but he still got home. The cost wouldn't have been different with a passport except for the $200 spent for the documentation and that isn't that much more than a passport. When we started cruising there was no way I could justify spending $850 for a 4 day cruise for something that at that time we might never use again.

When you amortize the cost of the passport over the 10, well maybe 9 1/2 years it is valid for international travel, the cost is not that much. Though we renewed ours in 20019, and who knows if we will ever be using it again. Though it is also good for domestic flights without having to get our drivers licenses enhanced. 

10 hours ago, Ellusionz said:

Lol wow can't believe all the replies. So I am a US born citizen. Just some weird rule in my county you can only renew so often online or something. Or at a certain age they wanna make sure you still can pass the tests. 

I had a passport that expired this year just with only cruising once a year can't justify the expense. 

Eh, I understand someone whose never traveled internationally and never cruised and wants to try it once not being able to justify the expense of passports... But for an annual cruise, since the passport lasts 10 years, it's really only between $10-$15 a year to have the ability to fly home mid cruise if an emergency pops up or being able to fly to catch up to the ship if you missed embarkation or miss the ship in port. I think that's a pretty worthwhile investment....

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

When you amortize the cost of the passport over the 10, well maybe 9 1/2 years it is valid for international travel, the cost is not that much. Though we renewed ours in 20019, and who knows if we will ever be using it again. Though it is also good for domestic flights without having to get our drivers licenses enhanced. 

56 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Eh, I understand someone whose never traveled internationally and never cruised and wants to try it once not being able to justify the expense of passports... But for an annual cruise, since the passport lasts 10 years, it's really only between $10-$15 a year to have the ability to fly home mid cruise if an emergency pops up or being able to fly to catch up to the ship if you missed embarkation or miss the ship in port. I think that's a pretty worthwhile investment....

Math tricks aside they expect the full amount up front and as I said that was $850 and for a 4 day cruise it wasn't an expense I chose to incur, others would make a different decision. Yes, the passport does have uses other than for international air travel but those uses don't justify the expense by themselves. If one doesn't travel internationally by air then they have options when it comes to travel documentation and they should choose the documentation that works best for their needs. 

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Math tricks aside they expect the full amount up front and as I said that was $850 and for a 4 day cruise it wasn't an expense I chose to incur, others would make a different decision. Yes, the passport does have uses other than for international air travel but those uses don't justify the expense by themselves. If one doesn't travel internationally by air then they have options when it comes to travel documentation and they should choose the documentation that works best for their needs. 

I disagree. IMO an ANNUAL cruise justify the costs. I agree that a single cruise may not. But if you have cruised annually and plan to continue cruising annually, I wouldn't consider not having a passport. Yes, it's a alot of money to fork over upfront. But after that, every year simply set aside $15 and by the time you need a renewal you will have all the saved up again.

Edited by sanger727
Just now, sanger727 said:

I disagree. IMO an ANNUAL cruise justify the costs. I agree that a single cruise may not. But if you have cruised annually and plan to continue cruising annually, I wouldn't consider not having a passport. 

That's fine, you can disagree but you can only make the decision for yourself, just as I did and just as anyone else needs to. For myself and my family's travel needs an annual cruise did not justify the expense at the time (and while we planned for future cruises after the first one there were no guarantees that we would actually book one or take one every year). 

22 hours ago, Obicat Cruiser said:
What is required to fly within the US 2020?

Beginning October 1, 2021, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver's license, state-issued enhanced driver's license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

REAL ID | Transportation Security Administration

What happens if you don't have a real ID by 2020?

By October 2021, if you don't have a Real ID, passport or trusted traveler program card (such as Global Entry), you will not be able to fly. ... This is serious: If you don't present a Real ID, valid passport, or trusted traveler program card, such as Global Entry or Nexus, you will not be allowed to fly.
Do not confuse a REAL ID with enhanced drivers license. Right now all be one state has REAL ID.

In Maryland we can only renew every other time online. Probably they want an updated photo every so often and eye test so you can’t do it online every time......so not weird, logical since licenses expire every five years or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 8/11/2020 at 9:48 AM, Ellusionz said:

It was that time again this year, had to renew my drivers license (expired) but alas everyplace was closed. Now they are open again, only taking appointments and only booking a week out (impossible to get appointment). I unfortunately HAVE to go in this year for whatever reason, can't renew online. They gave me one of those temporary printed permits (plus I still have my expired license) that will expire Feb of  next year. Will the cruise line take that if I'm not able to get an appointment by Dec (if my cruise sails) for my license?

You've got 6 months.   Plug away at booking an appointment. Doesn't  Volusia County have more than one place you can go?   I thought there were 2 in Daytona Beach and 2 in Orange City.  Several other cities may have 1 or more. 

It was that time again this year, had to renew my drivers license (expired) but alas everyplace was closed. Now they are open again, only taking appointments and only booking a week out (impossible to get appointment). I unfortunately HAVE to go in this year for whatever reason, can't renew online. They gave me one of those temporary printed permits (plus I still have my expired license) that will expire Feb of  next year. Will the cruise line take that if I'm not able to get an appointment by Dec (if my cruise sails) for my license?

I expect they would if you have some other photo ID to go with the temporary permit but you should ask the cruise line. Also there would be a question about the ports. And if you are flying that could be a hassle too. I think between now and December you can get an appointment if you make an effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro