Total Food Snob - Is Oceania Right for Me?

All_About_Food

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I was doing fine  not missing cruising too much  until now 😲😄

love those croissants

Fresh berries  for breakfast  YUMMM

And do not forget those scrumptious sticky buns! I actually switched out my usual chocolate croissant for a sticky bun this last cruise.  

10 hours ago, CintiPam said:

And do not forget those scrumptious sticky buns! I actually switched out my usual chocolate croissant for a sticky bun this last cruise.  

OH NO 😄

I finally found them  one morning

They were soggy  guess I need to get there earlier

So many good things to enjoy

I'm hungry, and I just had breakfast. Pretty much everything mentioned are regulars on our Oceania breakfast routine. I like that I get real maple syrup with pancakes or waffles. Not always the best P or W I've ever had but love the maple syrup. 

As long as we are reminiscing about the food that we are missing, I might as well mention my favorites at tea - Victoria cake & especially Paris Brest pastry.

There is another food item that unfortunately has been missing for a few years now was the lobster salad at Terrace at lunch with big chunks of lobster 😢

Edited by Paulchili

IMO Oceania’s food is the best I’ve had at sea but is it world class? What is world class? Food is subjective, what you may love others might think it’s awful and vice versa. 

I personally don’t think cruising is for you. You want Michelin star food then maybe a land holiday would be better for you visiting as many Michelin restaurants as you can. Or you could book a Cunard Queens grill cabin as the chef in the Queens Grill dining room will, if possible, make whatever food you want.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Issyalex said:

Or you could book a Cunard Queens grill cabin as the chef in the Queens Grill dining room will, if possible, make whatever food you want.

I've dined in the Queen's Grill and IMO the food in the specialty restaurants on Oceania is much better.

17 minutes ago, giustot said:

I've dined in the Queen's Grill and IMO the food in the specialty restaurants on Oceania is much better.

I agree.

In the QG you need to dress up in suit or jacket and tie every night - not what I want to do on a cruise.

At this point in my life suits for me are only for weddings and funerals.

I don't mind the occasional jacket on some cruise lines but no suits or ties.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

At this point in my life suits for me are only for weddings and funerals.

I don't mind the occasional jacket on some cruise lines but no suits or ties.

While I agree with this I've found that the last few weddings we've been to of our friends children the dress at most of them has been very casual. Pretty much as you would dress for dinner on Oceania. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paulchili said:

As long as we are reminiscing about the food that we are missing, I might as well mention my favorites at tea - Victoria cake & especially Paris Brest pastry.

There is another food item that unfortunately has been missing for a few years now was the lobster salad at Terrace at lunch with big chunks of lobster 😢

I've seen you mention the Paris Brest before and I wasn't sure what it is. I googled it and and realized I've had it quite a few time. Love it. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

While I agree with this I've found that the last few weddings we've been to of our friends children the dress at most of them has been very casual. Pretty much as you would dress for dinner on Oceania. 

I am sure you're right. It's been a while since I've attended a wedding.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:53 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Did someone say "chili dog?"

Alas, The Wienery in East Sacramento appears to have closed its doors.

Pinks in Hollywood...#1    Hot Doug's , Chicago ( now closed) #2     Actually the Chicago dog is superior to the chili dog as the all time greatest thing on a bun ( it's rumored that they were served at the last supper.... recipe from God)     Finally, Cozy Dog... the  original corn dog in Springfield IL famous  too as Abe lincoln's  home.

30706021_2011682065816345_5211772496767877120_n.jpg

6 minutes ago, JPR said:

Surprisingly, the corn dogs served at Disney’s California Adventure are excellent.

one of the best food items served at the Disney parks...

Right after their churros - the best I've ever had (including those in Mexico and Spain). 😀

13 minutes ago, JPR said:

Surprisingly, the corn dogs served at Disney’s California Adventure are excellent.

one of the best food items served at the Disney parks...

Skip the "dogs" and churros and all the other food venues inside either Disneyland or California Adventure except for the Carthay Circle Restaurant where you will enjoy seasonal cuisine that will rival many of the best fine dining spots in SoCal. Even their bar knows how to correctly make truly classic cocktails including Aviations and Sidecars.

However, once the Parks (and the restaurants) reopen, do know that you'll have to do that particular reservation on day one/hour one of  the booking window.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

For now, Disneyland and California Adventure have, er, gone to the dogs! No indoor dining is allowed.

Cathay Circle is indeed a fine restaurant, the best in the two parks by far. (Though I do have a sentimental attachment From childhood to the atmospheric Blue Bayou...) 

19 hours ago, JPR said:

For now, Disneyland and California Adventure have, er, gone to the dogs! No indoor dining is allowed.

Cathay Circle is indeed a fine restaurant, the best in the two parks by far. (Though I do have a sentimental attachment From childhood to the atmospheric Blue Bayou...) 

Ill vote for the Blue Bayou too......the Monte Cristo sanwitch  was a star there so much so that they now offer it in 3 venues  in the park when I was last there.......   Still waiting for an invite  to get in " 33"

39 minutes ago, JPR said:

Agreed. There also used to be a delicious (and somewhat healthier) Salad Chiffonade in the Blue Bayou menu, but it’s no more...

Somewhat sadly, Blue Bayou became pretty much expensive fast food when the Disney Resort decided it's "A game" would be Carthay Circle in California Adventure (w/ delectables including fried biscuits and maple duck breast).

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disney-california-adventure/carthay-circle-restaurant/menus/dinner/

There's also fine dining at Napa Rose in the Grand Californian Hotel. But, IMO, Carthay Circle has broader appeal. 

13 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Somewhat sadly, Blue Bayou became pretty much expensive fast food when the Disney Resort decided it's "A game" would be Carthay Circle in California Adventure (w/ delectables including fried biscuits and maple duck breast).

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disney-california-adventure/carthay-circle-restaurant/menus/dinner/

There's also fine dining at Napa Rose in the Grand Californian Hotel. But, IMO, Carthay Circle has broader appeal. 

Tho off topic......Here is an interesting tid bit I learned as an investor in Disney....   The food sales alone, in the park pay 100% of the entire parks operating cost meaning every paid admission is 100% Net Net.

15338766_1737033829947838_1617702137729648833_n.jpg

Food is important to us for any holiday. Almost the first thing we research for a land-based holiday is the restaurants. It's what led us to Oceania for the one cruise we've done with them. And, assuming it ever feels safe to us to cruise again, it will lead us back to Oceania.

I'd rate the food as "good bistro" quality. Certainly not European Michelin star quality (I know that can vary across the world) or, indeed, places that I'd hope might be awarded a star in due course. But we enjoyed the food in the dining room on the nights we ate there. And we enjoyed the speciality restaurants, with one exception where we didnt think they hit the mark. It's the sort of quality that, if it was a local restaurant, it'd be on our list of places to visit regularly.

• Like 4