SPECIALTY DINING QUESTION

elaineb

On 8/12/2020 at 2:52 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

You don't have to but they expect it. We usually leave a 20 US.

I've never gotten the feeling that they expect a tip.

We always add our tip to the bill at the conclusion of the meal.

2 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

The dinner menu was centered around my stepsons then gf... She doesn't eat that and allergic to this. Whatever she can do to be center of attention. 

Did you consider that she might actually have food allergies?

7 hours ago, yogimax said:

Did you consider that she might actually have food allergies?

When I met her, a year earlier, she loved shrimp and most shellfish, 6 months later she was allergic. Then she thought she might have celiac disease so she went gluten free. My BiL does have celiac disease so I know a lot about it. 2 weeks after that she decided to be vegan and GF... Every few weeks it was something new... Now she wants steak and shellfish all the time. 
So in answer to your question... When I first me her, I believed she did have allergies and I respected her diet decisions. Then I got to know her and realized it is just for attention.  

3 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

When I met her, a year earlier, she loved shrimp and most shellfish, 6 months later she was allergic. Then she thought she might have celiac disease so she went gluten free. My BiL does have celiac disease so I know a lot about it. 2 weeks after that she decided to be vegan and GF... Every few weeks it was something new... Now she wants steak and shellfish all the time. 
So in answer to your question... When I first me her, I believed she did have allergies and I respected her diet decisions. Then I got to know her and realized it is just for attention.  

Wow - some form of hypchondria?

• Haha 1

I just checked my email from last year. We paid $69.99 (no tips or tax included) for 3 nights specialty restaurant dining on Vision of the Seas last year.  As others have said, we tip additionally as well - both on the receipt and in cash as we are aware the what goes on the card may go to people behind the scenes that we don't know about and we want them to get a share as well.

The tip is included in the price.

No need to tip extra

They do not expect more

There is no need to top more than what is expected.....in any restaurant or bar. 

Never feel guilty not tipping more.....you already tipped 

Sometimes I leave before the waiter gets a chance to hand me a $0.00 ticket with a tip line

I never sign a $0.00 receipt in a specialty restaurant or bar.  

Tipping is a private and personal choice that does not need to be "bragged" about.  Tip extra if you want, but never feel obligated to do so, or "pressured" when a blank receipt is handed to you.  

• Like 1

Joseph2017China is absolutely correct - there is no "obligation" (written, spoken or implied) that any of us tip over and above what the cruise line already adds in every single food or beverage purchase made on board (or in advance).  Our decision whether or not to tip additionally (and how much) is always made on a case-by-case basis, and is ENTIRELY predicated on the quality and level of service provided by those who serve us.  For example, we like to find one or two bars with excellent bartenders and stick to them all week.  The more "generous" the barkeep, the more generous we tend to be in return.

I realize your original question had more to do with tipping, so forgive me if I stray too far from the path here.  Can't post without putting in a vote for Giovanni's Table.  The food and atmosphere are great.  We always go with at least one other couple, so we get to try almost everything on the menu.  Sometimes need a wheelbarrow ride to get back to the room after (or a LONG, SLOW walk on the Running Track Deck)...

So that's my two cents - spend them wisely.

9 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

The tip is included in the price.

No need to tip extra

They do not expect more

There is no need to top more than what is expected.....in any restaurant or bar. 

Never feel guilty not tipping more.....you already tipped 

Sometimes I leave before the waiter gets a chance to hand me a $0.00 ticket with a tip line

I never sign a $0.00 receipt in a specialty restaurant or bar.  

Tipping is a private and personal choice that does not need to be "bragged" about.  Tip extra if you want, but never feel obligated to do so, or "pressured" when a blank receipt is handed to you.  

According to our waiter in Jamies on Symphony they receive about $3 with the bulk going into the tip pool.  They keep for themselves anything additional left as a tip. In Jamies our waiter said they all pool the nightly extra tips and that is why they all help each other when things are busy. Since you said you never tip extra I will add we always leave extra. 

• Like 1

The last 2 times we ate at Chops was a huge disappointment.  Overall food was not worth the price we paid, in fact, had better meals in the MDR.  Service was off too.   Will be interesting to see after Covid but at this point, it will be a very long time before we go back if ever.

On 9/5/2020 at 2:07 AM, JTBCruiser said:

The last 2 times we ate at Chops was a huge disappointment.  Overall food was not worth the price we paid, in fact, had better meals in the MDR.  Service was off too.   Will be interesting to see after Covid but at this point, it will be a very long time before we go back if ever.

Wow , what a sweeping statement... what did the staff say when you pointed out your huge disappointment? Seeing that there is about twenty six ships not sure how many have chops , they probably all would be happy that you will never be back . Happy dining in the MDR 

Hey Hogbay did someone pee in your Cheerios down under??!!  It was on the Grandeur and Rhapsody.  Both were huge disappointments for the price paid.  My point which may not have been clear enough was to read reviews of Chops on ships you are going to cruise with to see if it's worth the price.  We like RCI and have had very good experiences but this was a case of not good food or service. 

A Texan would know a thing or two about meat , Chops meat is supplied frozen and not cooked over flame or hot coals so can't ever be perfect . I can;t recall a time ever that we were not asked " how is your steak Sir/Mam'm"  when we have first started and at the end when we have finished the meal . 🙂 

HEY JTBCruiser is your water supply poisoned again affecting your cognitive function ?

https://www.eater.com/2018/10/1/17915698/how-to-complain-restaurant-send-food-back

6 hours ago, George C said:

While normally eat most meals in specialty restaurants and while they are not always perfect I find they are way better than mdr. Just signed up for ultimate dinning for Liberty at a cost of just 154 for the week, which is pretty cheap.

It is the UDP that makes it well worth the price.  We have the UDP for the Harmony 2021 TA, 14 nights and 12 sea day lunches which makes it under $11.00 per meal.  happy cruising

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

It is the UDP that makes it well worth the price.  We have the UDP for the Harmony 2021 TA, 14 nights and 12 sea day lunches which makes it under $11.00 per meal.  happy cruising

Definitely a bargain. We are in a suite so we even get breakfast in specialty your TA sounds great. 

15 hours ago, Hogbay said:

A Texan would know a thing or two about meat , Chops meat is supplied frozen and not cooked over flame or hot coals so can't ever be perfect . I can;t recall a time ever that we were not asked " how is your steak Sir/Mam'm"  when we have first started and at the end when we have finished the meal . 🙂 

HEY JTBCruiser is your water supply poisoned again affecting your cognitive function ?

https://www.eater.com/2018/10/1/17915698/how-to-complain-restaurant-send-food-back

You are as funny as inflamed hemorrhoids.  On a positive note, I'm sure you are a really good guy who enjoys a good meal, and steak, same here, we just disagree on the outcome of Chops.  Our 1st experience was really good, unfortunately, the other 2 times were less than stellar.  Yes, I did bring it to the attention of the server and head waiter and they simply blamed it on the new chef, my response was you are going to lose customers.