10 hours ago, mek said:

I don't agree with people wanting to cruise. Right now cruising is perceived negatively by the public.   To begin with, It was never a large % of the population that had ever cruised and I don't think people will be knocking the gates down to get on a ship when cruising resumes.

If the regulations are too restrictive, only the most die hards will be interested in sailing.  Right now bookings for 2021 are looking ok, but a lot of that has to do with L&S and 2020 rebookings.

It's a mess for sure and one that I don't feel will be resolved easily or quickly.

Agree.  Per TSA, airline traffic last week was down 75% from last year.  Hotel occupancy for July was down 40% from 2019 (avg room rate down 60%).  Walt Disney World just reduced scheduled park hours for September by 2 hours due to lower than expected attendance.  If people aren't comfortable spending a day in a theme park, a night in a hotel or a few hours in air  can't see them signing up for a week on cruise ship.  

On 8/13/2020 at 4:41 PM, zekekelso said:

The AMC movie theater chain will be selling tickets for 15 cents when they reopen from Covid. It’s giving them great positive publicity. And while 15 cents ain’t much it’s (1) more than they are getting now and (2) they’ll still make big bucks off soda and popcorn sales. 

So how about it Royal? Can we get some 15 cent cruises? Alright, maybe that’s a bit greedy. Look back and see what rooms cost when Royal first started operating. 

I saw today walmart is getting into the drive in movie business. Sure surprised me. Setting up in 160 parking lots. I think they said they are showing ET tonight in New Jersey.

19 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Agree.  Per TSA, airline traffic last week was down 75% from last year.  Hotel occupancy for July was down 40% from 2019 (avg room rate down 60%).  Walt Disney World just reduced scheduled park hours for September by 2 hours due to lower than expected attendance.  If people aren't comfortable spending a day in a theme park, a night in a hotel or a few hours in air  can't see them signing up for a week on cruise ship.  

I stayed in a Miami hotel last month, and the rate was pretty much the same as it was 11 months earlier 

I’ll take a 15 cent cruise!! 😬 Just like you saying people will then spend money concessions at the theater, if pax only pay 15 cents to go, they’re gonna book specialty dining, drinks package, excursions, spa treatments, etc, so cruise lines would still do well! It’s a great marketing idea!

6 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I’ll take a 15 cent cruise!! 😬 Just like you saying people will then spend money concessions at the theater, if pax only pay 15 cents to go, they’re gonna book specialty dining, drinks package, excursions, spa treatments, etc, so cruise lines would still do well! It’s a great marketing idea!

Have fun on Hood of the Seas.

On 8/14/2020 at 6:11 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

As you know if you live in the NY tristate area you have to quarantine upon return from many states that are normally tourist states like Florida. There are also places like Hawaii that require you to quarantine upon arrival. My son left for St Thomas last Thursday. On Tuesday NY added the Virgin Islands to the quarantine list. My son told us that starting today nonessential business is closing in St Thomas. Restaurants are only take out. Air traffic is down and hotel stays are down because there is no place to go in addition to being cautious of covid. He is booked in an airbnb on the beach so they purchased liquor and food and will also do take out. He sent us pictures of Megan's Bay and it was empty. He said it was a little scary seeing it like that.

Edited by Iamcruzin
18 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Nope, really cheap cruises would also attract a lot of people with no extra money.  I have the money to spend and if I got a really low price, I probably wouldn't spend anything more than I usually do.

Edited by mek
On 8/14/2020 at 2:46 PM, BND said:

We've booked several cruises for the next 18 months (mid 2021-spring 2022).  The lastest one is on Enchantment. All the GS are gone and all the mid-ship JS are gone.  People are booking.

Just because what you see as available, does not mean that  what you don't see is booked. Cruiseline might be holding back available cabins in that category for one reason or another. It's their option to do that when every they feel like it.

Edited by Jimbo
2 hours ago, mek said:

Nope, really cheap cruises would also attract a lot of people with no extra money.  I have the money to spend and if I got a really low price, I probably wouldn't spend anything more than I usually do.

I agree my spending wouldn't change either. The drink package at a reasonable price pre cruise and if they offer a good discount on board for a specialty restaurant is what we spend.  Don't book excursions, purchase pictures or buy gold by the inch.

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just because what you see as available, does not mean that  what you don't see is booked. Cruiseline might be holding back available cabins in that category for one reason or another. It's their option to do that when every they feel like it.

I use our good friends who are our TA's, but whatever makes you feel better.

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

which brings up a good point. Commissions on 15 cent cruises Are gonna make life tough for TAs. 

The cruise is only15 cents and people would still be looking for perks from the travel agent.

3 hours ago, BND said:

I use our good friends who are our TA's, but whatever makes you feel better.

That means exactly nothing, the cruiseline has capabilities to block out cabins that are not booked. I'm not talking about cruise sites  you are searching for cabins on blocking out the view of available cabins.

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

As you know if you live in the NY tristate area you have to quarantine upon return from many states that are normally tourist states like Florida. There are also places like Hawaii that require you to quarantine upon arrival. My son left for St Thomas last Thursday. On Tuesday NY added the Virgin Islands to the quarantine list. My son told us that starting today nonessential business is closing in St Thomas. Restaurants are only take out. Air traffic is down and hotel stays are down because there is no place to go in addition to being cautious of covid. He is booked in an airbnb on the beach so they purchased liquor and food and will also do take out. He sent us pictures of Megan's Bay and it was empty. He said it was a little scary seeing it like that.

That is sad to hear that St Thomas is having problems.  Our Son lived there for a little over a year while on a gap year from college.  He worked at a popular restaurant on the waterfront and made some buddies he keeps in touch with on a regular basis.  He recently heard the restaurant went out of business due to covid situation and that alot of islanders are really hurting for money and food.

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That is sad to hear that St Thomas is having problems.  Our Son lived there for a little over a year while on a gap year from college.  He worked at a popular restaurant on the waterfront and made some buddies he keeps in touch with on a regular basis.  He recently heard the restaurant went out of business due to covid situation and that alot of islanders are really hurting for money and food.

My son told us that the few tourists that are there are New Yorkers and people from Long Island. I guess since it was the only place to go that didn't require quarantine upon return up until last Tuesday it was a popular spot to vacation for those who live the NY area. He tried to haggle in the jewelry stores but they weren't having it. They kept telling him that this is the last day they would be open. He didn't find any bargains.  He is having a great time even with limitations. He has been face timing us and sending pictures. I told my wife that I wouldn't mind spending a week on an island instead of cruising. We don't shop on the islands any more and as long as there is take out we would be fine just snorkeling and enjoying the beaches. Liquor stores are essential so no problem with that.