Cruise Critic Community
Arizona Wildcat

Cruises resume from Italy

4 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Mein Schiff 6 is doing similar cruise in the Greek Islands - one is only allowed to go on a shore excursion booked via the ship.

I don´t like to go on booked excursions in the first place- so I would rather stay out at sea.

That‘s the one we booked.

We have a similar dislike for group excursions. We will either just stay on board or book one of the bike tours (if available). Fresh air and small group...

If there would be no flying involved I would rather have booked the MS6 to the Greek Islands. The weather in and around the Greek Islands will sure be much warmer then the Fjords in October. Also the MS6 is a bit different then the twin sisters MS1 and MS2- which would have been of great interesst for me as a big ship buff! LOL.

Can´t wait to hear from you experiences with TUI Cruises. The " Esszimmer" is a wonderful spot for dinner and I overheard some fellow passengers telling that the " Diamond" on board MS 3 to MS 6 have an outdoor option for dinner. I have no idea if that is actually true.

20 hours ago, leck57 said:

MSC...Italy...that will end well.

Celebrity cruises Europe, why don't they have any ships sailing? Can't blame the CDC, they have no jurisdiction there.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Celebrity cruises Europe, why don't they have any ships sailing? Can't blame the CDC, they have no jurisdiction there.

Lack of American passengers... 

TUI Cruises started sailing. They are a joint venture with RCG. Pretty sure the mother company is watching closely.

Edited by Miaminice

@Germancruiser

We are not really worried about the rather short flight. We wouldn’t do long flights yet.

I know we will like the ship. We are both fans of modern design and have always said that the new Mein Schiffs rival S class  and even E class. Beautiful ships! We‘ll see how much our usual reservations will affect the cruise... but we tend to keep to ourselves.

Osteria and Surf & Turf offer outdoor seating. Already checked since we prefer to sit outside. Not just in the current situation.

8 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Agreed ... I would far rather sail out of “Venice" than say ... “Miami"

Absolutely I think US ports are going to be out of action for sometime to come. It may be that cruise companies open up European itineraries first where the virus is more under control than the US. May only be for European cruisers too

9 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Agreed ... I would far rather sail out of “Venice" than say ... “Miami"

Amen to that!!!!

Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2020 at 6:17 PM, hvbaskey said:

This would be a no go for me. 

We wouldn't cruise either if the only way off was on ship excursions.

Being herded around in masks, not allowed to leave the "protected" (captive) group.  Not our idea of a vacation....   They'll find people to do it, the question is how many.  Perhaps if they're sailing at 50% they can "fill" the ship.

Edited by bouhunter

32 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

We wouldn't cruise either if the only way off was on ship excursions.

Being herded around in masks, not allowed to leave the "protected" (captive) group.  Not our idea of a vacation....   They'll find people to do it, the question is how many.  Perhaps if they're sailing at 50% they can "fill" the ship.

We would, and we almost always book private excursions, but to be able to sail again this, for us, is a small sacrifice.  But that's why we all have choices.  It is most likely a short term protocol until vaccines are available for all.

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

It is most likely a short term protocol until vaccines are available for all.

I hope you're right about that but wouldn't bet my check on it.

19 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Just watched the Grandiosa sailaway!!!  So good to see a ship sailing with passengers again...wishing them a successful healthy journey....the whole world is watching, hopefully the only story at the end will be what a great trip it was for everyone!

Despite the fact that cruise passengers on board Grandiosa will be submitted to inconveniences that did not exist before Covid, it’s so nice to finally hear news about cruises starting again! 

It provides hope for a slow return to cruising life and reopening of the tourism industry!

I wish passengers of Grandiosa, a beautiful trip, with only good memories to bring home and may be a few funny anecdotes.

Thank you OP for posting! 

8 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Not only American but MSC is limited to Schengen passports.  Even some Schengen passport holders cannot get to Genoa or Bari.

This is an experiment. Possibly a very expensive one.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not only American but MSC is limited to Schengen passports.  Even some Schengen passport holders cannot get to Genoa or Bari.

This is an experiment. Possibly a very expensive one.

They are sailing and they must have confidence that it will be successful. Meanwhile the Blue Chip Panel that RCL hired just sits back and collects their fees. It’s been together for a few months, yet no sailings and probably none in the near future.

Bring privately owned and with the uninterrupted backup of their huge cargo shipping operations MSC is more willing to take a chance than the publicly held US based cruise only companies.

Nobody knows for sure what the solution is. If it’s a vaccine, depending on how successful it is, it might be developed too late to save the industry. Hats off to MSC for at least trying to mitigate it early. They’re doing it the right way, control what you can if successful, mold it to fit the normal practice. That’s what leaders get the big bucks for, anybody can lead in the good times. It’s not just raising prices and cutting cost.

2 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Bring privately owned and with the uninterrupted backup of their huge cargo shipping operations MSC is more willing to take a chance than the publicly held US based cruise only companies.

FYI:

TUI Cruises are sailing again - and did so before MSC.

Aida are sailing again.

TUI is 51 % owned by Royal Caribbean and Aida is owned by Carnival.

@Miaminice- I am sure you will love the MS6. MS1 and 2 are almost the same- and they are really very modern in desing-  in some places a bit to modern for my taste. I would compare the Diamond area on board TUI ships ( well 1 and 2 anyway) with Eden on board Edge and Apex.

I just checked on worldometer the numbers of infections for the last few days- it seems the cases in the US are going down a bit now.

I don´t know if there would be enough passengers for X- ships - and there are some around Europe- from the Schengen countries to fill their ships to 50% capacity. They could start with the Apex- to test the waters...!

10 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I just checked on worldometer the numbers of infections for the last few days- it seems the cases in the US are going down a bit now.

Florida's numbers the last few days are the lowest in 2 months.....hoping it continues in this direction!

I cross fingers that the trend will continue. I sometimes watch South Beach on earth cam- what an eerie sight- almost totaly void of any trafic- in the street or on the side walks..!

14 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Florida's numbers the last few days are the lowest in 2 months.....hoping it continues in this direction!

Hope cases drop everywhere.  What nags me is 1918.  Without a good vaccine, large numbers of people getting vaccinated and improved tests covid is going to continue.  Worldwide cases holding at a huge number and flu season coming up don't bode well in the next couple months.

8 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Hope cases drop everywhere.  What nags me is 1918.  Without a good vaccine, large numbers of people getting vaccinated and improved tests covid is going to continue.  Worldwide cases holding at a huge number and flu season coming up don't bode well in the next couple months.

Agree,  but with all the vaccines in trial now I just have to believe that at least one will get approval, which should help.