Excursions on upcoming Princess cruise

Mare10

I hope I'm asking this in the right forum!  We are booked for our first Panama Canal Cruise in April next year.  While I'm well aware that it may be cancelled, I'm still looking forward to it and planning excursions gives me something to do!  We'll be aboard the Coral and sail from Ft Lauderdale to LA.  There are so many excursions to choose from it's overwhelming.  Some are quite pricey as well!  For safety in these areas I'm assuming we should go through the Cruise Line for excursions.  I'm mostly looking for advice in Ft Amador Panama, Puntarenas Costa Rica and San Juan Del Sur Nicaragua.  Appreciate any suggestions you can give me!  We are "seniors" but relatively active.  I just don't do zip lines!  Thank you in advance!

Marilyn

Edited by Mare10

Here's to good luck there will be no cancellation!  Except for San Juan del Sur (haven't been there) there is nothing inherently unsafe about selecting a non ship excursion.  Often times you can find excursions arranged by fellow cruisers from your Roll Call using reputable operators. Of course, sometimes it is just easier to go through the ship and there are the usual ad hoc tour operators near the pier if wish to go that route.  Ft. Amador is probably where you have the broadest slate of tours... you will need to decide if you want tours of Panama City and its history, eco type tour that includes a overhead tram through the jungle canopy (not a zip), a tour that includes the Embera Indians or dig a little deeper into the workings of the Canal.

Forgot to add one thing... in Costa Rica, if you select a tour that includes the oxcart factory, in the past the factory was closed on Sunday.  So if you call at Puntarenas on a Sunday that part of the tour may be a bust.

6 hours ago, BillB48 said:

Here's to good luck there will be no cancellation!  Except for San Juan del Sur (haven't been there) there is nothing inherently unsafe about selecting a non ship excursion.  Often times you can find excursions arranged by fellow cruisers from your Roll Call using reputable operators. Of course, sometimes it is just easier to go through the ship and there are the usual ad hoc tour operators near the pier if wish to go that route.  Ft. Amador is probably where you have the broadest slate of tours... you will need to decide if you want tours of Panama City and its history, eco type tour that includes a overhead tram through the jungle canopy (not a zip), a tour that includes the Embera Indians or dig a little deeper into the workings of the Canal.

Thanks so much Bill!   Actually I did book a tour in Cartagena that several from our cc roll call have joined.  It's a tour with Dora that was highly recommended by friends.  Having been to Mexico a few times we decided to skip that for excursions.  I'll keep looking for ones in the other ports.  We know this will most likely be our only time on this cruise and want to make the most of it for our 50th wedding anniversary!

6 hours ago, BillB48 said:

Forgot to add one thing... in Costa Rica, if you select a tour that includes the oxcart factory, in the past the factory was closed on Sunday.  So if you call at Puntarenas on a Sunday that part of the tour may be a bust.

Good to know!  We are scheduled to be there on a Sunday!

3 hours ago, Mare10 said:

Thanks so much Bill!   Actually I did book a tour in Cartagena that several from our cc roll call have joined.  It's a tour with Dora that was highly recommended by friends.  Having been to Mexico a few times we decided to skip that for excursions.  I'll keep looking for ones in the other ports.  We know this will most likely be our only time on this cruise and want to make the most of it for our 50th wedding anniversary!

One Canal cruise is like eating one potato chip!  My next cruise and it is a Canal cruise is scheduled for February, so I too have fingers crossed.  Have read nothing but positive things on this forum about Dora in Cartagena.  Congrats on the big Five-0!!

20 hours ago, BillB48 said:

One Canal cruise is like eating one potato chip!  My next cruise and it is a Canal cruise is scheduled for February, so I too have fingers crossed.  Have read nothing but positive things on this forum about Dora in Cartagena.  Congrats on the big Five-0!!

Bill.... another question for you!  I noticed someone asking about Costa Rica on this board and were told there's a board for Costa Rica..... I'm not seeing it!  Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Mare10 said:

Bill.... another question for you!  I noticed someone asking about Costa Rica on this board and were told there's a board for Costa Rica..... I'm not seeing it!  Thanks in advance.

That one they like to hide!  You have to look under Caribbean forums to find it.  Guess the powers that be did want Costa Rica to have access to the Pacific😉.  Here's the link...  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/120-costa-rica/

Thanks!  I think I found an excursion!  Did you ever do the Corobici River Raft Float Scenic Drive and Lunch?  It's through the cruise line but looks like a lot of fun and not too expensive!

12 hours ago, Mare10 said:

Thanks!  I think I found an excursion!  Did you ever do the Corobici River Raft Float Scenic Drive and Lunch?  It's through the cruise line but looks like a lot of fun and not too expensive!

No, the river excursion we did was on the Tarcoles River a little closer to Puntarenas.  That wasn't a float trip but on a good sized launch and a stop in the town of Esparza (IIRC).  I am sure the Corobici is very different than the Tarcoles River where we were.  Our river portion of the excursion was on the tidal part of the river where it empties into the Gulf of Nicoya, lots of birds along with some of the largest crocodiles I've seen.  Not a place for rafts!!!😉

10 hours ago, Mare10 said:

Bill... was that a private excursion?  Any suggestions for San Juan Del Sur?

No, it was through the ship.  SJDS is uncharted territory for me, but it is near the proposed Pacific entrance start of the Nicaraguan Canal.  However I seriously doubt there is anything see since that project has disappeared, while Panama takes a sigh of relief.