Everything... project Leonardo/Prima class!

29 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

There's that strange looking bow again, just like the Celebrity Edge, Celebrity Apex and Scarlet Lady. Anybody know why new ships are going with this bow design? Hydrodynamics?

"The ship will have an inverted bow, which will improve its flow through the water, reducing fuel consumption and pitching in head seas." - so they say....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

"The ship will have an inverted bow, which will improve its flow through the water, reducing fuel consumption and pitching in head seas." - so they say....

Thanks Two Wheels Only. That's what I thought (except for the pitching in head seas part - didn't know that). Looks kind of strange but I am already getting used to/liking it (unlike that magic carpet on the Celebrity Edge - looks like painters' scaffolding hanging off the starboard side of the ship).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

NCL is falling behind in the "big ships" race. Several lines are going larger than NCL's largest while also going smaller than NCL's largest. By the time that the Leonardo Class is done, Encore wont even be in the top 30 as far as size/gross tonnage.

And...?  Not everything is about size.  I've also sailed RCI, on Explorer and Anthem.  I can't imagine sailing on an Oasis-class ship, those things are massive!  RCI's Quantum (and Quantum-Ultra) and NCL's Breakaway (and Breakaway-Plus) ships are about the largest I can see being on.  I honestly give NCL some credit for NOT going for the size crown and even going a little SMALLER with the Leonardo-class ships.  There are just some places those super-mega ships can't go.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

how do you have access to the live pics?
thought you worked for the German shipyard but the Ninja Turtle class ships are being built in Italy?

Do you work for NCL?

and will this ship go through the old Panama Locks or the new one?

I am not affiliated with any of the shipyards nor with NCL, I just enjoy the new builds. Everything I share is found through open sources online (social media, websites, etc). :classic_smile:

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, hallux said:

And...?  Not everything is about size.  I've also sailed RCI, on Explorer and Anthem.  I can't imagine sailing on an Oasis-class ship, those things are massive!  RCI's Quantum (and Quantum-Ultra) and NCL's Breakaway (and Breakaway-Plus) ships are about the largest I can see being on.  I honestly give NCL some credit for NOT going for the size crown and even going a little SMALLER with the Leonardo-class ships.  There are just some places those super-mega ships can't go.

Other lines are building larger AND smaller than Breakaway Plus. They are building new ships across the entire size spectrum. There are already ships that are built using the same "platform" as the Leonardo ships. NCL is following, not leading. 

• Like 2

NCL has ships for 2000, 2400 and 4000 passengers(roughly,not exactly). They are closing the gap with the leonardo class(3300 passengers). Then they do have everything between 2000 and 4000 passengers. NCL does have reasons why they are not building anything over rougly 4000 passengers. And for anyone who wants to have smaller and more exclusive ships they still have Oceania and Regent.So they do have everything they want.

And if they lead or follow doesn`t make any difference in the final result.I think they are a bit more conservative and let others take the risk and once they see it works they do it.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the rendering!  Looks very high end, and definitely not mass-market.  I agree this is more the direction NCL is trying to achieve.  The ship will be smaller too, and I hope the entire ship follows this high-end trend.  I would love to see something more sophisticated and adult-oriented, perhaps without all the attractions on the upper outer decks.  I'm not saying all of NCL should offer that, but a choice of ships would be great.  People can pick what appeals to them.  Looking forward to more and I have very high hopes for the Leonardo Class!  I'm so over the Breakaway/Breakaway Plus Class.  Time to move on.     

I agree that too much outside space is taken up by the slides/race track that could be used to let us spread out a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BonnieJeanne said:

I agree that too much outside space is taken up by the slides/race track that could be used to let us spread out a bit

welcome to NCL where FREE is a dirty 4 letter word under Del Rio's leadership.

he prizes revenue generating over free customer comfort.

you want more space?

Pay extra and get a Vibe pass.

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

NCL is falling behind in the "big ships" race. Several lines are going larger than NCL's largest while also going smaller than NCL's largest. By the time that the Leonardo Class is done, Encore wont even be in the top 30 as far as size/gross tonnage.

NCLH should do a better job of exposing Oceania and Regent SS to Haven guests. Let Haven guests who don't want/need go-karts and slides know about the higher-end lines and even let Haven guests book those lines from the Haven desk.

Not all of us that aren’t “haven guests” want slides and go karts, either. I’d love to have more space on the upper decks. Maybe they should get rid of the haven and encourage all that can afford that experience go on the regent and Oceania lines, leaving more space on NCL for the rest of us [emoji41]

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

NCL has ships for 2000, 2400 and 4000 passengers(roughly,not exactly). They are closing the gap with the leonardo class(3300 passengers).

And how OLD are their smaller ships? Instead of 6 140KGT ships, why not 2 smaller, 2 medium, and 2 larger ships?

17 minutes ago, BonnieJeanne said:

Maybe they should get rid of the haven and encourage all that can afford that experience go on the regent and Oceania lines, leaving more space on NCL for the rest of us emoji41.png

Would you be willing to spend more on NCL to make up for the loss of income after removing the Haven?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The water slides don’t need much space. 
if you look at msc seaside or the scarlet lady you can see whah is possible with this type of ship. We will see how ncl use it. 

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

if you look at msc seaside or the scarlet lady you can see whah is possible with this type of ship.

In the case of the Scarlet Lady - a comparatively postage-stamp sized pool to support 3,000+ people?  I know the pool on the Bliss is small, but I believe the one on Scarlet Lady is even smaller!

Now that I think of it - maybe Virgin had some inside knowledge that this whole thing was going to happen and realized people may not be anxious to get into a pool on a cruise ship in the future...

1 hour ago, BonnieJeanne said:

Not all of us that aren’t “haven guests” want slides and go karts, either. I’d love to have more space on the upper decks. Maybe they should get rid of the haven and encourage all that can afford that experience go on the regent and Oceania lines, leaving more space on NCL for the rest of us emoji41.png

And maybe us "haven guests" like the other things on the big ships, and that is why we don't go on Regent and Oceania.....Also, they would need to make up the money lost....I am guessing by increasing costs on all the other rooms and add ons.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eroller said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't pollute the atrium and put a Jumbotron in there!  They couldn't resist with the refit of NORWEIGAN SPIRIT and otherwise the ship looks amazing, and very adult-oriented.  I would sail on SPIRIT in a heartbeat.  

We were on the Spirit in Feb 2020 and LOVED her - she is my new fave NCL ship!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

We were on the Spirit in Feb 2020 and LOVED her - she is my new fave NCL ship!

She looks wonderful ... except for that Jumbotron in the atrium but I can live with it.  Very stylish.  Very adult.  Beautiful pools and deck space.  She would absolutely be my first pick in the NCL fleet right now.  The prefect size too!  

I hope the Leonardo Class follows the lead of NORWEGIAN SPIRIT.  Based on the atrium rendering we are off to a great start! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xcell said:

Looks like a MSC Seaside/Seashore ship.

The Leonardo ships and the MSC ships are based on Fincantieri's Project Mille concept first shown in 2013. According to Fincantieri, the "platform" can be used for ships as small as 60KGT all the way up to well over 100KGT. NCL decided to go with 6 ships that are roughly 140KGT making them smaller than the MSC ships. Seashore is an EVOlved version of the smaller Seaside/Seaview. Think of them as how BA/GA evolved into the Breakaway Plus Class ships.

It's possible that NCL could fiddle with the sizes of the 6 ships but nothing has been announced.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Think of them as how BA/GA evolved into the Breakaway Plus Class ships.

It's possible that NCL could fiddle with the sizes of the 6 ships but nothing has been announced.

i still say demote Escape to Breakaway class and rename the Breakaway Plus class to 'New Panama' class since the joy/bliss/encore were designed for the new Panama Locks.

(ba/ga/escape are too wide because of overhanging lifeboats for even the new panama locks, thus makes sense to group the Escape with the other 2 non-Panama ships.)

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

i still say demote Escape to Breakaway class and rename the Breakaway Plus class to 'New Panama' class since the joy/bliss/encore were designed for the new Panama Locks.

(ba/ga/escape are too wide because of overhanging lifeboats for even the new panama locks, thus makes sense to group the Escape with the other 2 non-Panama ships.)

It wouldn't be sensible to put Escape in the Breakaway Class simply because of the Panama Canal. Just as certain ships may be allowed to sail under a bridge (retractable funnel, for ex.) while other ships in the same class are not allowed, the class is still the same. 

Maybe the front-facing Observation Lounges on BA+ 2,3,&4 that Escape doesn't have could be used to put Escape in the BA Class but even then, the argument would be that ship class isn't about features. Similar to the Audi Q7, Bentley Bentega, Lamborghini Urus, Volkswagen Touareg, and Porsche Cayenne all being built on the same platform even though engines, transmissions, and features are different within the platform. 

5 minutes ago, brovol said:

How does that not tip over?  LOL.

It may appear that cruise ships are top heavy visually, but naval architects design them in such a way that all of the heavy liquids, machinery and the main engine are positioned very low - Richard Burke, ABS Professor of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at Maritime College, State University of New York (not sure if exact quote or paraphrasing).

Yes. And they build this ship class little higher, I think, then other. 

i think Leonardo class will have More rooms with balcony then the other ncl ships. 

deck space is the question what ncl is doing. Encore could have without laser tag, race track, the biggest vibe at sea enough deck space. But Ncl cut it down.