What is it going to take to get you back on board?

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

One thing I thought about was the what if scenarios....

1. What if you contract Covid 19 while on a cruise? Will the cruise line abandon you at the next port, quarantine you on the ship, quarantined at the return port, quarantine the entire family?
  2. Will the CDC require quarantine at the home port for anyone that has been in contact with the person?
  3. Will the person be banned from flying home if they flew in? Not sure why I asked this question because it is impossible to pass or contract Covid-19 on airlines or airports. 
  4. If you cannot fly, will you be able to rent a car to drive yourself home?
  5. Travel insurance is a pain to begin with, but what  will you be able to recoup from them?
  6. What liability does the cruise line have if someone else on the ship forces them to quarantine you, ruining your vacation?

Very good points - many of them I wonder myself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 4:02 AM, bigrednole said:

1. What if you contract Covid 19 while on a cruise? Will the cruise line abandon you at the next port, quarantine you on the ship, quarantined at the return port, quarantine the entire family?
  2. Will the CDC require quarantine at the home port for anyone that has been in contact with the person?
  3. Will the person be banned from flying home if they flew in? Not sure why I asked this question because it is impossible to pass or contract Covid-19 on airlines or airports. 
  5. Travel insurance is a pain to begin with, but what  will you be able to recoup from them?
  6. What liability does the cruise line have if someone else on the ship forces them to quarantine you, ruining your vacation?

One thing!  Really good questions, many of which I hadn't thought about but bet every cruise line has on their contingency planning.

On 8/31/2020 at 4:02 AM, bigrednole said:

Until a vaccine is readily available, I imagine when cruising restarts here in the US,  it will be restricted as to who can board.  For example in Europe with the cruises that have already started, TUI is accepting Germans only, Costa and MSC is limited to Italians and citizens or residents of Europe's Schengen-area countries only.  Limiting the geographical area of passengers eliminates international flights and issues with repatriation.   

Also, I imagine the initial cruises will be short -- 3-4 days, so probably not enough time for quarantine situations assuming everyone tested negative upon boarding.

It remains to be seen if travel insurance will even cover Covid-19 incidents.  As far as RCG liability, it will probably remain as before -- signing your ticket (contract) absolves them of all liability -- some credit for a future cruise is all I imagine they will fork out when your vacation is not up to par.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:37 PM, karena1 said:

I am an optimist and always hopeful.  But anytime I say that on these boards, I get blasted as being an unrealistic idiot!  It gets old after a while.  I don't think there is anything wrong with being optimistic, but most people want to be downers, and want everyone to be downers with them.

There is nothing wrong with being an optimist, but at the same time I think people should have realistic expectations.

I had a Med cruise booked for October that was to sail from Italy.  I was pretty certain in May that the chances of that cruise happening was slim.  Others on this board felt that cruising would be back to normal by July.   My opinion was based on the travel restrictions/advisories that were in place in my province/country and also from reputable news sources (both domestic and international).   Did having that opinion make me a downer or negative?  No.  It made me a realist.

Edited by lovemylab
On 9/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, johnjen said:

What it will take to get me back into cruising (AND help prevent ME from canceling in June 2021):

Do NOT be POLICING or MONITORING us constantly for masks, social distancing, etc. If you feel that "need" to do so, let me know IN ADVANCE so I can CANCEL the cruise because I don't want that. I am paying for a holiday, not a concentration camp-like atmosphere.

As for the OP's blame on the states, go stuff it with your generalizations and discriminatory accusation.

As for us getting a vaccine: Definitely want it, we'd be wanting to go on holidays.

I‘m to the point where the mask (I wear a neck gaiter)  is just second nature - but doesn’t mean I’m not tired of it being on me!!! I don’t really want to cruise with one but I suspect if our May cruise is a go they will be required.  After that cruise I will not cruise again until we all throw away our masks for good.  Also, I don’t want to social distance on a cruise.  I’m tired of not being able to communicate with others in a normal fashion - but I’m participating in distancing for the greater good. I guess what I’m getting at is I don’t want to cruise until all this temporary social behavior is a thing of the past.  How am I supposed to high five and banter at the craps table when someone hits a good one while social distancing with masks!?!

On 8/17/2020 at 11:37 AM, yogimax said:

Sadly, I think there will also be people who will fake their documentation.  Not sure what the answer will be to that.

Documentation should have a "watermark" just like our driver's license. Employees who check documentation should be trained in what to observe for.

On 9/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, johnjen said:

What it will take to get me back into cruising (AND help prevent ME from canceling in June 2021):

Do NOT be POLICING or MONITORING us constantly for masks, social distancing, etc. If you feel that "need" to do so, let me know IN ADVANCE so I can CANCEL the cruise because I don't want that. I am paying for a holiday, not a concentration camp-like atmosphere.

As for the OP's blame on the states, go stuff it with your generalizations and discriminatory accusation.

As for us getting a vaccine: Definitely want it, we'd be wanting to go on holidays.

For point of reference, I didn't blame the states for anything pertaining to the virus.  I did infer that some people in the states weren't acting responsibly in terms of social distancing.  If you took this another way, sorry.  Reality is that if everyone had done the basics of wearing a mask, social distancing and hand washing.  This would have been largely done in April or May.  Over 100k+ Americans would still be alive and millions of Americans would still have their jobs and the economy would still be rocking.

It's a bad situation, I hope we all come through it.  Best wishes, stay safe.

I would cruise now if the regulations from the cruise lines and my work (I work at a hospital) were manageable. I would not get a COVID vaccine ( it’s way to early and they’re working too fast on it) but have nothing against a Covid test or masking. I kind of like that people don’t look at me and cough without covering their mouths any more (oddly, I still cover mine)! Being a lifelong introvert, Social Distancing doesn’t bother me. It’s hard to hear other people through their masks anyway [emoji38]

I have 2 cruises booked for 2021 but am pretty our April one will be a no-go. The September one...mmmm....dunno.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I didn't have to quarantine when I got home, I would cruise right now, period.  As long as we could afford the voyage and DH could get the time off work.  I don't have an iota of concerns otherwise.  I miss the sea.  ♥  I'd strongly prefer no masks, but I'd find a way to deal with it if that could get us back to cruising.

On 9/20/2020 at 10:52 AM, Airbear232 said:

For point of reference, I didn't blame the states for anything pertaining to the virus.  I did infer that some people in the states weren't acting responsibly in terms of social distancing.  If you took this another way, sorry.  Reality is that if everyone had done the basics of wearing a mask, social distancing and hand washing.  This would have been largely done in April or May.  Over 100k+ Americans would still be alive and millions of Americans would still have their jobs and the economy would still be rocking.

It's a bad situation, I hope we all come through it.  Best wishes, stay safe.

What part of "People, especially in the states, have been very bad at being socially responsible" could possibly lead me to think in another way? You have something against people in the USA. Get over yourself.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:57 PM, TheMastodon said:

I‘m to the point where the mask (I wear a neck gaiter)  is just second nature - but doesn’t mean I’m not tired of it being on me!!! I don’t really want to cruise with one but I suspect if our May cruise is a go they will be required.  After that cruise I will not cruise again until we all throw away our masks for good.  Also, I don’t want to social distance on a cruise.  I’m tired of not being able to communicate with others in a normal fashion - but I’m participating in distancing for the greater good. I guess what I’m getting at is I don’t want to cruise until all this temporary social behavior is a thing of the past.  How am I supposed to high five and banter at the craps table when someone hits a good one while social distancing with masks!?!

My points exactly and I couldn't have said that better! We are actually HOPING the June Baltic cancels out so we can get our full refund. We won't be doing another lift and shift because from what I understand, you can only do this ONCE....so it will be (hopefully) goodbye to cruising forever because we all know deep down it's an industry that is going to cave in soon.

7 hours ago, johnjen said:

What part of "People, especially in the states, have been very bad at being socially responsible" could possibly lead me to think in another way? You have something against people in the USA. Get over yourself.

Saying "people, especially in the states, have been very bad at being socially responsible" is an observation.  I have nothing against anyone in the states.  Seems you just have one big chip on your shoulder, get over yourself.  Wear a mask, wash your hands, be socially responsible and enjoy life.  Because a lot of people lost theirs due to foolish and selfish people.

Edited by Airbear232
16 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Saying "people, especially in the states, have been very bad at being socially responsible" is an observation.  I have nothing against anyone in the states.  Seems you just have one big chip on your shoulder, get over yourself.  Wear a mask, wash your hands, be socially responsible and enjoy life.  Because a lot of people lost theirs due to foolish and selfish people.

The simple act of wearing a mask (if all complied) could reduce the infection rate by up to 80%).

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

I do not think Americans have a chip on their shoulder.  God bless us all and here is to friendship. 

usa-canada-friendship35.jpg

usacanadacombo-copy.jpg

12 hours ago, mets07 said:

I do not think Americans have a chip on their shoulder.  God bless us all and here is to friendship. 

usa-canada-friendship35.jpg

usacanadacombo-copy.jpg

Neither do I, reference is to previous comments by specific poster.  Can’t wait for this all to be over, and for life to return to normal (though this will be awhile).

Edited by Airbear232
59 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Neither do I, reference is to previous comments by specific poster.  Can’t wait for this all to be over, and for life to return to normal (though this will be awhile).

I have a feeling it mentally  may be a rough winter.  I know I have been able to do things outdoors - like eating out and being with family that wont be possible once the cold weather hits and my husband and I will have to go back to carryout and avoiding family.  I'm not looking forward to the holidays this year either, but we have made it this far and I see no reason to suddenly change our habits just because we're tired of the whole thing.

Thank heavens our state and Kentucky are going ahead with Trick or Treat.  I hope someone figures out a way to let the kids visit Santa this year.  I don't see masses of kids waiting in line to sit on his lap being allowed at the malls this year.  Maybe someone clever people will get a North Pol setup outdoors which could be fun for them.

16 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

You can paint your initial comment in whatever method you choose but it was discriminatory in nature. Your outlook is poor against us and that is how I see it.

2 hours ago, mek said:

I have a feeling it mentally  may be a rough winter.  I know I have been able to do things outdoors - like eating out and being with family that wont be possible once the cold weather hits and my husband and I will have to go back to carryout and avoiding family.  I'm not looking forward to the holidays this year either, but we have made it this far and I see no reason to suddenly change our habits just because we're tired of the whole thing.

Thank heavens our state and Kentucky are going ahead with Trick or Treat.  I hope someone figures out a way to let the kids visit Santa this year.  I don't see masses of kids waiting in line to sit on his lap being allowed at the malls this year.  Maybe someone clever people will get a North Pol setup outdoors which could be fun for them.

Sounds like you and your family have a great outlook on things.  Our Thanksgiving here is earlier (your Columbus Day).  I ordered our bird yesterday from the butcher and hoping that we'll be able to have family over.  Otherwise, lots of turkey leftovers!  I doubt right now that there will be any trick or treating here this year.  We've bought lots of candy for our neighbors kids that we'll put in bags and give to them.  The whole situation is really hard on a lot of folks.  It can't be taken lightly.  We have a lot of family and friends who are front line health care workers.  To me they are super heroes, the sacrifices they've made so far and there is still so much of this to go before it is over.  I'm optimistic that there will be an effective vaccine, let's hope it is available soon. 

Tested before getting on the cruise ship and NO MASK needed once on board

If everyone is tested and they are negative then why would you need to wear a mask

I'm fine with not getting off at each stop to prevent any issues

1 hour ago, Gigi11111 said:

If everyone is tested and they are negative then why would you need to wear a mask

Unless there’s a faulty test or two.

19 hours ago, Gigi11111 said:

The testing detects presence of the virus in your body.  However, for the test to be effective there needs to be a sufficient amount of virus in your system.  So, there is a period between initial infection and when the tests can determine you are infected.  This is often cited as being between 3 - 4 days.  So, there is a possibility that on your way to the cruise or just prior to the cruise you were infected but the test won't pick it up because there's insufficient virus to detect at that point.