Odyssey Cruise Canceled

atabs12

Sorry about the disappointing news - but as posted already above - does not surprise me either.

I think the balance of 2020 is a wash - at least for US and Caribbean sailings.

Have my sights set on Holiday 2021 - as depressing as that thought is right now....don't think cruising will be back to some sense of "normalcy" (whatever that may be and look like) until late spring / early summer of next year for the Caribbean and unless there is a major shift of ships and sailings - Caribbean Fall 2021 sailings for Seabourn would be the earliest.

• Like 2

I have also had the cruise on Odyssey cancelled on November 28th. However I booked the cruise the following week (Dec 5th) separately as an afterthought and have had no notification of cancellation regarding that cruise. This is a dilemma since I have paid for my flights from London to Barbados return in order to avail of the ship leaving from Barbados and return to Barbados two weeks later. If the second week is not cancelled it will leave from St Maarten and it is very difficult to get to St Maarten from Barbados to embark and would also involve staying in a hotel in Barbados for the first week of the cancelled cruise! Does anyone know if the cruise departing St Maarten December 5th has also been cancelled? I'm not naturally a pessimist but am beginning to think those who say cruising will not recover without a vaccine are totally right! The thought of spending the next day or two trying to rearrange is not appealing since it could ultimately change again! How are the cruise lines going to survive if this continues much longer?

• Like 1

I normally book my flights well in advance however, I am really skeptical about this cruise not happening. I know I can get flights because last year as you may remember Thomas Cook went under we had flights with them, so had to get new flight only 6 weeks before the cruise, it was almost the same cruise as this year. The who world is in a mess right now!  

Would you mind sharing with me who you booked your flights with please?  I think only BA Virgin and Tui fly there?

Edited by fudge
  • Like 1

Booked flights with BA out of LGW. I am beginning to think the second week departing St Maarten is not cancelled since I have had no info in that regard. Trying to get from Barbados to St Maarten is almost impossible without going to various other islands for connection at huge expense! Would love to know if those who booked as a two week cruise (rather than me who booked two back to backs) are faring if this is the case?

• Like 1

We have booked the seven-day cruise on 12 December Barbados to Barbados.  Luckily we don't have to worry about St Maarten, and we planned to spend extra time in Barbados.  We have to book extra hotel nights if the cruise is cancelled, but we can't do this without cancelling the cruise ourselves and losing the deposit.  Despite Seabourn's early notice of cancelling summer cruises, it does look as if they are joining the club and only cancelling after the full cruise has been paid for.  We can't believe that Seabourn is not intending to cancel the whole of December, and perhaps the whole Caribbean season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fudge said:

We are booked on the same cruise starting 19th December, not looking good! I need to to book flights from the UK to Barbados, holding off for the time being.

Best of luck to you. I understand holding off on flights in this current  situation. I also recommend checking  on covid 19 entry protocols for Barbados before travel. The protocols are very fluid and change often. Here is a link: 

https://issuu.com/visitbarbados/docs/btmi_travel_protocols_1b/1?ff&pageLayout=singlePage

We live in the US. Under the current protocols we would have to quarantine for 14 days at a designated hotel at own cost or government facility free of charge . This applies even with a negative negative covid test upon entry. 
I think the requirements are different for UK visitors. 
Even if Seabourn would sail it would be difficult with the current entry requirements to Barbados. 
This is all a hot mess

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fudge said:

I normally book my flights well in advance however, I am really skeptical about this cruise not happening. I know I can get flights because last year as you may remember Thomas Cook went under we had flights with them, so had to get new flight only 6 weeks before the cruise, it was almost the same cruise as this year. The who world is in a mess right now!  

Would you mind sharing with me who you booked your flights with please?  I think only BA Virgin and Tui fly there?

We booked the flights with American Airlines over Seabourn. I think Jet Blue is also flying to Barbados. Best Wishes and good Luck to you

3 hours ago, atabs12 said:

Best of luck to you. I understand holding off on flights in this current  situation. I also recommend checking  on covid 19 entry protocols for Barbados before travel. The protocols are very fluid and change often.

Of course you are right.  What seemed a good idea back in January seems laughable now.

We will hope to have a good break in Barbados, and almost certainly forgo our deposit with Seabourn.  With luck, by December it will be easier to travel.

22 hours ago, Logos11 said:

.....Does anyone know if the cruise departing St Maarten December 5th has also been cancelled? I'm not naturally a pessimist but am beginning to think those who say cruising will not recover without a vaccine are totally right!....

If I were a betting man.......

• 1 month later...

We have just paid our final payment for our Caribbean cruise sailing on the 19th December. Our well known UK agent tells me that Seabourn will begin sailing on the 12th December, I hope it gets cancelled.  

3 hours ago, fudge said:

We have just paid our final payment for our Caribbean cruise sailing on the 19th December. Our well known UK agent tells me that Seabourn will begin sailing on the 12th December, I hope it gets cancelled.  

What are the rules for you travelling to Barbados, Fudge? Do you have to have Covid tests?

14 hours ago, fudge said:

Assume you saw that your wish was granted a few hours after you posted this.  Hope you get your money refunded quickly, assuming that’s what you want.

16 hours ago, margbem said:

What are the rules for you travelling to Barbados, Fudge? Do you have to have Covid tests?

Sorry for the late reply, it never got that far, thankfully I didnt book our flights, the cruise has been cancelled, in a way I am pleased, it wouldn't have been the same had it gone ahead. 

6 hours ago, zelker said:

Assume you saw that your wish was granted a few hours after you posted this.  Hope you get your money refunded quickly, assuming that’s what you want.

Its quite spooky, we paid the balance last evening and I receive notification today. Relieved somewhat to be honest.

9 hours ago, fudge said:

Its quite spooky, we paid the balance last evening and I receive notification today. Relieved somewhat to be honest.

Iam awaiting refund for the canceled November, 28 sailing. TA been told 30 days. No refund after 30 days so far. TA called again and this time SB said 60 days until refund. Here we go with this waiting game 🤷‍♀️