Next Delay Announcement

I was in that boat until I just rebooked 2 days ago. I am will to bet that they are looking at cancellation dates based on what the FCC's will be. If they wait until after final payment, the FCC is on all money paid. If it is before final payment, then it is 125% on what has been paid so far (I think). Our decision was based on how inexpensive the cruise we switched to was, the cost of airfare being much lower than planned, and a few other savings available. 

RCI's last 2 "delay" dates were released as CLIA did an industry-wide update.   Lately, it has been the RCG's procedures to follow what the industry is doing.   I cannot see CLIA coming out with another announcement for at least a month, but that is just my guess.  (I presume a lot is based on how the current european sailings go).

Steve

Weighing in on this topic......I think we will know in the next 10 days.  RCCL has to bring all crew back (and figure out which crew are not returning and then which crew need to go where) which will take at least two months (notify crew - crew notifies if returning - calculate which crew need to go where based on non-returning crew  - arrange transportation for crew members back to ships - two weeks 'quarantine' and health screenings/getting ships ready for passengers/restocking). 

Two months back from Nov. 1st brings us to September 1st.  Like others I believe the suspension will go until Dec. 15 in hopes that RCCL will be able to sail the holiday runs which bring in bigger amounts of money than regular cruises.

• Like 1

Just wondering what most people are doing if they cant actually fly to Florida yet. Im in Canada and Im not going to make my final payment due in September because I cant fly to Florida and I assume the Dec 12 cruise will be cancelled anyway.

How's RCL being about the non refundable deposits? I just want a full refund and not a FCC. I feel we should be able to get the non refundable credits back as this was unforeseen? What are most people doing ?

Thanks

We had non-refundable deposits on our B2B leaving Miami on November 29th. I made final payments this morning. If RCCL cancels, I will decide at that time whether to refund, take FCC or L&S to 2021. Still hoping we can go! I believe in miracles! Cheers!

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

We had non-refundable deposits on our B2B leaving Miami on November 29th. I made final payments this morning. If RCCL cancels, I will decide at that time whether to refund, take FCC or L&S to 2021. Still hoping we can go! I believe in miracles! Cheers!

More than likely RCI will cancel and hopefully offer you the 125% FCC. That happened to us for our RCI cancelled May 2020 cruise and with the 125% we were able to upgrade cabins (JS to GS) to May 2021 then we recently L/Shifted that to April 2022...This option is working out great for the 10 of us.

• Like 1

RE:

How's RCL being about the non refundable deposits? I just want a full refund and not a FCC. I feel we should be able to get the non refundable credits back as this was unforeseen? What are most people doing ?

Thanks

Per the RCCL website:

Non-Refundable Deposits that were booked on or before September 30th, 2020 and are sailing on-or-before April 30th, 2022 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines.

ALSO:

Should I choose to cancel a reservation confirmed under a non-refundable deposit fare, what refunds will apply?

Answer

For sailings booked on or before September 30, 2020: 

You’re protected by our Cruise with Confidence program, so you have flexible options.

Yes, you can cancel. But first, have you considered our Lift and Shift option? It allows you to simply move your existing booking to next year, honoring the original pricing and/or promotion you enjoyed when you booked it.

If you must cancel, you may do so up to 48 hours before you sail and get a future cruise credit. You will have through December 31, 2021 or 12 months from your cancellation date – whichever is further –  to redeem your Future Cruise Certificate and cruise with us again. 

SO ..... it appears you get all funds returned (if you want this option) without any penalty.

Edited by keyboardjunkie
wrong person
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, keyboardjunkie said:

RE:

Thanks

Per the RCCL website:

Non-Refundable Deposits that were booked on or before September 30th, 2020 and are sailing on-or-before April 30th, 2022 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines.

ALSO:

Should I choose to cancel a reservation confirmed under a non-refundable deposit fare, what refunds will apply?

Answer

For sailings booked on or before September 30, 2020: 

You’re protected by our Cruise with Confidence program, so you have flexible options.

Yes, you can cancel. But first, have you considered our Lift and Shift option? It allows you to simply move your existing booking to next year, honoring the original pricing and/or promotion you enjoyed when you booked it.

If you must cancel, you may do so up to 48 hours before you sail and get a future cruise credit. You will have through December 31, 2021 or 12 months from your cancellation date – whichever is further –  to redeem your Future Cruise Certificate and cruise with us again. 

SO ..... it appears you get all funds returned (if you want this option) without any penalty.

You will get a FCC, not a cash refund, if you cancel a cruise with a nonrefundable deposit. You need to pay off the cruise, or hope RCI cancels before the final payment is due, if you want a cash refund.

Edited by NancyIL
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I was in that boat until I just rebooked 2 days ago. I am will to bet that they are looking at cancellation dates based on what the FCC's will be. If they wait until after final payment, the FCC is on all money paid. If it is before final payment, then it is 125% on what has been paid so far (I think). Our decision was based on how inexpensive the cruise we switched to was, the cost of airfare being much lower than planned, and a few other savings available. 

The problem with the 125% obc is you cant use it all on your next cruise unless its 25% more expensive than the one that was cancelled, and you cant use ANY of it if your next cruise is the same rate or less.

5 minutes ago, NthernLgts said:

The problem with the 125% obc is you cant use it all on your next cruise unless its 25% more expensive than the one that was cancelled, and you cant use ANY of it if your next cruise is the same rate or less.

@Ourusualbeach can confirm, but I think you can use it, it's just that you won't have access to the excess FCC till after the first cruise is over. There's a very easy solution for this - anyone with a 125% FCC should opt for the refund instead.

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

@Ourusualbeach can confirm, but I think you can use it, it's just that you won't have access to the excess FCC till after the first cruise is over. There's a very easy solution for this - anyone with a 125% FCC should opt for the refund instead.

Yes, I should have clarified better.  You can carry anything unused forward to yet another cruise.  As most of us dont cruise every year (wish we did), it really minimizes the benefit of the 25% bump.

17 hours ago, keyboardjunkie said:

Weighing in on this topic......I think we will know in the next 10 days.  RCCL has to bring all crew back (and figure out which crew are not returning and then which crew need to go where) which will take at least two months (notify crew - crew notifies if returning - calculate which crew need to go where based on non-returning crew  - arrange transportation for crew members back to ships - two weeks 'quarantine' and health screenings/getting ships ready for passengers/restocking). 

Two months back from Nov. 1st brings us to September 1st.  Like others I believe the suspension will go until Dec. 15 in hopes that RCCL will be able to sail the holiday runs which bring in bigger amounts of money than regular cruises.

If the rumour is true that crew will not be able to get off the ship at ports I can see quite a lot of crew not wanting to come back until that is lifted. 

17 hours ago, TRAVELBUGCRUISER said:

Just wondering what most people are doing if they cant actually fly to Florida yet. Im in Canada and Im not going to make my final payment due in September because I cant fly to Florida and I assume the Dec 12 cruise will be cancelled anyway.

Thanks

If you cancel on or before final payment you will receive a FCC for your NRD.

If they cancel you can receive cash refund.

Or you can do a lift and shift now or wait.

I predict their next announcement of cancellations will be the week after Labor Day.  Maybe september 14th

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you cancel on or before final payment you will receive a FCC for your NRD.

If they cancel you can receive cash refund.

Or you can do a lift and shift now or wait.

I predict their next announcement of cancellations will be the week after Labor Day.  Maybe september 14th

Agreed.  They will want to take as many of those final payments as possible first.

Did anyone read this article on CNBC.com: "Dr. Scott Gottlieb: Yale's new saliva coronavirus test funded by NBA could be widely rolled out"?  He is quoted as saying "Beyond Yale's saliva test, (Gottlieb) said he anticipates other additional variants of coronavirus tests to be available in the U.S. within the next month. What you're going to see is a lot of this innovation come on the market all at once". (Several companies are in phase 3 trials for the vaccine and they are producing it now, to be ready to roll it out IF it's approved.) I look forward to reading the recommendations from the experts that Royal Caribbean has hired to advise them. I believe a lot will depend on if the ships that are sailing now, can stay covid-19 free, with no problems. I HOPE that Royal is busy making changes to their ships now that will make a difference. If football stadiums can hold a few fans, then maybe cruise ships can sail at reduced capacity. So.....I remain hopeful!

• Like 1