Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am on a CCL cruise next June going to Porto. I would prefer to book with the cruise line.  I have looked at their options and I am undecided between Guimaraes and Braga.  Which would you recommend?  I like historical sites--old churches, castles, etc. The pics of Braga look absolutely stunning but I saw on where Guimaraes probably has more historical significance so I am torn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I prefer not to take ship's excursions.  Third-party tours from Porto easily do both in one day.  Ship's tours can't because they pack so many people on each bus, so potty breaks take forever – and of course there is always the mandatory shopping stop at the place that gives the ship a kickback.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 8:24 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is why I prefer not to take ship's excursions.  Third-party tours from Porto easily do both in one day.  Ship's tours can't because they pack so many people on each bus, so potty breaks take forever – and of course there is always the mandatory shopping stop at the place that gives the ship a kickback.

Yeah, but I am concerned that they will require us to use the ship company since that is the current requirement in Europe now with the lines that have opened. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

We did both in one trip, whilst staying in Porto. I had a look back at both cities to see which was ‘best’. If Braga includes  Bom Jesus Sanctuary, then this is a good trip -  I am not sure that either place on their own would fill one whole day trip to make it worthwhile. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, downsmead said:

We did both in one trip, whilst staying in Porto. I had a look back at both cities to see which was ‘best’. If Braga includes  Bom Jesus Sanctuary, then this is a good trip -  I am not sure that either place on their own would fill one whole day trip to make it worthwhile. 

 

It's amazing how cruise ship shore excursions manage to pack so little into a day!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Can do both in one trip. There is a bus between Guimaraes and Braga, takes about 40 min. Train between Porto and either Guimaraes or Braga are at least hourly and some times 2 per hour. Bom Jesus is may be 15 min cab ride from center of Braga. Also there is local bus #2 that goes there and HOHO

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 9:28 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

It's amazing how cruise ship shore excursions manage to pack so little into a day!

You are signing my song :).   But lets understand they do allocate  lots of waiting time or folks to go to the rest rooms, waiting for the couple that is always late back to the bus, need to allocate valuable time to shopping in places either owned by the tour company or who get a big kick-back from purchases.   There is a simple rule when it comes to any tour group.  It can only move along at the pace of the slowest member of the party.    On the other hand those excursions fill an important niche for those who do not want to do their own planning, homework, etc.   

 

Hank

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...