MSC boots Covid rule breakers

BlerkOne

I'm going to leave most of the off topic posts if they don't violate guidelines AND relate to cruising specifically but from here on please back on topic about MSC'S experience....why I don't usually keep non Carnival posts etc. One can only speculate till guidelines for Carnival come out

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Like 3

Sorry trying to stay on topic 

I think we all would like to get in a ship soon. I will take any rule they give - as long as I can have my alchemy bar! I will even sleep there if they make me. 

Edited by Stick93

On 8/19/2020 at 8:04 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

You apparently haven’t cruised on Carnival recently (i.e. within the last several years). The examples I previously mentioned I have seen on dozens of Carnival cruises, with the exception of waiting over 2 hours at a port for late returning passengers. 

What I meant to say is that Carnival is serious about enforcing safety rules

i agree that they are loose with rules in other areas

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bowman1 said:

What I meant to say is that Carnival is serious about enforcing safety rules

i agree that they are loose with rules in other areas

I once had a college professor say that the worst laws ever are speeding laws and alternate side of the street parking laws. And the reason they are the worst laws is everyone breaks them and there are rarely consequences. And once you can break a law without consequences, breaking the next one is easier. That is the problem with not enforcing rules, but somehow expecting that the other rules will be respected.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I once had a college professor say that the worst laws ever are speeding laws and alternate side of the street parking laws. And the reason they are the worst laws is everyone breaks them and there are rarely consequences. And once you can break a law without consequences, breaking the next one is easier. That is the problem with not enforcing rules, but somehow expecting that the other rules will be respected.

Yet once the rules start getting enforced without exception, word gets around quickly. Especially if the penalty is much greater than the crime.

18 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I wonder if your age has anything to do with reactions. I'm older so I'd be willing to only do ship excursions to be safer if covid still around, whereas someone who is only 40 and a lot less risk might not be willing to agree to these rules. 

I think you are seeing that in many parts of the country where people 40 and under are the fastest growing ages getting diagnosed with COVID-19 because they are the least likely to follow social distancing and wearing masks rules. Like you said people with less risk are more likely to engage in higher risk behavior related to this virus. I am not in a high risk category but I wear a mask any time I go out in public. The more I wear one, the less it bothers me. It didn’t bother me at all when we went to EPCOT last week and it was definitely hot out that day, like it is every day here in Florida this time of year. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

We won’t sail if we have to go on cruise line excursions to leave the ship.  We also will not cruise if we have to wear masks.

I understand that this type of restrictions are inappropriate when you are on vacation but there are many people who are willing to cruise no matter what. If I were you, I would just get a very comfortable mask that you could wear on board and forget about excursions. I would rather go to some beaches or just enjoy the sea from the ship 

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Yet once the rules start getting enforced without exception, word gets around quickly. Especially if the penalty is much greater than the crime.

That is the corollary to what I wrote about what happens when rules are not enforced.

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I wonder if your age has anything to do with reactions. I'm older so I'd be willing to only do ship excursions to be safer if covid still around, whereas someone who is only 40 and a lot less risk might not be willing to agree to these rules. 

I am 73, and having ship excursions as the only way to experience a port would be a deal breaker for me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I am 73, and having ship excursions as the only way to experience a port would be a deal breaker for me.

Not for me until covid under control. I'm booked and will go, and may not get off the ship depending on protocol, but I'll still enjoy the cruise. 

15 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Good article. And so, so true. 

What worries me is they likely wont be the only ones to do this. they were just the first.

Just look around at the USA and see how many people refuse to follow the rules for something as simple as wearing a mask into a store.  there will inevitably be a few people among the 2,000 or so on a carnival ship ( or any other line)  who want to do the same.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, d9704011 said:

What does that mean?

If the penalty is appropriate to the crime, then it is a push - the time is equal to the crime. But not everyone gets caught. So if the penalty is severe enough, most people won't think twice about trying.

Hopefully the "wear your mask" rule will be enacted throughout the Cruise Industry (entering the dining to remove only when physically eating, the entertaining areas while seated throughout the venue's conclusion and other areas deemed by Cruise rules). If for some reason Carnival does not enact this or a similar rule, I will still be wearing my mask. If you choose not to wear yours, then please wave at me from a very far distance as I will not be entering your immediate space.

Not being un-neighborly just using Common Sense.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, geckoaz said:

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I still think most seem to be ignoring that all passengers had a covid test to board and that's why the no mixing with others rule.

If the cruise line creates a mandatory rule, then it should be followed. That being said, this article is ridiculously overblown. 1 rapid covid test on boarding does not a "bubble" make. If anything, the belief that it does create a bubble is a false sense of security that may cause people to drop their normal precautions. You can test negative while carrying this virus. It appears that MSC has lucked out so far with their cruises but with enough cruisers they will have an covid case onboard. This family didn't follow the rules and were rightly kicked off. But they didn't risk bringing about the end of cruising by sneaking off and potentially getting exposed. Every single person who flew to the cruise port or stayed in a pre-cruise hotel, or engaged in pre-cruise activities were potentially exposed and could have brought the virus on, despite the negative test. It takes multiple days post exposure before you will be far enough in the incubation period to test positive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I am in my 40's and I would totally agree to ship only excursions if I could get on a ship again!  And I NEVER take ship excursions normally but I would do it if it meant I could sail again.  

So really, I think its completely a personal decision, not age related at all.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 11:20 AM, jetsfan58 said:

Who is Carnival going to hire and assign onboard to Police them? 

Everyone on the MSC Grandiosa was given one of the bracelets that allow you to charge your account, unlock your cabin and act as a tracking device.  Very easy to find out who is missing from the group.   These bracelets are similar to the medallions that are available on various Princess ships. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

We won’t sail if we have to go on cruise line excursions to leave the ship.  We also will not cruise if we have to wear masks.

The excursion leaders also do head counts on a constant basis.  Very easy to see who or how many may be missing - especially if it is a family group.

5 hours ago, EllaDuChien said:

I am in my 40's and I would totally agree to ship only excursions if I could get on a ship again!  And I NEVER take ship excursions normally but I would do it if it meant I could sail again.  

So really, I think its completely a personal decision, not age related at all.

Yes, I agree that one should not generalize by age groups. We are all individuals.

I am so glad MSC booted those people off the ship. They knew the rules and they broke them. The parents certainly set a bad a example for their children. ruined their vacation, and put them in harm's way. We all want to get back cruising and the only way we are going to be able to do it safely is following the cruise line rules. DH and I will wear masks and social distance if that's what it takes. Wearing a mask is the easiest and smartest thing to do and a scientifically proven deterrent to avoid Covid-19.. People who refuse to do it are infringing upon my freedom to be able to stay safe in the pandemic. After 55 cruises, we don't do excursions anymore, so having to do only ship-sponsored excursions wouldn't apply to us.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2020 at 5:38 PM, ontheweb said:

We are all individuals.

I'm not!

(xref Life of Brian)

Yeah, I am in my 50s, and definitely on the cautious side, partly for my own health but also because I have older/elderly family and friends and co-workers. 

So back to the MSC story - has there been any word on how the cruise is doing regarding any COVID-19 cases?  Not seen anything yet, so hopefully that is a great sign.