Required vaccinations

On 8/19/2020 at 5:45 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Massachusetts voted to require all students to show vaccination for the flu.  The reasoning being that reducing flu would likely reduce the severity and number of COVID cases.

No details on any exemptions if any.

Legislation has been introduced in at least 6 other states I found using a bill tracker search.

I wonder how families can opt out---

As I know in many states families can opt out of reqd vax for public school by filing a form 

FWIW less than 50% of those eligible for flu vax et one each yr. Don't know the stat on pneumonia vax.

In other news--there has been a spike of STDS in various parts of the world. Clearly a lack of social distancing! ha

Edited by Fogfog
On 8/25/2020 at 8:04 AM, TeeRick said:

My dw and I are going out this week to get our flu vaccines.  Who knows if there might be a shortage this year or a run on the vaccine.  Anybody care to join us?

DH got his a couple of weeks ago and I got mine last week.  My arm is sore for a couple of days, but that's it for side effects.

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

I wonder how families can opt out---

As I know in many states families can opt out of reqd vax for public school by filing a form 

FWIW less than 50% of those eligible for flu vax et one each yr. Don't know the stat on pneumonia vax.

In other news--there has been a spike of STDS in various parts of the world. Clearly a lack of social distancing! ha

Can opt out for religious or personal.  Do not know procedure.  Last year vac rate for flu was 56% for kids- up some 6%.  Am guessing with all the publicity about issues with flu and COVID rate will be higher this year.  Locally about 1/2 of pharmacies are out of flu vaccine.  Demand reported on TV as high. 

Some states like NY stated no exemptions for measles for example.  Health departments could certainly make it a requirement for school.  No idea how you require for adults.  It is free with almost all insurance plans here and county has free clinics for vaccines too.

In our state there medical and religious exemptions, in practice, the vaccine rate is very high. I think this is because many who would try to get a religious exemption just home school.

Also some private schools may let no vaccine people enroll without a blue slip as it’s called. My children’s private school had the same requirement as public schools - needed vaccines unless there was a medical excuse. Although it was a faith based school, I think if a family had refused vaccines they might have encouraged them to look elsewhere.

Flu vaccine though is a different animal, though, the acceptance rate is as low here as anywhere else, and it is abysmal for children.

It will be interesting how Mass fares, how they enforce this, or is more a bit of an education stick.

My DW and I got our influenza vaccines. The pharmacist told us that there was already a heavy demand for them.  We went with FluBlok quadrivalent. It is made in cell culture and not in eggs and contains purified protein components, not live or inactivated virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/qa_flublok-vaccine.htm

From the FDA package insert:  Flublok Quadrivalent is standardized according to United States Public Health Service (USPHS) requirements. For the 2020-2021 influenza season it is formulated to contain 180 mcg HA per 0.5 mL dose, with 45 mcg HA of each of the following 4 influenza virus strains: A/Hawaii/70/2019 (H1N1), A/Minnesota/41/2019 (an A/Hong Kong/45/2019-like virus) (H3N2), B/Washington/02/2019 and B/Phuket/3073/2013.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

My DW and I got our influenza vaccines. The pharmacist told us that there was already a heavy demand for them.  We went with FluBlok quadrivalent. It is made in cell culture and not in eggs and contains purified protein components, not live or inactivated virus.

From the FDA package insert:  Flublok Quadrivalent is standardized according to United States Public Health Service (USPHS) requirements. For the 2020-2021 influenza season it is formulated to contain 180 mcg HA per 0.5 mL dose, with 45 mcg HA of each of the following 4 influenza virus strains: A/Hawaii/70/2019 (H1N1), A/Minnesota/41/2019 (an A/Hong Kong/45/2019-like virus) (H3N2), B/Washington/02/2019 and B/Phuket/3073/2013.

We are set up for the same vaccine later this week.

Read an article that idiots in Massachusetts are demonstrating against mandatory vaccinations.  Seems crazy since there are already requirements in place for several other vaccinations.

Reminded me of a discussion where a older lady who stated she went on 3 or 4 cruises a year said  she would not get a COVID or flu vax as she did not want to be forced to put a foreign substance into her body.  Asked about polio, MMR, and three or 4 others was told that was different.  Those vaccines protected against "real diseases".

23 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

We are set up for the same vaccine later this week.

Read an article that idiots in Massachusetts are demonstrating against mandatory vaccinations.  Seems crazy since there are already requirements in place for several other vaccinations.

Reminded me of a discussion where a older lady who stated she went on 3 or 4 cruises a year said  she would not get a COVID or flu vax as she did not want to be forced to put a foreign substance into her body.  Asked about polio, MMR, and three or 4 others was told that was different.  Those vaccines protected against "real diseases".

It has been said many times.  There is no vaccine for Stupid.  

44 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

"You can't fix stupid." ~ Ron White

The closest one can get to dealing with motivating people to things is pay them.  Arizona had a program for uninsured children where all they needed to do is sign up.  Premium was and still is zero.  Only about half bothered . . . until they were paid.  Amazing.

Arizona announced last week that all on the low income (like Medicaid), uninsured and kids care will get free vaccinations and get a $10 gift card.

Will be interesting.

On September 1, 2020 at 8:02 AM, TeeRick said:

DH and I just got ours . . . same vaccine.  Earlier than usual for us, but as was mentioned earlier in the Deep South, it can pay to be early.  The pharmacist at our relatively small pharmacy said they've already administered 50 - 60.

2 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

DH and I just got ours . . . same vaccine.  Earlier than usual for us, but as was mentioned earlier in the Deep South, it can pay to be early.  The pharmacist at our relatively small pharmacy said they've already administered 50 - 60.

DW hauled me over to the pharmacy while grocery shopping.  All done.  Same Quadrivalent vaccine suggested for "older people".  They reported about 20 a day.  Costco big here.  Wonder how many they are doing. 

Another reason to go early this year is to get the best vaccine available before it runs out.  In my opinion for me that would be quadrivalent, egg free, and purified components.  Lots of other types will be offered too like traditional inactivated virus grown in eggs.  These are fine for most but I am allergic to eggs.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Another reason to go early this year is to get the best vaccine available before it runs out.  In my opinion for me that would be quadrivalent, egg free, and purified components.  Lots of other types will be offered too like traditional inactivated virus grown in eggs.  These are fine for most but I am allergic to eggs.

How does that actually work? We just got our flu shot yesterday at our supermarket's pharmacy. We walked in, asked to get a flu shot, filled out the paperwork, waited about 5 minutes and then we got the shot. They have never asked us which type of flu shot we would like for as long as I can remember? 

How does that actually work? We just got our flu shot yesterday at our supermarket's pharmacy. We walked in, asked to get a flu shot, filled out the paperwork, waited about 5 minutes and then we got the shot. They have never asked us which type of flu shot we would like for as long as I can remember? 

They should ask but if they don’t ask you should ask what they have. You can google each season what flu shots are being made for the coming season. If you have any questions ask your doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

They should ask but if they don’t ask you should ask what they have. You can google each season what flu shots are being made for the coming season. If you have any questions ask your doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Who knew! Well, I guess when we eventually go in for our COVID vaccine shots, I’ll have to ask what are our options? But something tells me here in Alabama, as with the flu shot most likely, they’re going to say you get what they have. Although she did tell my DW there were 4 different flu ingredients in the flu vaccine we just got rather than 3, which I guess was the norm in years past for our area. 

22 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If you want a specific flu vaccine call ahead to see which ones are available to you.  Each pharmacy chain might have different ones or choices if asked.  Many need to stock an egg-free version for allergy reasons.  Also a high dose antigen version for over-65.  We got our Flublok vaccine at CVS minute clinic in our area.

This is a statement on Walgreens site for example:

Walgreens points of care will offer a number of vaccine options that may include trivalent flu vaccine, a high-dose influenza vaccine for those over age 65 and a quadrivalent vaccine which protects against four strains of influenza.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

If you want a specific flu vaccine call ahead to see which ones are available to you.  Each pharmacy chain might have different ones or choices if asked.  Many need to stock an egg-free version for allergy reasons.  Also a high dose antigen version for over-65.  We got our Flublok vaccine at CVS minute clinic in our area.

This is a statement on Walgreens site for example:

Walgreens points of care will offer a number of vaccine options that may include trivalent flu vaccine, a high-dose influenza vaccine for those over age 65 and a quadrivalent vaccine which protects against four strains of influenza.

Thanks! Believe it or not that sounds like the one we got by default at our Publix pharmacy as we are over 65 and it protects against 4 strains. But in the future (if I can remember 😉), I’ll definitely ask what vaccine options they have for folks over 65.