MSC Not Tolerating Violation of New C-19 Health Protocols

Von & John

23 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I couldn't agree more, however, my point being (  IMO  ) wearing shorts, flip flops or other less than casual attire into a dining room is just not right. 

LOL--- I'm not sure I would dress for dinner in a way that I would be turned away and then leave ( you know who ) to eat by themselves only to face the consequences for the next 16 years.  

And I just don't think that clothing is serious enough to ever been an issue of "right" vs "wrong". It's clothing. It's not an indication of respect, mortality, class, or representation of behavior. And I started this off by simply saying that the fact that people on these boards feel that there's more to be read into clothing leads to me not wanting to cruise on Celebrity. 

15 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

It was 5 nights and the Hostess did not do anything even after she was asked. My table mate left the table because of his dress. I believe it is all about respect.

There is not a strict dress code in other venues, only the MDR. He could have gone upstairs or to any of the specialty restaurants. Ah, but doesn't give us an opportunity to discuss things that happened when we were actually on a cruise??

😞

On 8/27/2020 at 9:14 AM, Keys Kathy said:

Yes, it is nice to see the rules enforced for the enjoyment of all guests. You know the rules before you step on board. I was on X and there was a guy in shorts and flip flops in the main dining room on formal night. The Hostess said she couldn't do anything about it. 

Perhaps MORE of the rules will be enforced now.

How long ago was this? You do know that Celebrity hasn't had a Formal night in 3 or 4 years now? There really isn't a strict code in the MDR either. 

Just now, ORV said:

How long ago was this? You do know that Celebrity hasn't had a Formal night in 3 or 4 years now? There really isn't a strict code in the MDR either. 

They have what's called " Smart Casual " which 99% of the people understand does not include shorts, flip flops, etc. in the MDR.

There are always some people that have to do it ( My Waaaay )---

Oh no--- another song title .

18 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

They have what's called " Smart Casual " which 99% of the people understand does not include shorts, flip flops, etc. in the MDR.

There are always some people that have to do it ( My Waaaay )---

Oh no--- another song title .

I'm quite aware of the Celebrity dress code. My point is there hasn't been a Formal Night in years as the poster mentioned that I quoted. It was replaced with Elegant Chic which is really open to interpretation, but the bottom line is no jackets or ties are required.  Too many people live in what used to be and not what was prior to sailing being halted. 

I do agree that T tops, flip flops or hats don't have any place in the MDR. You want to see some really low class dinner dressers take a Royal Caribbean cruise. Ball caps turned around backwards are quite common. 

Just now, ORV said:

Ball caps turned around backwards are quite common.

LOL-- A young guy applied for a job in our Company wearing a baseball hat backwards. I asked him " Where do you buy those baseball hats with the brim  backwards " ?  He looked at me like I came from Mars and said " It's the same cap except you turn it around ".  Absolutely true story . 

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

My husband falls into the category that does not enjoy dressing for dinner.  His issues centers around the fact that are told exactly what to wear every day at work (down to color of socks, jewelry, and makeup/hairstyles) and on vacation he enjoys not being told what to wear. 

This kind of reminds me of Home Owners Associations.  There are people who love HOAs and people who hate living in a HOA community.  Some people view restrictions as protecting themselves, and others view restrictions as, well, restrictive.  Neither is right or wrong.  This also seems to be integral to the make-up of the person and unlikely to change.

The conflict occurs when "restrictions" are expressed as "recommendations" or "suggestions" or are not enforced.  This creates a gray area where each side makes their own interpretation. Most mass market cruise lines have morphed in this direction.  Imagine living in a supposedly HOA governed community where the covenants and conditions were expressed as recommendations or weren't enforced.  There would certainly be conflicts among some homeowners.  The same is true for many aspects of cruising on mass market lines.  In either case, the most content will be those who can accept that "it is what it is".

2 hours ago, ORV said:

It was on the Connie when she was doing the 5 nights out of Ft Lauderdale. It was during "Limaggedon", when we had the lime shortage. There were no limes on the ship. How many years ago was that? 

We were sailing with Gimlet Gal, so you can understand limes were important. Our first stop was Key West. We got off in Key West and walked to Fausto's and bought Gimlet Gal 5 limes. DH presented her with a lime a night. She shared the limes with the British for their Gin and Tonic. They were so grateful, they insisted on buying us drinks. We tried to explain we were on a drink package......

Edited by Keys Kathy
grammer

1 hour ago, Keys Kathy said:

It was on the Connie when she was doing the 5 nights out of Ft Lauderdale. It was during "Limaggedon", when we had the lime shortage. There were no limes on the ship. How many years ago was that? 

We were sailing with Gimlet Gal, so you can understand limes were important. Our first stop was Key West. We got off in Key West and walked to Fausto's and bought Gimlet Gal 5 limes. DH presented her with a lime a night. She shared the limes with the British for their Gin and Tonic. They were so grateful, they insisted on buying us drinks. We tried to explain we were on a drink package......

I always think (after hearing this story) that I should take a lime or two along when I cruise.  Just in case.  We laughed about it a lot.  Reminds me of the time we were in Michael's Club and they didn't have any olives for the martinis.  Finally, one of our enterprising members strolled down to the Martini Bar and procured some.  The concierge of that Michael's Club (who shall remain mercifully nameless) wasn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier.  

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- A young guy applied for a job in our Company wearing a baseball hat backwards. I asked him " Where do you buy those baseball hats with the brim  backwards " ?  He looked at me like I came from Mars and said " It's the same cap except you turn it around ".  Absolutely true story . 

LOL! THAT is funny. I had one come in for a purchasing position with Bib overalls and without a shirt on.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Time for the moderators to end this thread....endless posts about dress code on a thread that began with discussion of MSC's PPE's policies really have no place here.

Still think this is better than the endless face shield vs face mask debate it had turned into

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Oh it sound so normal in those " not normal times" a nice nasty thread about the dress code..! I suggest when we are done with the clothes some people wear- we can always come back to a few nice comments about smokers on board. LOL

LOL--- Can we please put your suggestion about " smokers on board " to the back of the line.

Earlier someone ( me ) posted :

" This thread is heading straight to " Dress Codes on Ships "--   ( followed by Gratuities , Buffets, Chair Hogs, and Who's on board ) ".

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- Can we please put your suggestion about " smokers on board " to the back of the line.

Earlier someone ( me ) posted :

" This thread is heading straight to " Dress Codes on Ships "--   ( followed by Gratuities , Buffets, Chair Hogs, and Who's on board ) ".

That is exactly what made me write my comment.... LOL. To add my two cents- I really do not care what others wear- always nice to watch anyway- even when one thinks to oneself- " Oh he or she would be better off on a camp ground"! LOL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I really do not care what others wear-

Same with us-- but wear it at the appropriate time at the appropriate place.

My point being-- We all spend several thousand dollars to go on the cruise , so show respect ( if that is the correct word ) to the other passengers and staff and follow the policies.  Never mind that BS " It's my rights and I don't feel comfortable , etc,etc ".

• Like 3

Those ignorant of others- you might meet everyhwere these days. Cunard line has a very strict dress code- and I never, ever in all my journeys with one of the three Queens I saw people badly or ignorant dressed. You can dress down- down to a certain point- but you are asked to keep yourself on Deck 7 - which some call the " Casual Deck". There is the buffet part of the ship and a wonderful lounge.

On my first German Cruise on board Tui´s Mein Schiff 2 I also did no see many shaby dressed people- some yes- but really not to be bothered about. Tui has no formal nights - all is quite casual every night- and I saw most people nicley dressed in the Restaurants.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, Miaminice said:

Don´t you all wish we could cruise again?
The least of my worries would be the dress code...

Next we´d be complaining about the colors of the masks not matching the shorts LOL

But white is right before or after 6. That is why I have a white mask. Is it OK if the mask matches the top instead?

Edited by Keys Kathy
add
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2020 at 8:45 PM, Germancruiser said:

Those ignorant of others- you might meet everyhwere these days. Cunard line has a very strict dress code- and I never, ever in all my journeys with one of the three Queens I saw people badly or ignorant dressed. You can dress down- down to a certain point- but you are asked to keep yourself on Deck 7 - which some call the " Casual Deck". There is the buffet part of the ship and a wonderful lounge.

On my first German Cruise on board Tui´s Mein Schiff 2 I also did no see many shaby dressed people- some yes- but really not to be bothered about. Tui has no formal nights - all is quite casual every night- and I saw most people nicley dressed in the Restaurants.

Cunard also sent a  pamphlet  listing the special events  aling with the expected  style/ level of dress for each.  Pretty much 100% compliance.  

For right now, the Celeb style suits us..as long as it does not go downhill.

Safety  and health are  top priorities for us at this point!  

On 8/28/2020 at 10:28 AM, Pinboy said:

Yup. that's me. If they are in my line of sight I have no hesitation to ask to change tables . We did that in Murano ( I mentioned the guy that bothered us several times on CC ).

People that dress like " A---- "  wearing hats , shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc into a dining room do bother me.

I know, I know, it's none of my business , but , it bothers me.

Very fair statement...people should follow the dress code..it’s just respect for others..I wouldn’t sail on a line that did not enforce their code..if there is no code, that line is not for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Very fair statement...people should follow the dress code..it’s just respect for others..I wouldn’t sail on a line that did not enforce their code..if there is no code, that line is not for me. 

So do you cruise on Celebrity?