Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

I can totally get the “I’m on vacation, I don’t want to think about the cost of things” aspect to the upgrade. Been there, done that. But at the risk of sounding cynical, I’m sure the bean counters at NCL are banking on just that, literally. 💴 💰  😉 

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I can totally get the “I’m on vacation, I don’t want to think about the cost of things” aspect to the upgrade. Been there, done that. But at the risk of sounding cynical, I’m sure the bean counters at NCL are banking on just that, literally. 💴 💰  😉 

You can apply that logic to the price of the cruise as well.  In the end, its just a matter of budget.

Just now, WarfRatWA said:

You can apply that logic to the price of the cruise as well.  In the end, its just a matter of budget.

True, although my options are pretty limited regarding the cost of the cruise itself-it’s pretty much take it or leave it. But I do have a choice about whether to upgrade. Since NCL forces everyone traveling in the same cabin to upgrade, I’m setting aside $243 in a separate bank account (cost of the upgrade for 1 person) and use it to pay for the extras. 😊 

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

True, although my options are pretty limited regarding the cost of the cruise itself-it’s pretty much take it or leave it. But I do have a choice about whether to upgrade. Since NCL forces everyone traveling in the same cabin to upgrade, I’m setting aside $243 in a separate bank account (cost of the upgrade for 1 person) and use it to pay for the extras. 😊 

Whatever works for you, thats the way to go.

I wouldn't mind paying for premium, but we are okay with the options in the regular package.  We are mainly vodka drinkers and are okay Goose or Tito's.  We typically buy a bottle of Malbec at Cagney's and he usually pays the upgrade for a 18 year old scotch when he enjoys a cigar.   

We also base it on where we are cruising and how many days we have at sea.  We are cruising with RC this May in Italy.  I wanted to check out their Oasis class.  We probably won't get a premium drink package since we will be off the boat for everyday for all day excursions.  

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

A little secret.  If you wait to upgrade until you get onboard, you can upgrade only one person in the cabin.  You can't do that ahead of time.  

56 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

A little secret.  If you wait to upgrade until you get onboard, you can upgrade only one person in the cabin.  You can't do that ahead of time.  

Thanks! That’s a great little tip. I will definitely keep that in mind. I wonder how they deal with the sharing issue in that scenario. I always assumed that was the reason it had to be all or nothing. Perhaps I’d get a little bracelet and could only, for instance, order one glass of bubbly at a time. Do you know how that works? Thanks again for the helpful hint. 

That's it!  I'm sold!  DH is not a drinker (at all), while I only drink top shelf (First world problems) and I was trying to justify this for our 2 upcoming cruises.  But if Starbucks is included, then his 3 coffees a day almost equals the price for him.  And I can get a bottle of Veuve at dinner every night!  Panama Canal, here we come!  Cheers!

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I work for NCL and have just reported this to those in charge.  Don't expect this to continue!!

(jk - great tip for those with sophisticated drinking habits - is that an oxy moron?)

6 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

I work for NCL and have just reported this to those in charge.  Don't expect this to continue!!

(jk - great tip for those with sophisticated drinking habits - is that an oxy moron?)

I literally can’t tell when you are joking. The driest sense of humor ever.

9 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thanks! That’s a great little tip. I will definitely keep that in mind. I wonder how they deal with the sharing issue in that scenario. I always assumed that was the reason it had to be all or nothing. Perhaps I’d get a little bracelet and could only, for instance, order one glass of bubbly at a time. Do you know how that works? Thanks again for the helpful hint. 

First, I have 5 in my party in the same Haven Cabin.  All over 21 so all get premium drink package. I wanted the upgrade to premium plus only for my wife and I.  NCL can’t adjust the computer program Pre-cruise.  I emailed and was told it could be done once on board.  The issue with most exceptions on mainstream cruise lines is they program no flexible changes so their folks can’t change things even if they want too.  That is when you go up to supervisors.  

6 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

First, I have 5 in my party in the same Haven Cabin.  All over 21 so all get premium drink package. I wanted the upgrade to premium plus only for my wife and I.  NCL can’t adjust the computer program Pre-cruise.  I emailed and was told it could be done once on board.  The issue with most exceptions on mainstream cruise lines is they program no flexible changes so their folks can’t change things even if they want too.  That is when you go up to supervisors.  

Thanks! I can see it might be tricky to have to program all of those exceptional circumstances into their system, so it sort of makes sense you can’t do it until you’re on board. I’ll keep this in mind for our September sailing, assuming it happens, LOL. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I literally can’t tell when you are joking. The driest sense of humor ever.

🤣  Apparently...........you can!! 

Stick with me brother, we'll get "there."  Ironically, rats seem to have this sixth sense that allows them to always know when I'm joking.  With all due respect, you may not be much of a 🐀🙂

Pro tip:  just check the reactions to my posts.  If they're a bunch of rats laughing, it was a joke.

Edited by CaptainWoody