Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So Carnival has named their new new super cruise name as the Celebration. I don’t think this is good news for our dear old Grand Celebration.  Perhaps BPCL has sold the name back to Carnival and our dear old ship is off to the breakers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Celebration is different than Grand Celebration.  Carnival Horizon is different than Celebrity Horizon.  Carnival Freedom is different than Freedom of the Seas.  Carnival Legend is different than Legend of the Seas. Etc.

My point is the new Carnival Celebration is named after a ship that is still in existence. Your examples are ships from different cruise lines that have the same name but not the same cruise line. The New Carnival Celebration is named after the existing Grand Celebration. It’s like Carnival knows that the Grand Celebration will gone by the time the new Carnival Celebration is floated out. And just maybe Carnival paid BPCL for the name. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory but Carnival had so many names they could have used like the Tropicale, Holiday or even the poor Fantasy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

Your examples are ships from different cruise lines that have the same name but not the same cruise line.

 

HAL named one of their Signature Class ships the Nieuw Amsterdam while the Amsterdam was still sailing.  For those "uneducated" potential cruise guests, there was a minor issue with the confusion in their minds with both ships carrying the name of "Amsterdam".  

 

Personally, I won't be too concerned.  There's just too much in flux these days to have any idea what the scene is going to look like when--and if--the dust ever settles from this virus.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

So Carnival has named their new new super cruise name as the Celebration. I don’t think this is good news for our dear old Grand Celebration.  Perhaps BPCL has sold the name back to Carnival and our dear old ship is off to the breakers. 

 

Where did you learn this news?  Carnival's next ship to be introduced was to be named Mardi Gras.  Has that changed?  She was expected to begin service late this year from Port Canaveral.  Or, is "Celebration" another ship to follow Mardi Gras?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Where did you learn this news?  Carnival's next ship to be introduced was to be named Mardi Gras.  Has that changed?  She was expected to begin service late this year from Port Canaveral.  Or, is "Celebration" another ship to follow Mardi Gras?  

 

 

CELEBRATION is a sister ship to MARDI GRAS and will come after her.  

 

Carnival chose CELEBRATION for a couple reasons.  First it marks the celebration of their 50th anniversary, as the ship CELEBRATION will make it's debut that same year.  Second they seem to be getting nostalgic naming ships after some of their departed ships.  

 

I don't think they gave GRAND CELEBRATION a second thought when naming their new ship.  After all, Carnival probably has the trademark to the name "celebration", and they are certainly not worried about competition from GRAND CELEBRATION.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eroller said:

they seem to be getting nostalgic naming ships after some of their departed ships.  

 

And, why should they not?  Holiday, Jubilee, Festivale, even a reprise of Fantasy would not be inappropriate.  These ships, their crews, and the experiences that they provided helped to make Carnival Cruise Lines what it has been.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

And, why should they not?  Holiday, Jubilee, Festivale, even a reprise of Fantasy would not be inappropriate.  These ships, their crews, and the experiences that they provided helped to make Carnival Cruise Lines what it has been.   

 

 

Oh I agree.  I've outgrown Carnival but I have every intention of sailing on the new MARDI GRAS, because I loved the original and I hope to enjoy some nostalgia myself.  I would love to see a new CARNIVALE and FESTIVALE.  I've sailed on all three and love all three.  So many great memories from my younger days.  Hell my high school graduation gift was a cruise on the then brand new HOLIDAY.  I actually much prefer the "old" Carnival, the Fun Ships ... but times change.  

 

All this being said, Carnival has never been one for nostalgia.  When past ships have been scrapped like MARDI GRAS they never made any attempt to salvage anything from her which is unfortunate.  Always thinking to the future as I suppose companies should, but nice to see a little throwback action.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, eroller said:

All this being said, Carnival has never been one for nostalgia.  When past ships have been scrapped like MARDI GRAS they never made any attempt to salvage anything from her which is unfortunate.  Always thinking to the future as I suppose companies should, but nice to see a little throwback action.

 

Maybe in this seemingly-to-be new day and age of cruising, that thinking will change.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, eroller said:

 

 

Oh I agree.  I've outgrown Carnival but I have every intention of sailing on the new MARDI GRAS, because I loved the original and I hope to enjoy some nostalgia myself.  I would love to see a new CARNIVALE and FESTIVALE.  I've sailed on all three and love all three.  So many great memories from my younger days.  Hell my high school graduation gift was a cruise on the then brand new HOLIDAY.  I actually much prefer the "old" Carnival, the Fun Ships ... but times change.  

 

All this being said, Carnival has never been one for nostalgia.  When past ships have been scrapped like MARDI GRAS they never made any attempt to salvage anything from her which is unfortunate.  Always thinking to the future as I suppose companies should, but nice to see a little throwback action.  

 

Maybe a reason for not attempting to salvage anything nostalgic from Mardi Gras, Carnivale, or Festivale was they were "acquired" ships, not specifically built for Carnival.  Yet, to refute my own thinking, Holiday was their first new build, I recall.  Nothing was "saved" from her when she was removed from the fleet.

 

What do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Maybe a reason for not attempting to salvage anything nostalgic from Mardi Gras, Carnivale, or Festivale was they were "acquired" ships, not specifically built for Carnival.  Yet, to refute my own thinking, Holiday was their first new build, I recall.  Nothing was "saved" from her when she was removed from the fleet.

 

What do you think?

 

 

I just think for many many years, Carnival was considered the new kid on the block, the underdog so to speak, and they were always about looking forward and not to the past as they strove to achieve the #1 position.  Now that they are approaching their 50th Anniversary, and are very tenured and established, perhaps their thinking has changed and they have decided it's time to embrace their past, and even be a bit nostalgic.  I'm glad they have.  I do hope on both MARDI GRAS and CELEBRATION there will be some hints onboard to their predecessors.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, eroller said:

I do hope on both MARDI GRAS and CELEBRATION there will be some hints onboard to their predecessors.  

 

That would be great.  Certainly, there ought to be within the CCL HQ a ship model of Mardi Gras or a painting or photograph that could be prominently placed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

That would be great.  Certainly, there ought to be within the CCL HQ a ship model of Mardi Gras or a painting or photograph that could be prominently placed.  

Carnival Sunshine has a wall of items from the Carnival Destiny, including framed copies of the deck plans. Destiny's bell used to be on the Lido Deck but is now at Carnival HQ in Miami. It would be nice if Mardi Gras and Carnival Celebration could do the same for their predecessors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tidecat said:

Carnival Sunshine has a wall of items from the Carnival Destiny, including framed copies of the deck plans. Destiny's bell used to be on the Lido Deck but is now at Carnival HQ in Miami. It would be nice if Mardi Gras and Carnival Celebration could do the same for their predecessors.

 

Thanks for this information.  Perhaps, there is someone at CCL HQ that has a "sense of history" that ought to be preserved.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 8/25/2020 at 7:48 PM, tidecat said:

Carnival Sunshine has a wall of items from the Carnival Destiny, including framed copies of the deck plans. Destiny's bell used to be on the Lido Deck but is now at Carnival HQ in Miami. It would be nice if Mardi Gras and Carnival Celebration could do the same for their predecessors.

 

Actually, it is my understanding that the Carnival Sunshine is the Carnival Destiny.  So that's not really an example of moving items from one ship to another, just leaving some of the original aspects of the ship unchanged after a major refit (done to modernize and re-market the ship while also avoiding some of the stigma of when the Carnival Destiny was adrift for days in the Caribbean after losing power).

 

It sounds like the redecorating was extensive:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=658

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Modern_Viking said:

Actually, it is my understanding that the Carnival Sunshine is the Carnival Destiny.  

 

Your understanding is correct.  Before the pandemic, at least one other Carnival vessel was to undergo a similar "transformation" including a new name.  I think it was the Carnival Triumph.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Azamara - We are back with New Greece Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...