Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Well done you sleuths - Apia is correct - well done John. Bay of Islands is also right and you have sussed another port Colin - but not named it....yet! So, two and a half photos to go. 

I found Apia also, although @bluemarble's methodology was a bit more clever.  I found a google maps street view photo taken from the end of the breakwater with the row of flags.  There is a match to the shape of the concrete base of the flag poles, although the flags themselves are missing.  Perhaps they are only flown on ship days.  Rotating the street view 180 degrees shows the cargo and cruise pier.

image.png.9e5869cac8da49a4427147c7ec4c492b.png

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 6:02 PM, Palmeat said:

IMG_5757.JPG

This one is Cochin, India (also spelled Kochi).  The very distinctive building is the Cochin Port Trust.  Their web site has a very nice photo of QM2 passing alongside.  (Scroll to photo number 3 of the 5 pictures on the home page.)

https://cochinport.gov.in/

• Like 1

Earlier replies of Fort de France, Martinique and Cochin, India are also correct. I think this just leaves Split, Croatia from my earlier offerings (although Colin correctly identified the port without naming it). Are there any more new ones left? Peter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Earlier replies of Fort de France, Martinique and Cochin, India are also correct. I think this just leaves Split, Croatia from my earlier offerings (although Colin correctly identified the port without naming it). Are there any more new ones left? Peter.

Here is my updated list of the Cunard ports we have seen so far on this thread. I have included all the recently identified port photos including Santarem, Brazil. If you have any photos of ports not on this list that you know are Cunard ports (whether taken on a Cunard cruise or not), we would be happy to see them to try to identify.

I have long since run out of photos taken at Cunard ports. Since @Solent Richard recently contributed a photo of Darwin from my list of suggested ports and @Colin_Cameron contributed two photos (one I had suggested and one I hadn't), perhaps they have some more photos of other Cunard ports we haven't seen yet. Of course if anyone else has additional port photos to contribute, that would be most welcome as well.

If we don't get any more contributions in the next few days, I will offer some more suggestions of Cunard ports we haven't seen yet to see if we can keep this thread going a bit longer. I think the game is more fun though to try to identify photos without anyone suggesting the contribution of specific ports.

Where in the World 2021-04-06.txt

Edited by bluemarble

23 hours ago, sfred said:

100 pages!   Hurrah!  @Host Hattie, do you know if that is a record for the Cunard topic? 

55 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

It sometimes feels as if the dress code threads go on that long but I think it might be !

Thanks again to all the contributors

Yes, with almost 2500 posts this is by far the longest thread on the Cunard forum in its current state with threads dating back to 1 April 2004. Doing a "Sort by Most Replies" yields this interesting mix of topics with 500 or more posts.

2489 posts (from 22 Aug 2020) = Where in the World ?

1766 posts (from 23 Mar 2020) = Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

1532 posts (from 8 Feb 2020) = Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

1026 posts (from 12 Aug 2005) = QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

1000 posts (from 9 Jan 2015) = Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

936 posts (from 23 Nov 2013) = "Live from" Queen Elizabeth to the Mediterannean! My First Cunard Experience

907 posts (from 27 Mar 2018) = New Dress Code Designations?

750 posts (from 21 Mar 2013) = Where is QM2?

702 posts (from 17 Sep 2015) = Major QM2 interior refit 2016

682 posts (from 18 Mar 2013) = Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

581 posts (from 23 Apr 2020) = Cunard's Cancellations/Refunds Update 23rd April 2020

517 posts (from 23 Sep 2020) = Virtual treasure hunt.

513 posts (from 23 Mar 2009) = Will an American feel welcome on the QM2

Does anyone else remember the thread titled "Dancers' opinions of Cunard and other lines". I recall that thread from a few years ago which has since been deleted. That one seemed to go on for quite a long time. It may well have eclipsed 2500 posts before it was ultimately removed.

• Like 1

Re Carlmm's photo - sorry, I haven't a clue.

A review of my albums has thrown up photos of destinations which don't seem to appear on John's list. I know I've visited these aboard Cunard ships. I also have a number of ports which I'm confident Cunard ships will have visited at some time (also not on the list) but can't prove it. Finally I've identified many ports which I've visited on smaller ships - so possibly don't feature on Cunard past itineraries.

So to start with the first group, here are some confirmed Cunard ports which I can't find on 'the list'. Apologies if I've erred. Peter.

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

IMG_4228.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_8095.JPG

QE2 Cape Town 070.jpg

Edited by Palmeat

40 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

IMG_3455.JPG

I think this one is Kobe, Japan. A welcome addition to our Cunard port list.

This will be my one port identification for today from your latest set of photos. Thanks so much for all of these new port photos! There is plenty of life to this thread after all.

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Struggling with this one so far. The only thing I can latch onto is that the “High Voltage” sign on the door at the back right appears to be in Portuguese.

Indeed, it is Portuguese. 

25 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Indeed, it is Portuguese. 

Salvador de Bahia, Brazil?

Some reasons for my guess:.  Portugese.  A Brazil port not yet in our tracking list.  A Brazil port on QV's 2020 South America voyage that @carlmmwas on.  A very vague match to some of the buildings in a google street view of Tourist Terminal Náutico da Bahia.

15 hours ago, carlmm said:

Let's try this one.

Quest E 9 .jpg

For no scientific reason whatsoever, and merely because this doesn't look like a Portuguese speaking country in African or the Far East, I'll plump for Brazil. Whilst I haven't visited this port, I know Cunard has - so is it Fortaleza Brazil? 

10 hours ago, sfred said:

Salvador de Bahia, Brazil?

Some reasons for my guess:.  Portugese.  A Brazil port not yet in our tracking list.  A Brazil port on QV's 2020 South America voyage that @carlmmwas on.  A very vague match to some of the buildings in a google street view of Tourist Terminal Náutico da Bahia.

Good thinking and close, yet not exactly.

Edited by carlmm

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

For no scientific reason whatsoever, and merely because this doesn't look like a Portuguese speaking country in African or the Far East, I'll plump for Brazil. Whilst I haven't visited this port, I know Cunard has - so is it Fortaleza Brazil? 

Correct, this is Fortaleza!