Jump to content

Where in the world ?


Recommended Posts

On 6/7/2021 at 9:01 AM, Solent Richard said:

All these cold water ports are giving me the shivers. Time I put up some with a bit of warmth to reflect the climate we are enjoying here on the Solent at the moment...

 

693988972_WhereintheWorld112.jpg.2970c6a074ec4a5d9ecfed7b8f4affa4.jpg

 

I may have cracked the case on this one. I think this is a location mentioned in @Solent Ɍichard's blog. Not specifically a port of call for a cruise reviewed in the blog, but a destination that can be viewed from one of the places nearby that's listed on the cruise itinerary.

 

I'm finding a match for the profile of these hills to a view of the island of Lombok, Indonesia as seen from somewhere in the vicinity of Pulau Gili Meno.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

While I'm thinking of a clue to help with my still unrecognised photo (#3268 ) here's another original from my library that has yet to be identified...

 

Apologies @Solent Richard - I had thought your post #3268 was the port that @bluemarbleidentified as Nha Trang, so I mistakenly said that we were temporarily out of photos when I posed my latest historical submission.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sfred said:

 

Apologies @Solent Richard - I had thought your post #3268 was the port that @bluemarbleidentified as Nha Trang, so I mistakenly said that we were temporarily out of photos when I posed my latest historical submission.

 

Not a problem at all @sfred. I'm often confused at just where we stand with 'outstanding' ports. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

 

I may have cracked the case on this one. I think this is a location mentioned in @Solent Ɍichard's blog. Not specifically a port of call for a cruise reviewed in the blog, but a destination that can be viewed from one of the places nearby that's listed on the cruise itinerary.

 

I'm finding a match for the profile of these hills to a view of the island of Lombok, Indonesia as seen from somewhere in the vicinity of Pulau Gili Meno.

 

Congratulations @bluemarble , another outstanding piece of detective work from a true master Sleuth.

 

Absolutely correct in all predictions. Here we are approaching Pulau Gili Meno having sailed along the Lombok Strait from Benoa...

 

647941571_ApproachtoGiliMeno.thumb.jpg.f8ef8d4c40dcd9ca5a4bfdada4ccb273.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 1:44 AM, sfred said:

As we seem to be temporarily out of unidentified port photos, and inspired by @Colin_Cameron's recent post, here is another historical photo of a Cunard port.  Several of the more prominent heritage buildings are still with us today.   The photo, in the public domain, is undated but I'll guess it must be early 1900s based on showing both a steam and sail ship.

 

image.png.c9a96e9f5cb9b0b8dc4e9a052e1e821f.png

 

On 6/11/2021 at 6:34 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

👍 If I didn’t recognise that central building there would be something wrong. I’ve spent enough time in it over the years.

 

I suppose it's high time we officially identified this one. This is of course Aberdeen, Scotland.

 

Google Maps tells me that central building houses the Aberdeen Harbour Board offices. @Colin_Cameron, if it isn't prying too much, I'd love to learn more about your association with that building over the years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Google Maps tells me that central building houses the Aberdeen Harbour Board offices. @Colin_Cameron, if it isn't prying too much, I'd love to learn more about your association with that building over the years.

Fun Fact: Aberdeen Harbour Board was founded in 1136 and according to Guiness World Records is the oldest company in Britain.

 

It's nothing exciting really. I was a computer engineer for 40+ years and they were one of my customers. Between installs, upgrades, repairs and maintenance I was in and out of both the office and the control tower quite a bit. They have an amazing ship simulator for training the harbour pilots. Aberdeen Harbour - Pilot Training - YouTube (There used to be a much better youtube video but I can't find it now)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I suppose it's high time we officially identified this one. This is of course Aberdeen, Scotland.

Google Maps tells me that central building houses the Aberdeen Harbour Board offices.

 

5 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Fun Fact: Aberdeen Harbour Board was founded in 1136 and according to Guiness World Records is the oldest company in Britain.

 

Congratulations @bluemarble and @Colin_Cameron.  It is indeed Aberdeen.  I thought it might make good use of the time that @Colin_Cameroninvested in Plymouth if I could find and contribute a historical photo of Aberdeen.  I was again happy to see that several historical buildings remain in good use.

 

The centre building in the photo is, as both of you identified, the Harbour Board building at 16 Regent Street.  Built in 1885, it remains the location of the Harbour Board today.  I also ran across that fun fact of it being the oldest company in Britain.  Apparently in 1136, King David 1st of Scotland granted the Bishops of Aberdeen the right to levy a tithe on all ships trading at the port, and the company was formed. 

 

The buildings to the left of the Harbour Board in the photo have not survived.  Some were replaced by Virginia Strreet, the A956, and others by an Ibis hotel.  There is a scar on the side of the Harbour Board building where the other buildings used to be.

 

The tower at the left in the photo remains today, and is part of the Aberdeen Sheriff Court buildings on Castle Street.  The tower at the right also remains, and looks like it is part of the Hansen residence hotel.

 

I wasn't able to make out the letters on the bow of the steam ship docked at the pier.  @bluemarble, were you able to identify the ship? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2021 at 12:43 AM, Palmeat said:

On the basis that I don't have an 'easy' photo of this place on the list, here are 4 photos of the same place! Hope there's enough here to identify this port of call.

IMG_1725.JPG

 

 

The similarity of these buildings to the port at Benoa Bali suggests Indonesia, but I can't find a match at any of the unseen Indonesian ports on the list.  I'm probably looking in the wrong place....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sfred said:

I wasn't able to make out the letters on the bow of the steam ship docked at the pier.  @bluemarble, were you able to identify the ship? 

 

Sorry, no, I haven't been able to identify the ship in that Aberdeen port photo either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, sfred said:

The similarity of these buildings to the port at Benoa Bali suggests Indonesia, but I can't find a match at any of the unseen Indonesian ports on the list.  I'm probably looking in the wrong place....

 

That was very observant of you to notice the similarity to the port of Benoa, Bali, @sfred. Take at closer look near the other Bali port on our unseen ports list, Padang Bay, Bali. Specifically, follow the coast a few miles to the north of "Padang Bai Harbour" on Google Maps to the pier labeled "Dermaga Tanah Ampo". I think you'll find a good match there to that first photo of @Palmeat's. I haven't yet found matches to his other three photos of that port, but I think I managed to locate that first one.

Edited by bluemarble
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

 

That was very observant of you to notice the similarity to the port of Benoa, Bali, @sfred. Take at closer look near the other Bali port on our unseen ports list, Padang Bay, Bali.

 

Thanks @bluemarble.  I feel somewhat comforted that I was looking in the right place in the world, although in retrospect I was much less observant than I could have been.  I started with a simple google image search using keywords for red roofed buildings at cruise piers, and one of the hits that came back was for Benoa, Bali.  Benoa is on our already-seen tracking list, so I started my way through the Indonesia ports on our unseen list, not observing that there was another Bali port.

 

I probably would have missed Padang Bay anyway.  With numerous Indonesia ports to work through, I was quickly discarding places without a pier, red roofed buildings, or mountains on the land side.  At Padang Bay itself, the pier isn't a match to @Palmeat's photo, and there's no red roofed buildings.  I don't think I would've looked further north up the coast to Dermaga Tanah Ampo.  Well spotted!

Edited by sfred
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sfred said:

 

Thanks @bluemarble.  I feel somewhat comforted that I was looking in the right place in the world, although in retrospect I was much less observant than I could have been.  I started with a simple google image search using keywords for red roofed buildings at cruise piers, and one of the hits that came back was for Benoa, Bali.  Benoa is on our already-seen tracking list, so I started my way through the Indonesia ports on our unseen list, not observing that there was another Bali port.

 

I probably would have missed Padang Bay anyway.  With numerous Indonesia ports to work through, I was quickly discarding places without a pier, red roofed buildings, or mountains on the land side.  At Padang Bay itself, the pier isn't a match to @Palmeat's photo, and there's no red roofed buildings.  I don't think I would've looked further north up the coast to Dermaga Tanah Ampo.  Well spotted!

Congratulations @bluemarble and @sfred. I had the port as Padang (from our trip itinerary) -  but the geo-thingy-map from my photos identifies the location as Padang Bay. It seems we may have tendered from a spot a few miles adrift from the main Padang Bay town, but hope this counts as close enough to knock the port off our list?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Congratulations @bluemarble and @sfred. I had the port as Padang (from our trip itinerary) -  but the geo-thingy-map from my photos identifies the location as Padang Bay. It seems we may have tendered from a spot a few miles adrift from the main Padang Bay town, but hope this counts as close enough to knock the port off our list?

 

Oh yes, I think your photos count as Padang Bay. We've seen a few other tender ports like that. The photo I contributed of English Harbour, Antigua is a similar situation. It showed QM2 anchored at sea several miles from the tender dock and other port facilities which are nowhere to be seen in the photo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, Solent Richard said:

While I'm thinking of a clue to help with my still unrecognised photo (#3268 ) here's another original from my library that has yet to be identified...

 

937361451_WhereintheWorld116.thumb.jpg.fc1d411e252fe705f0801e9989594a1a.jpg

 

Photograph was taken while on an excursion coach returning to a Cunard Ship. The port is there in the distance.

 

Looks as though I'd better add another photograph of this port. Here's the view from the opposite direction (at Sail away)...

 

375760186_WhereintheWorld117.thumb.jpg.c135d7384fca14d5d62d8300e132114c.jpg

 

Heading off to the Dorset Coast today for a bit of ship spotting having just watched Queen Elizabeth sailing into Southampton.

Edited by Solent Richard
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

 

Looks as though I'd better add another photograph of this port. Here's the view from the opposite direction (at Sail away)...

 

375760186_WhereintheWorld117.thumb.jpg.c135d7384fca14d5d62d8300e132114c.jpg

 

Heading off to the Dorset Coast today for a bit of ship spotting having just watched Queen Elizabeth sailing into Southampton.

 

The writing on the storage tanks at the lower right is French (eau centrale, and eau incendie), but unfortunately I can't find a match to a France or French-speaking island port.

 

Best wishes for your trip to Dorset, @Solent Ɍichard!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, Solent Richard said:

While I'm thinking of a clue to help with my still unrecognised photo (#3268 ) here's another original from my library that has yet to be identified...

 

937361451_WhereintheWorld116.thumb.jpg.fc1d411e252fe705f0801e9989594a1a.jpg

 

Photograph was taken while on an excursion coach returning to a Cunard Ship. The port is there in the distance.

 

5 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

 

Looks as though I'd better add another photograph of this port. Here's the view from the opposite direction (at Sail away)...

 

375760186_WhereintheWorld117.thumb.jpg.c135d7384fca14d5d62d8300e132114c.jpg

OK. Now I get it.

 

I saw the first picture and thought that's Reunion. But we've already seen that so I must be wrong. Then you posted the second one and I thought that looks like Le Port, Reunion. But ...

 

I've just checked the list and I see it is still listed as Pointe Des Galets, Reunion

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

OK. Now I get it.

 

I saw the first picture and thought that's Reunion. But we've already seen that so I must be wrong. Then you posted the second one and I thought that looks like Le Port, Reunion. But ...

 

I've just checked the list and I see it is still listed as Pointe Des Galets, Reunion

 

Ah, yes. Those cliffs in @Solent Richard's photos appear to be showing us the cape on Reunion named Pointe Des Galets. That made our unseen ports list my virtue of it being listed as such on a March 2000 QE2 itinerary. But I see now that's synonymous with Le Port, Reunion. I'll merge those two into "Le Port/Pointe Des Galets, Reunion" for our list of ports we've seen on this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 10:34 AM, Palmeat said:

And one more for the weekend, from the list (sorry it's the best shot I had of the port!)

IMG_1204.JPG

 

I think I've found this one. I got a match to this style of port cranes (as well as other details) at Ashdod, Israel. To further verify that identification, the tallest building in the center background of this photo is a match to LogistiCare Granaries at Ashdod Port.

 

The ship is Regent Seven Seas Mariner based on matching the ships listed in @Palmeat's signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Since I think all the port photos to this point have been identified, now would probably be a good time for updated port lists.

 

I've added three ports to the unseen ports list. I recently mentioned finding Cunard itineraries listing Opatija, Croatia and Skopelos, Greece. I've also learned Freetown, Sierra Leone was a replacement port on QE2's 1991 world cruise when she was rerouted around Africa because of the Gulf War.

 

I've decided to remove Great Harbor from the unseen ports list. All I had to go on was finding just that port name listed (using that spelling) without an island name on several Caribbean itineraries for the Sea Goddesses. I realize now that's not enough to know if that actually meant Great Harbour at Peter Island, at Jost Van Dyke, or possibly somewhere else that uses the US spelling.

 

Here are the latest lists of the ports we've seen so far and the Cunard ports we haven't seen yet on this thread.

 

Where in the World 2021-06-15.txt

 

Cunard ports not seen yet 2021-06-15.txt

 

 

Edit to add: By my count the next port to be identified will get us to 450 total ports.

Edited by bluemarble
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Edit to add: By my count the next port to be identified will get us to 450 total ports.

 

Thanks very much @bluemarble.  Here's a contribution which can help us get to 450.  I've been to this town on a road trip but not by ship, Cunard or otherwise.  Lacking a photo of my own, here is a public domain photo from wikimedia commons.  I've verified in google street view that it is an accurate representation of the port.

 

image.thumb.png.e74bc2fcccc5c8f4c288a1156381ee35.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I think I've found this one. I got a match to this style of port cranes (as well as other details) at Ashdod, Israel.

 

I tried looking for the cranes too, but the closest I could find were in Sanya, China.  The Sanya port did not match, however, and the Sanya cranes were just slightly different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bluemarble said:

 

Ah, yes. Those cliffs in @Solent Richard's photos appear to be showing us the cape on Reunion named Pointe Des Galets. That made our unseen ports list my virtue of it being listed as such on a March 2000 QE2 itinerary. But I see now that's synonymous with Le Port, Reunion. I'll merge those two into "Le Port/Pointe Des Galets, Reunion" for our list of ports we've seen on this thread.

Congratulations once again @bluemarble, it is indeed Pointe Des Galets, Reunion.

 

The photographs were taken from Queen Victoria on 5 April 2019

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

 

I think I've found this one. I got a match to this style of port cranes (as well as other details) at Ashdod, Israel. To further verify that identification, the tallest building in the center background of this photo is a match to LogistiCare Granaries at Ashdod Port.

 

The ship is Regent Seven Seas Mariner based on matching the ships listed in @Palmeat's signature.

Well done @bluemarble. Ashdod, Israel is correct, as is the ship. Good identification despite poor photo. Thanks also for updating the 'master' list. I fear we may have difficulty finding photos of all these ports - even if every subscriber on Cruise Critic contributes! Still, I've found this one, taken just to the west of the port. Bon chance!

P1000543.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

I've found this one, taken just to the west of the port. Bon chance!

P1000543.JPG

 

Is this Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Canary Islands?  I think I found a match to the lighthouse, the Faro de Punta Pechiguera, to the west of the port as you indicated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, sfred said:

 

Is this Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Canary Islands?  I think I found a match to the lighthouse, the Faro de Punta Pechiguera, to the west of the port as you indicated.

Well done @sfred - Playa Blanca is correct, as is your identification of the lighthouse.  That's 450 I think? No joy with your photo yet - you mentioned 'road trip', so I've firstly eliminated all the Australian ports! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...