Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

I think you're doing pretty well without any more help Peter. 

Though maybe an elephant could lend you a hand. 😀

Thanks for the additional clue @Solent Ɍichard. Not sure it helps, but I'll have to guess something, so here goes. 'Elephant' could point towards India or Sri Lanka - but only Indian ports left on the list. Kerala state has a pair of elephants as its emblem and within the state is the city of Thiruvananthapuram, which by anyone's yardstick is a mouthful to pronounce so would be great to get ticked off our list. Can't find any matching images of beaches or other confirmatory evidence so I'll just plump for  Thiruvananthapuram. Ta-Da! 

14 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Thanks for the additional clue @Solent Ɍichard. Not sure it helps, but I'll have to guess something, so here goes. 'Elephant' could point towards India or Sri Lanka - but only Indian ports left on the list. Kerala state has a pair of elephants as its emblem and within the state is the city of Thiruvananthapuram, which by anyone's yardstick is a mouthful to pronounce so would be great to get ticked off our list. Can't find any matching images of beaches or other confirmatory evidence so I'll just plump for  Thiruvananthapuram. Ta-Da! 

38 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I was wondering if it's because an elephant never forgets. Do we need to remember something Solent Richard has told us before?

Good morning Gentlemen. I really had thought Peter @Palmeat had sussed this one out having lined up a date and an event.

Maybe the 'Elephant' clue was a wee bit too technical however the name of this port of call, which remains on my latest list, does also has a tenuous link to a  football club on the Mersey.

I can also offer a further clue in this  photograph, taken on a stopover while travelling home from Sydney in 2009,  having just disembarked Queen Mary 2...

129279641_WhereintheWorld119.thumb.jpg.f17d9480d51bf21adeda32ae711ffdd4.jpg

25 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning Gentlemen. I really had thought Peter @Palmeat had sussed this one out having lined up a date and an event.

Maybe the 'Elephant' clue was a wee bit too technical however the name of this port of call, which remains on my latest list, does also has a tenuous link to a  football club on the Mersey.

I can also offer a further clue in this  photograph, taken on a stopover while travelling home from Sydney in 2009,  having just disembarked Queen Mary 2...

129279641_WhereintheWorld119.thumb.jpg.f17d9480d51bf21adeda32ae711ffdd4.jpg

Ko Chang, Thailand?

46 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

Ko Chang, Thailand?

1554129559_WhereintheWorld118.thumb.jpg.9b4dc51e2b6eebd27ac936edea38eafb.jpg

Congratulations @North West Newbie the original photograph was taken on the island of Ko Chang, Thailand in January 2005, just two weeks after the devastating Tsunami - which @Palmeat had touched on earlier.

'Chang' being the Thai word for 'elephant' and of course Chang beer being one of  Everton Football Club sponsors..

6 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

1554129559_WhereintheWorld118.thumb.jpg.9b4dc51e2b6eebd27ac936edea38eafb.jpg

Congratulations @North West Newbie the original photograph was taken on the island of Ko Chang, Thailand in January 2005, just two weeks after the devastating Tsunami - which @Palmeat had touched on earlier.

'Chang' being the Thai word for 'elephant' and of course Chang beer being one of  Everton Football Club sponsors..

Well played, @Solent Richard! You had me stumped on that one. I was originally looking everywhere from Thailand to the Philippines since we know you were at the Phi Phi Islands in early 2005 and Subic Bay sometime in 2005. I'm afraid all I managed to figure out from your elephant hint was to eliminate the Philippines. Ko Chang was on my short list of ports I had been looking at but so was everywhere else in Indonesia, Malaysia and a few other places. No joy matching that beach scene, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's one more from our list I have to contribute. This is a scan of a photo, not taken during a cruise, I found in my archives.

999021549_WhereintheWorld(78).thumb.jpg.c59bcaeabe25cd11ccd290956b34b90a.jpg

I'll do the easy part - that looks to be the Gay Head lighthouse on Martha's Vineyard...or at least what I remember it looked like from a while back.

The hard part - I have no recollection of a cruise ship port on the Vineyard. Oak Bluffs??

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ExArkie said:

I'll do the easy part - that looks to be the Gay Head lighthouse on Martha's Vineyard...or at least what I remember it looked like from a while back.

The hard part - I have no recollection of a cruise ship port on the Vineyard. Oak Bluffs??

You got it, @ExArkie. All we're looking for is "Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts" as listed on our unseen ports list. It made that list by virtue of finding an itinerary indicating a QE2 call there in 1987 and a couple calls there by Caronia in 2001. I imagine Martha's Vineyard was a tender port for those calls.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Well played, @Solent Richard! You had me stumped on that one. I was originally looking everywhere from Thailand to the Philippines since we know you were at the Phi Phi Islands in early 2005 and Subic Bay sometime in 2005. I'm afraid all I managed to figure out from your elephant hint was to eliminate the Philippines. Ko Chang was on my short list of ports I had been looking at but so was everywhere else in Indonesia, Malaysia and a few other places. No joy matching that beach scene, I'm afraid.

You're a good man John and I admire both your perseverance and acumen: not to mention your powers of resolution. 

Most of the Far Eastern places I've shown were originally destinations for my Scuba Diving exploits and they then became holiday (vacation) destinations in order to share with  my wife those exotic  experiences. Indeed, I openly now confess that I'm missing Thailand in particular more than I'm missing cruising.

Having said that we booked number 6 future cruise this week, albeit a 'Seacation' this August on the new Virgin ship 'Scarlet Lady'. 😈

Here's another Cunard port from my 1996 driving trip.  Lacking pictures of my own, these are public domain photos.

image.thumb.png.52660083e997da23af49fbc5df816932.png

And, just so you don't get a bad impression from this rather industrial view of grain silos and cargo cranes, here is a much more scenic photo taken just around the headlands to the west of the port area.

image.thumb.png.4fa2b8658a5bf89f57bceca907711e27.png

23 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Well that helped considerably.😄 This looks suspiciously like Esperance, WA. The harbour, and Lovers Cove Beach.

Correct!  I thought you might easily get this one from our earlier posts about the circular WA drive.

The second photo shows a typical crowded Aussie beach - one person!  😎

Another public domain photo of a Cunard port from the list.

A clue to the size of the port is that this is the only time we have ever disembarked, luggage and all, via tender. And obviously the people on the next cruise embarked by tender.

P.S. Just noticed that there is a clue, at least to the country, in the photo.

043.jpg

3 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Another public domain photo of a Cunard port from the list.

A clue to the size of the port is that this is the only time we have ever disembarked, luggage and all, via tender. And obviously the people on the next cruise embarked by tender.

P.S. Just noticed that there is a clue, at least to the country, in the photo.

043.jpg

It's good to get back in the game with a port photo I can identify today. I suppose the clue which helps identify the country is the blue "ABP" (Associated British Ports) logo on the building to the right of center. Google maps reveals the writing below that logo reads "Port of Ayr / Arran Terminal".

This one is Ayr, Scotland.

• Like 2

Here's a happy discovery of photo from my archives showing a location on the unseen Cunard ports list I had completely forgotten about. This was taken from our coach window during a land tour a few years ago. If the scene itself isn't recognizable, there are clues in the photo which should aid in figuring this one out with a little research.

789164217_WhereintheWorld(79).thumb.jpg.1ce70a72ec5e50d3f404e7baee8bdb03.jpg

36 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a happy discovery of photo from my archives showing a location on the unseen Cunard ports list I had completely forgotten about. This was taken from our coach window during a land tour a few years ago. If the scene itself isn't recognizable, there are clues in the photo which should aid in figuring this one out with a little research.

789164217_WhereintheWorld(79).thumb.jpg.1ce70a72ec5e50d3f404e7baee8bdb03.jpg

I'll take a stab at Killybegs, Ireland.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

I'll take a stab at Killybegs, Ireland.

That's correct. Well done. That photo was taken during a brief photo opportunity midway between Donegal and Slieve League. I hadn't recorded any details about that stop but investigation yesterday and this morning help prove it's Killybegs.

My photo was taken in 2017. The only record I have of Killybegs being a Cunard port is QE's call there in 2018. So at the time I took the photo it might not yet have been a Cunard port.

Lots of great activity overnight my time!  Congratulations everyone on the additions to the ports-seen list.

Here is a Cunard port I've been to only once (not by ship), for a half-day work meeting on the way in between two other places.  Unfortunately I saw nothing of the city aside from the airport, a taxi ride, and an office building.  This photo is public domain from wikimedia commons.

The relevance for us here, though, is that it completes the last "missing letter".

image.png.0c3f68513bd3fcab118bd519b9745fb3.png

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sfred said:

Lots of great activity overnight my time!  Congratulations everyone on the additions to the ports-seen list.

Here is a Cunard port I've been to only once (not by ship), for a half-day work meeting on the way in between two other places.  Unfortunately I saw nothing of the city aside from the airport, a taxi ride, and an office building.  This photo is public domain from wikimedia commons.

The relevance for us here, though, is that it completes the last "missing letter".

image.png.0c3f68513bd3fcab118bd519b9745fb3.png

I've not figured the port yet but that certainly looks like one of my favourite cruise lines berthed far left - Hapag-Lloyd - with an orange stack?

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

I've not figured the port yet but that certainly looks like one of my favourite cruise lines berthed far left - Hapag-Lloyd - with an orange stack?

Here's a closeup view of the ship in my latest post.  Not sure of the ID, but doesn't looks like Hapag-Lloyd.

image.png.ab2294fc2014fe7a867b804d9eaa235f.png

• Like 1

I fear I've now run out of photos of places I've visited which are on the list - so if it's OK I'll offer one which is not on the list, but which a Cunard ship may well have visited (we were aboard Oceania Riviera, so not an obscure 'small' ship port). 3 photos taken in the early morning sunrise, to ease identification.

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG