Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I think this is Klaksvik, Faroe Islands.

I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled across this article, but it was the key to identifying this port.

https://www.cruiseeurope.com/news/queen-victoria-opens-the-season-at-klaksvik/

Looks like that was a port substitution for Torshavn, Faroe Islands which is what's shown in the itineraries I have for QV on the date quoted in the article (26 June 2013).

right and wrong it is Klasvik but it was an addition to Torshavn  this was a 15 night cruise originally calling at Flam but that was dropped (2 many ships was reason given) Eidfjiord was substituted but changed to Bergen

Captain Olsen as she was then was unsure of the new bridge construction the ship would need to pass under. Anyway to Klasvik, originally we had two full days in Reykjavik but that was changed to half day leaving early afternoon after an overnight. Many including us had to rearrange tours etc . We arrived at Klasvik after a seaday at about 1800 to a great reception and left at 0400 the next morning for Torshavn a hop of about 20 miles.

In the evening at Klasvik  locals came aboard and treated us to some Faroese folk dancing.

P1000252.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amias said:

Same trip, opposite end of the land mass.

IMGP8981.JPG

I'm going to say Oban, Scotland for this one. The profile of the hills in the distance and other details match up pretty well with this photo of QM2 at Oban that Host Hattie posted near the beginning of this thread.

IMG_20200822_145257.png.576143cbc24c69e3

6 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I am a bit late to the party, but here is one from me.

Mirador del Parrotetest.jpg

I'm going with La Coruña, Spain for this one.

I haven't been there myself, but I was able to match this scene very closely to a photo I found online. In the category of additional totally useless information, the sign at the end of the pier happens to read:

"VELOCIDAO MAXIMA 2 NUDOS

SPEED LIMIT 2 KNOTS"

Just noticed I somehow managed to insert "Mirador del Parotte" into my quote above of @Lanky Lad's post. That's the location within La Coruña shown on google maps were I figured he probably took the photo. I apparently copied and pasted that name into the quote by mistake as I was researching additional information about it. Sorry about that. I wouldn't want anyone to think that was in Lanky Lad's original post.

Edited by bluemarble

15 hours ago, amias said:

Same trip, opposite end of the land mass.

Still puzzling how Oban in Scotland is the opposite end of the same land mass as the island of Guernsey. 🙂

This one from 2009  (Europe)

image.thumb.jpeg.695de018bd06c398a8bc1337664658fa.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Is this one still outstanding ? I think we need a clue @exlondoner

Last summer. I think it may have been a maiden call, but can't swear to it. The view from the other side of the ship was completely different: a marina, a few small ferries, then a naval base.  A much more attractive place than the picture suggests.

28 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Last summer. I think it may have been a maiden call, but can't swear to it. The view from the other side of the ship was completely different: a marina, a few small ferries, then a naval base.  A much more attractive place than the picture suggests.

Brest in France?

Or maybe Klaipeda, Lithuania?  Or maybe Gdynia (Poland)?

Edited by Ray66

12 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Brest in France?

Or maybe Klaipeda, Lithuania?

No, neither, though I wish I had a picture of Klaipeda which I like very much, despite there being a Lithuanian frigate occupying our berth when we arrived there. Notice the nice hot sunny weather.

18 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm going with La Coruña, Spain for this one.

I haven't been there myself, but I was able to match this scene very closely to a photo I found online. In the category of additional totally useless information, the sign at the end of the pier happens to read:

"VELOCIDAO MAXIMA 2 NUDOS

SPEED LIMIT 2 KNOTS"

Yes it's La Coruna

On 9/1/2020 at 3:32 AM, exlondoner said:

I almost never take photos, but I did,find this. The shadow is QV.

IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.1de674347bf2075d60a77227162095f3.JPG

I think I've finally found it! I believe this photo was taken at La Spezia, Italy. It looks like you were docked at the Molo Garibaldi pier with a view to the Molo Fornelli pier (with its red and white striped cranes) in the distance.

Edited by bluemarble

3 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

I think this is Stavanger

That is correct. That photo was taken at the base of the Valberg Tower (Valbergtårnet) in Stavanger, Norway. Here's another photo with a wider view of the scene to show the entire tower with QE2's funnel in the background.

image.thumb.png.be2dbdace2d2da6d2677db83ec8de79a.png