Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Too bad the QE bridge webcam is not operational. QE has been "at anchor" at Claggain Bay about a mile of the island of Islay since about 6:00pm local time. Might have been an interesting view on the webcam, maybe even a sunset if the weather cooperated as her heading has been generally to the west.

The last port image I posted above was intentionally chosen to be an unconventional view of the city. One trick is that the water in the foreground is not the ocean. The ocean is a couple miles away behind the buildings in the distance.

22 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Let's give this one a try. This is another public domain image of a city on our unseen ports list I've visited but not on a cruise. I think this is the last place on the unseen ports list I can claim to have visited.

735893609_WhereintheWorld(93).thumb.jpg.2aade4877e478e316f828fea50143f21.jpg

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The last port image I posted above was intentionally chosen to be an unconventional view of the city. One trick is that the water in the foreground is not the ocean. The ocean is a couple miles away behind the buildings in the distance.

Ah, of course!  Your hint, and an overnight rest for my eyes, gives a match to Palm Beach, Florida USA.

My earlier mistake was examining the city from the ocean and also the inlet/Lake Worth Lagoon perspectives.  Looking from Clear Lake provides a quick match to the Marriott hotel and the other buildings.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sfred said:

Ah, of course!  Your hint, and an overnight rest for my eyes, gives a match to Palm Beach, Florida USA.

My earlier mistake was examining the city from the ocean and also the inlet/Lake Worth Lagoon perspectives.  Looking from Clear Lake provides a quick match to the Marriott hotel and the other buildings.

Correct in all respects, @sfred.

This reply happens to be my 1000th post on this thread. It seems fitting to have reached that milestone while confirming the identity of the last image I am likely to be able to contribute to this amazing topic.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 7:56 PM, exlondoner said:

I am going to post a picture of somewhere I should have been, if the cruise hadn't been cancelled for Covid: this must provide a rich supply for a number of us.

@exlondonerrecently provided a good loophole for additional port photo contributions - places we should have gone to on Cunard, but did not actually get to. 

I have only one such port still on on our unseen list.  It was from a pre-Covid Cunard voyage, and this port was cancelled shortly before we embarked and replaced by a different port in the same country.  Here are two public domain photos of a beach area and lighthouse to the west of the port facilities, taken from opposite perspectives.  The lighthouse in the second photo is visible at the far left of the first photo.

image.thumb.png.cfd49ef682750a6e37dd9655d82f2815.png

image.thumb.png.1a4c707089bc3c2b00ad9b77cf23732e.png

4 hours ago, sfred said:

@exlondonerrecently provided a good loophole for additional port photo contributions - places we should have gone to on Cunard, but did not actually get to. 

I have only one such port still on on our unseen list.  It was from a pre-Covid Cunard voyage, and this port was cancelled shortly before we embarked and replaced by a different port in the same country.  Here are two public domain photos of a beach area and lighthouse to the west of the port facilities, taken from opposite perspectives.  The lighthouse in the second photo is visible at the far left of the first photo.

image.thumb.png.cfd49ef682750a6e37dd9655d82f2815.png

image.thumb.png.1a4c707089bc3c2b00ad9b77cf23732e.png

I'm getting a match with Jeju-do, South Korea

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

This is another place from a cancelled cruise.

IMG_1641.thumb.JPG.78be4e376b02efafbfc6e3f062857ef3.JPG

I think this one is Haugesund, Norway.

We've had our share of cancelled ports over the years as well as a cancelled cruise last year. Unfortunately for opportunities to contribute to this thread, none of our cancellations involved ports that haven't already been seen here.

13 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

We've had our share of cancelled ports over the years as well as a cancelled cruise last year. Unfortunately for opportunities to contribute to this thread, none of our cancellations involved ports that haven't already been seen here.

Quite right.

14 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Quite right.

11 hours ago, North West Newbie said:

I'm getting a match with Jeju-do, South Korea

Correct!  We were supposed to call at Jeju Island on 23 March 2017 on QM2, but it was replaced with a 27 March call to Incheon (Seoul).  These are the horse lighthouses at Iho Tewoo beach.

Let's see if we can keep this thread going a few more days to reach its one year anniversary on August 22nd. Toward that end, how about we add a few more cruise-by calls to our Cunard ports list? Here are some cruise-by/sail-by/scenic cruising calls listed on Cunard itineraries.

Alaska

Alert Bay, Alaska

Bella Bella, Alaska

College Fjord, Alaska

Columbia Glacier, Alaska

Cook Inlet, Alaska

Endicott Arm, Alaska

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Katchemak Bay, Alaska

Kenai Fjords, Alaska

Kings Bay, Alaska

Port Nellie Juan, Alaska

Tracy Arm, Alaska

Yakutat Bay, Alaska

Australia/New Zealand

Tasman Peninsula TAS, Australia

Wilsons Promontory VIC, Australia

Marlborough Sound, New Zealand

Iceland

Eyjafjordur, Iceland

Hrisey, Iceland

Norway

Aurlandsfjord, Norway

Geirangerfjord, Norway

Innvikfjorden, Norway

Lustrafjorden, Norway

Nordfjord, Norway

Romsdalsfjord, Norway

Sognefjord, Norway

Storfjorden, Norway

Sunnylvsfjorden, Norway

UK

Flamborough Head, England

South Cornwall, England

Bass Rock, Scotland

Cape Wrath, Scotland

Isle of May, Scotland

Isle of Mull, Scotland

Notice I have listed Aurlandsfjord and Sognefjord above in light gray italics since we've already seen those on this previous post of mine from last October. I'll go ahead and add Aurlandsfjord and Sognefjord to our list of destinations seen on this thread.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:08 PM, bluemarble said:

Here's something a bit different. It's from a port we've seen here before. This was my attempt to illustrate how much you can see while seated in a sheltered balcony on QM2. This represents a best-case scenario with scenery close to the ship and a fairly tall person (6 ft. 2 in.) taking the photos. These photos were taken in this order over a span of about 45 minutes soon after we departed one of our ports. Which port is this?

image.png.34489dab1a07b13e5e0ef9908af14da5.png

image.png.6b1f5c285badd9a68b1eb3db24279639.png

image.png.5ff4554f846830e5f4d1e5013d06740d.png

image.png.26a6bc5304fcf02447d60b841c3b4311.png

image.png.5d70b2f8f1a532fa4b44500d0d99b4ea.png

image.png.8ea5d7929a84e84823f172d52344a009.png

image.png.89bdc7f9422545122b32caa099384186.png

image.png.eb6a66d5a70ae008acb0350528f351f1.png

Photos you have of any of the locations I've listed above are welcome whether taken on a Cunard cruise or not. Photos of any other cruise-by destinations you've seen during a Cunard cruise are welcome as well. There are a few more such places being visited during QE's current voyage.

Another photo I've posted on this thread probably already takes care of showing one of cruise-by calls from my list above. But to make it official, here is a photo of a well-known landmark that definitely qualifies as being part of that cruise-by location. This photo was taken from QE2. I don't expect it will take long for this to be identified.

1040896803_WhereintheWorld(94).thumb.jpg.3a9b2385b5bf9532a9ef70b6ed83d8d7.jpg

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Another photo I've posted on this thread probably already takes care of showing one of cruise-by calls from my list above. But to make it official, here is a photo of a well-known landmark that definitely qualifies as being part of that cruise-by location. This photo was taken from QE2. I don't expect it will take long for this to be identified.

1040896803_WhereintheWorld(94).thumb.jpg.3a9b2385b5bf9532a9ef70b6ed83d8d7.jpg

Geiranger?

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Let's see if we can keep this thread going a few more days to reach its one year anniversary on August 22nd. Toward that end, how about we add a few more cruise-by calls to our Cunard ports list?

A very good idea, @bluemarble.  I should have a few of these cruise-bys somewhere in my photo folders.  I'll do some searching later this week.

With the addition of the two Norway locations, we're up to (I think) 544 total ports.  Norway has  overtaken Greece and Italy for the number 3 ranking of most-seen countries, behind only the US and UK.  The US has the advantage of numerous Alaska ports, which promise to also grow with the additional cruise-by candidates.

46 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Geiranger?

That will work. I was specifically looking for Geirangerfjord from the additional cruise-by locations I posted above. The photo of course shows the Seven Sisters Waterfall along Geirangerfjord a few miles to the west of Geiranger itself.

9 minutes ago, sfred said:

With the addition of the two Norway locations, we're up to (I think) 544 total ports.  Norway has  overtaken Greece and Italy for the number 3 ranking of most-seen countries, behind only the US and UK.  The US has the advantage of numerous Alaska ports, which promise to also grow with the additional cruise-by candidates.

Now with the addition of Geirangerfjord, my count is up to 545 total ports (and one more for Norway).

Thanks for that contribution, @Yaldi. I would not have known about that QM2 cruise-by of Hjørundfjord otherwise.

I was looking forward to another post from you since this marks your 50th post and thus earns a place on the honor roll I started for this thread. @Essiesmom, your post earlier today also marks the milestone of your 100th post. Here are the post counts (including this one) for what are now the top fifteen contributors to this remarkable thread.

Contributor             Posts

bluemarble              1006

sfred                           442

Host Hattie                326

exlondoner                278

Colin_Cameron         269

carlmm                       263

Solent Richard           218

Palmeat                      175

Lanky Lad                   103

Essiesmom                100

sogne                            90

Ray66                            87

North West Newbie    58

ExArkie                         56

Yaldi                              50

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sfred said:

There's not a lot in the photo to enable a cruise-by identification, so an early hint:  It was taken on 23 May 2019 and the relatively narrow passageway is not a "leg".

image.thumb.png.b9d02d0e53285b1e3b7164f225ff1b19.png

Yeah, it's hard to make a positive identification from just the photo itself although it's suggestive of the location. The clue about not a "leg" suggests it's an "arm" instead. QE's Alaska itineraries show her calling at Tracy Arm and Juneau on 23 May.

There's one itinerary out there showing QE calling at Trabzon, Turkey and Juneau, Alaska on 23 May 2019. Trabzon is close to Tracy Arm alphabetically which may have led to that goof. I think we can rule out Trabzon for this one. 🙂

I'm going with Tracy Arm, Alaska for this one and Queen Elizabeth for the ship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Yeah, it's hard to make a positive identification from just the photo itself although it's suggestive of the location. The clue about not a "leg" suggests it's an "arm" instead. QE's Alaska itineraries show her calling at Tracy Arm and Juneau on 23 May.

There's one itinerary out there showing QE calling at Trabzon, Turkey and Juneau, Alaska on 23 May 2019. Trabzon is close to Tracy Arm alphabetically which may have led to that goof. I think we can rule out Trabzon for this one. 🙂

I'm going with Tracy Arm, Alaska for this one and Queen Elizabeth for the ship.

Correct!  I thought that the arm/leg reference, plus the itinerary date, would be enough for an ID (and to rule out Trabzon 😄).