Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

While we are wracking our brains about Norway, here is a very old postcard, clearly showing a Cunard sail by, which I gather at the time was a frequent occurrence. It is also a route many of us will have followed on cruises, though not mentioned as a sail by. No points for the ship, by the way.

IMG_1659.thumb.JPG.1c3ac9c1bd6675768ac73f3280fe096b.JPG

I think I found this one. I began by looking at the Isles of Scilly and around Land's End which were only suggestive of this scene. Then the name "Longis" seen in the text on the righthand page sent me to a different location.

The caption on a matching postcard I subsequently found reads 'Arch Bay, Alderney with R.M.S. "Queen Mary".' A further description of the postcard dates it to the early 1960s.

42 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

Merok, Norway? The waterfall appears to be ‘The Suitor’ the more famous mentioned is ‘Seven Sisters’ in Geirangerfjord. Internet searches for Merok seem to tie both Geiranger and Merok together so will go with that as my guess.

Well done identifying the waterfall as the Suitor and the location of my photo as Geirangerfjord.

It looks like you've uncovered a flaw in my unseen ports list though. Merok, Norway made that list by virtue of being listed in several itineraries for RMS Caronia found on the "caronia2.info" website. Upon further review, it does indeed appear that Merok is synonymous with Geiranger. I'll remove Merok from the unseen ports list as a duplicate.

The location I'm looking for starts a similar distance in the other direction from the Suitor and the Seven Sisters waterfalls. Fell free to amend your guess because of that inaccuracy in my unseen ports list.

36 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think I found this one. I began by looking at the Isles of Scilly and around Land's End which were only suggestive of this scene. Then the name "Longis" seen in the text on the righthand page sent me to a different location.

The caption on a matching postcard I subsequently found reads 'Arch Bay, Alderney with R.M.S. "Queen Mary".' A further description of the postcard dates it to the early 1960s.

Very good. It is indeed the delicious and underrated island of Alderney. Apparently, until they moved the shipping lanes, the liners used to pass very close, and the pubs would all post lists of what was passing when. Nowadays, many of us have been on cruises that call at St. Peter Port, and hence pass one side or ther other of the beautiful island.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Well done identifying the waterfall as the Suitor and the location of my photo as Geirangerfjord.

It looks like you've uncovered a flaw in my unseen ports list though. Merok, Norway made that list by virtue of being listed in several itineraries for RMS Caronia found on the "caronia2.info" website. Upon further review, it does indeed appear that Merok is synonymous with Geiranger. I'll remove Merok from the unseen ports list as a duplicate.

The location I'm looking for starts a similar distance in the other direction from the Suitor and the Seven Sisters waterfalls. Fell free to amend your guess because of that inaccuracy in my unseen ports list.

So are we at Sunnylvsfjorden?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

So are we at Sunnylvsfjorden?

Yes indeed, we have arrived at Sunnylvsfjorden, Norway, one of the cruise-by calls often listed on Cunard itineraries with calls at Geiranger.

Those original public domain photos were difficult to find because they aren't in any of the usual places such as Wikimedia Commons. They can be found in the photo archives of the Nasjonalbiblioteket (the National Library of Norway) at "www.nb.no".

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 8:48 PM, bluemarble said:

Thank you for the explanation, I’m pleased I identified the waterfall. 

On 9/12/2021 at 9:05 PM, exlondoner said:

Very good. It is indeed the delicious and underrated island of Alderney. Apparently, until they moved the shipping lanes, the liners used to pass very close, and the pubs would all post lists of what was passing when. Nowadays, many of us have been on cruises that call at St. Peter Port, and hence pass one side or ther other of the beautiful island.

How interesting. Had a couple of holidays in Alderney, it was always warm and sunny but perhaps that’s just a childhood impression. Remember visiting Arch Bay but the classic Cunard liners had retired by then.

Would be a nice alternative to St. Peter Port if it was possible to land there from a large vessel, not that there is anything wrong with Guernsey.

• Like 1

Inspired by @bluemarble's recent 1930s historical Norway photos, here is a 1938 public domain photo of a popular tourist destination on our unseen ports list.  The quality of accommodation has improved over the years, as evidenced by the second photo in more recent times.

I've not been to this exact island, but I've been to adjacent ones in the collective name for this area that is used in current Cunard itineraries, and is already on our "seen" list.

image.png.4367cfe8d2f4ce3887ff4aa60644c604.png

image.thumb.png.54abae847ff556d364f9b2c5189ef1ea.png

13 hours ago, sfred said:

Inspired by @bluemarble's recent 1930s historical Norway photos, here is a 1938 public domain photo of a popular tourist destination on our unseen ports list.  The quality of accommodation has improved over the years, as evidenced by the second photo in more recent times.

I've not been to this exact island, but I've been to adjacent ones in the collective name for this area that is used in current Cunard itineraries, and is already on our "seen" list.

image.png.4367cfe8d2f4ce3887ff4aa60644c604.png

image.thumb.png.54abae847ff556d364f9b2c5189ef1ea.png

This is Hayman Island, Queensland, one of the Whitsundays. It's on our Cunard port list because @Colin_Cameron found a call there by Sea Goddess II.

Picking up on your hint regarding my photos of Sunnylvsfjorden from the National Library of Norway, the first photo is found on the website for the State Library of Queensland (slq.qld.gov.au). It's titled "Beach chalet on Hayman Island, 1938".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This is Hayman Island, Queensland, one of the Whitsundays. It's on our Cunard port list because @Colin_Cameron found a call there by Sea Goddess II.

Picking up on your hint regarding my photos of Sunnylvsfjorden from the National Library of Norway, the first photo is found on the website for the State Library of Queensland (slq.qld.gov.au). It's titled "Beach chalet on Hayman Island, 1938".

Hayman Island is correct, well done.  The beach "chalet" (a rather generous term) looks to have been the best asbestos fibre walled, corrugated iron roofed accommodation available in 1938.  Things have improved considerably since then.  The wife and I did a daytrip to the adjacent Hamilton Island during our stay in Airlie Beach this past Christmas 2020.

Hayman is a rather small island, and these days the Cunard Queens anchor off of Airlie Beach, and offer excursions to the various islands in the Whisunday region.

By my count, Hayman Island is our 100th port in the Southern Hemisphere.  A good milestone for this half of the world.  40 are West longitude, and 60 are East.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1