Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

7 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

I found a copy of Halifax Warden of the North and I'm wondering if the reason it is hard to find the Cunard office location is because they didn't have a continuous operation in Halifax.

That's an interesting thought, @kmerlin14.  If Cunard was in and out of Halifax over the years, then the motivation to have a brand-named building would have been much less. 

3 hours ago, sfred said:

And here's the last newly-found Cunard port photo that was hiding in one of my archive disks.  This is also a port we have not seen before.  My last two contributions should narrow the likely geographic area quite considerably.  Cruise ships dock further up the coast to the north, well out of view of this photo, and passengers take shuttle buses into the town.

image.thumb.png.dcff15b8d87a6cab18490006c9352968.png

Is it Sitka? My photos are all from a different angle and I can't enlarge yours to look for certain details. If it is, I loved wandering around that port.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sfred said:

And here's the last newly-found Cunard port photo that was hiding in one of my archive disks.  This is also a port we have not seen before.  My last two contributions should narrow the likely geographic area quite considerably.  Cruise ships dock further up the coast to the north, well out of view of this photo, and passengers take shuttle buses into the town.

image.thumb.png.dcff15b8d87a6cab18490006c9352968.png

Based on photos that a friend sent me a while back from a non-Cunard Alaska cruise, I'd say Sitka, Alaska, mostly based on the shape of the bridge just left of center.

Haven't been there myself, though. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

Is it Sitka? My photos are all from a different angle and I can't enlarge yours to look for certain details. If it is, I loved wandering around that port.

5 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Based on photos that a friend sent me a while back from a non-Cunard Alaska cruise, I'd say Sitka, Alaska, mostly based on the shape of the bridge just left of center.

It is indeed Sitka.  Well spotted - the photo was taken on QE's maiden call to Sitka, 27 May 2019, from a little ways out of town in the Sitka National Historical Park.  As @ExArkieindicated, the O'Connell bridge in the distance at the left is a good clue.  Also just to the right of the bridge is Baranof Castle at the top of the hill.  We really liked wandering around the town also.  Sitka was part of Russia until 1867 and there are many Orthodox churches and Russian architecture.  The National Park where the photo was taken has lots of totem poles from the local Tlingit people, and it made for a nice walk to stretch our legs.

• Like 1

The visible clues of palm trees and a beach, with a cruise pier slightly offshore, suggest a Caribbean location.  But I can't identify a match to any of the islands I think QE has been to.  Another rabbit hole for me, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfred said:

The visible clues of palm trees and a beach, with a cruise pier slightly offshore, suggest a Caribbean location.  But I can't identify a match to any of the islands I think QE has been to.  Another rabbit hole for me, I'm afraid.

She did spend some time in Australia. Could it be a port from there? I don't have a lot of cruise port experience so it's hard for me to play. But this picture doesn't seem as commercialized as the only  Caribbean ports that I've been to. I have another port photo that I'm waiting to put up when this one has been solved.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kmerlin14 said:

She did spend some time in Australia. Could it be a port from there?

I don't think so...  I don't recognise any local Aussie ports that match.  Of course I could be very embarassed if it turns out otherwise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sfred said:

Good work in excluding a region: It is not a Caribbean port.

9 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

She did spend some time in Australia. Could it be a port from there? I don't have a lot of cruise port experience so it's hard for me to play. But this picture doesn't seem as commercialized as the only  Caribbean ports that I've been to. 

Yet, it is not in Australia, either.

More to see:

Quest N 5a (2).JPG

4 hours ago, carlmm said:

Good work in excluding a region: It is not a Caribbean port.

Yet, it is not in Australia, either.

More to see:

Quest N 5a (2).JPG

Ah, yes. Not a Caribbean port, but to the west of the Caribbean after a transit of the Panama Canal. QV has visited this Pacific coast port on several occasions, but it looks like QE has only called here once, in February 2013.

I think this is Manzanillo, Mexico.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Ah, yes. Not a Caribbean port, but to the west of the Caribbean after a transit of the Panama Canal. QV has visited this Pacific coast port on several occasions, but it looks like QE has only called here once, in February 2013.

I think this is Manzanillo, Mexico.

Perfectly correct!

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

P.S. I just noticed the elephant in your latest photo. I'm not seeing an elephant in other similar online photos of the Manzanillo port area. Was that possibly an added attraction for your visit, @carlmm🙂

Yes, they wanted to present some of the local fauna 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sfred said:

From the faint view of a ship and pier in the first photo, I'll take a wild guess and say Icy Straight Point, AK?  This might be the forest adjacent to the tourist village at Cannery Point.

I think that's Icy Strait Point as well. What sealed to deal for me was seeing that platform with the four legs showing alongside the ship between the trees toward the right of the photo. Along with the forest so close to the shoreline, that's a rather unique feature I found in photos of the Icy Strait Point pier.

I almost posted earlier "Okay, this is Alaska", but no hint was really necessary. 😉

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Yes

48 minutes ago, bluemarble said:
3 minutes ago, sfred said:

I think that's Icy Strait Point as well. What sealed to deal for me was seeing that platform with the four legs showing alongside the ship between the trees toward the right of the photo. Along with the forest so close to the shoreline, that's a rather unique feature I found in photos of the Icy Strait Point pier.

and bluemarblesaid

I almost posted earlier "Okay, this is Alaska", but no hint was really necessary. 😉

You are both right. I was pretty sure you would have figured out it was Alaska, so I didn't give a hint. And bluemarble saw things in the photo that I didn't even know were there.  Did you go on the little trail sfred? It wasn't very long (about 5 minutes), but it was so lovely in there. It looked like they were trying to expand it, so hopefully they have done so. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kmerlin14 said:

Yes

You are both right. I was pretty sure you would have figured out it was Alaska, so I didn't give a hint. And bluemarble saw things in the photo that I didn't even know were there.  Did you go on the little trail sfred? It wasn't very long (about 5 minutes), but it was so lovely in there. It looked like they were trying to expand it, so hopefully they have done so. 

I did, and you are correct it was very enjoyable.  I started the day by walking to the nearby town of Hoonah, but our Icy Straight Point call was on 26 May 2019, a Sunday, and everything in Hoonah was closed.  Returning to the Cannery Point village, I wandered the area and found the forest trail where you took the photos.

Earlier today, I did a cross-reference between @bluemarble's text file containing the full list of ports which we have seen on this thread, and my itineraries of Cunard voyages the wife and I have been on.

I identified four ports that we have not yet seen, that I have some photos of.  I never posted them before, because I thought two of them were a little too easy to identify, and two of them were too hard.  But I've since learned that there is almost no photo that is too hard for the experts in this forum.  And while the easy ones are still easy, at least they will add to our Cunard port list.  Perhaps also someone else has some better photos of these ports than I do.

Let's get the two easy ones out of the way.  The first one should be identifiable with a google search.  The second one does have a Cunard ship in the photo, but she is hiding behind some of the buildings.  (Neither port is in Alaska 🙂).

First port:

image.thumb.png.95817dfcd71271200071c10463b1c39c.png

And second port:

image.thumb.png.5e05b9f6c55f567b7d5d7215ad9ece54.png

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

OK. So the first one is Busselton. I had guessed Fremantle so I wasn't too far out.

Correct!  Photo taken 13 February 2018, during QM2's call.  The wife and I were on a Perth to Sydney domestic voyage, and we called at Busselton the morning after departing Fremantle.  QM2 anchored a kilometer or so offshore, and the tenders dropped us off near the Roy Morris Platform on the Busselton Jetty. 

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I will guess Rio de Janeiro for the second one, mostly based on my memory of what the airport (at the right center of photo) looked like on approach.

Obviously, I did not visit there on Cunard...

Very good. I had been struggling to identify that second one. Was way off looking in the wrong part of the world I'm afraid. I now see it's showing the view from Sugarloaf Mountain (Pão de Açúcar).

• Like 1