Iceland airport on disembarking day

We are booked on the Star 6/27/21 to fly home from Reykjavik.

I’ve begun looking at airfare, which is sparse, I’m sure due to the big freeze. Question to those who have flown from there. Sis it a mad house? Or do a fair number of folks stay on a few days more (as we will have already had three full days and an overnight in Iceland, I’m thinking most will have seen most of all there is to see. I usually plan airfare very early but have been hesitant to with the iffy situation on cruising.

Any input on the air situation will be welcomed.

Happy day,

MB

80 past cruises

Upcoming:

NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021 Western Caribbean

CCL Dream 5/16/2021 Western Caribbean

NCL Star 6/27/2021 - Scotland, Norway & Iceland

CCL Dream 10/23/2021 - Eastern Caribbean

21 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Or do a fair number of folks stay on a few days more (as we will have already had three full days and an overnight in Iceland, I’m thinking most will have seen most of all there is to see.

Three full days where?  What will you be seeing?  You need two full days just to do the South Coast and the Golden Circle from Reykjavik, and that's not even touching any other part of the country. 

Also, questions specific to Iceland are best asked in the Northern Europe forum, here: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

Edited by Turtles06

I haven't flown after a cruise but I've been through KEF a few times and found it extremely well organized. Most flights come in from North America, re organize and fly on to their EU destinations and vice versa, often with tight timelines (like an hour). It's compact but they get a lot of people through it.

(I do agree with pp that there's more than a few days worth of stuff to do, though. I've spent about a month there over two trips and we'd like to go back sooner than later. Have a great trip, it's gorgeous!).

Iceland is an amazing place, spend a few days there preferably with a hire jeep but there are plenty of tours if you don't like to drive overseas, there is so much to see away from Reykjavik, I had an amazing land based holiday there.

Three full days where?  What will you be seeing?  You need two full days just to do the South Coast and the Golden Circle from Reykjavik, and that's not even touching any other part of the country. 

Also, questions specific to Iceland are best asked in the Northern Europe forum, here: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

Full day in Isafjord and Akureyri, then a full day, overnight and disembark in Reykjavic. Thank you for the reminder on the other forum.

80 past cruises
Upcoming:

Full day in Isafjord and Akureyri, then a full day, overnight and disembark in Reykjavic. Thank you for the reminder on the other forum.

You are not planning on long enough. You will barely see anything. You need to do the Golden Circle, South Coast and Snæfellsnes Peninsula from Reykjavik. Three to six more days.

I have only flown into KEF then onto to Copenhagen. researched a lot, due to close flight connections times last October.  We landed around 6am, airport empty, ended up having a two hour connection, as time went by, the airport filled up, very limited seating at the gates.  so I would suggest get an early flight out.  and have a great time!

It was a pretty busy airport two years ago but with the international collapse of tourism all that will be changed. They do encourage people to stay a few days more. Those who connect at KEF to and from Europe on Icelandair can stay a few days or a week in Iceland without paying any difference on their flights.

Since Blue Lagoon is near the airport many schedule an afternoon flight and do Blue Lagoon in the morning. There is luggage storage at Blue Lagoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I would consider staying as least an extra day or so in Reykjavik, so you can at least do the Gold Circle Tour and the South Coast Tour.  The latter is a long day, but fabulous.  Stunning scenery everywhere you look.  While the Golden Circle is better known, we enjoyed seeing the South Coast more. 

Have a great time, whatever you decide!

We have been to Iceland several times - some times as a stopover (1-2 hours) to change planes between US and UK, and about 4 times as several days stopover. Once I went to Iceland solo in 1983 for a couple of weeks and toured the country.

We as family (myself, DH and DS) love Iceland so much that we'd go back when we have the chance. We are booked on the July 2022 roundtrip out of Reykjavik to Greenland/Iceland, and our plan is to fly to Reykjavik, hire a jeep and tour around the south and west and stay in hotels before returning to Reykjavik to meet the ship. We have previously done the Golden Circle twice - by car by ourselves, and I'm not sure if our DS wants to do it 3rd time in 2022. We LOVE driving in Iceland, as well as Icelandic cuisine!!

So, OP, please do yourselves a favour, stay in Iceland a few days post-cruise. If you can drive, no need to stay in Reykjavik the whole time. Do NOT miss Blue Lagoon!

Our cruise will also stop in Akureyri and Isafjord - I have been to both but DH and DS haven't - I have plan to hire a car for the 3 of us to tour while in Akureyri (it's a long port day).

As for Keflavik airport, remember it's 45-60 mins outside Reykjavik (but 15 mins from Blue Lagoon). It's quite a big airport and it's very busy early morning and mid afternoon but don't worry about it.

Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately, staying over is not an option, as this is the end of a 14 day trip. We are deciding between the Golden Circle and the South Coast tours, and pretty well decided on the Dynjandi Waterfall tour in Isafjordur, and the Lake Myvatin Tour in Akureyri.

We have always used our cruises as samplers of places we wish to return to for extended land trips, so I’m not too worried about trying to get it all in this time, there will be another time.

Happy day,
MB

80 past cruises
Upcoming:

There will be a LOT of people trying to leave debark day,   so,  you need to be conservative on your time.   You can not count on being number 1 off the ship and as already noted the airport is a distance away.   Then add in any delays with customs/immigration.    

We have never done a debark in Reykjavik but have boarded a flight after a visit when travelling from Vancouver to London and have also changed planes there on a similar trip.

On both occasions we found Keflavik hectic as, at that time Iceland Air was a cheap way of getting from North America to Europe, there were a very large number of flights and people all the 3 hour period.

I can only imagine what it will be like a full ship of debarkers and embarkers passing through the airport the same day.

Gee, we spent seven days pretty much stopping at different ports while almost making a circle around Iceland.

We saw many wonderful sites, but clearly there is more to see. I was looking at pictures last night of different sites we didn't visit.  Iceland is unique,  and we are ready to return.

You have a good opportunity to see more beautiful  and interesting sites using local guides.  

@MagnoliaBlossom

Some thoughts of tours in Akureyri and Reykjavik that we did in 2017.

From Akureyri we did the following as a Princess ship tour and really enjoyed the whole day.

Board your motorcoach at the pier and drive through town, taking the coastal road and traveling through the fertile farmland of the Fnjoskadalur Valley en route to Namaskard and Dimmuborgir, with views of rugged, volcanic landscape and dramatic lava formations. Upon arrival at Namaskard, witness boiling hot mud pools that let out a steady roar and dense vapors, cloaking the hot sulfur pits at one of the most active volcanic areas on Iceland.

At Dimmuborgir, which means "twilight castles," see weirdly shaped lava formations that were left exposed in the bed as this former lava lake cooled and receded. Next, we'll head to Skutustadir where large craters situated on the southern shore of Lake Myvatn are called pseudo or rootless craters. They were formed when lava overflowed the lakeshore's sodden ground.

Take a photo opportunity and then it's off to lunch where you'll enjoy a sit-down meal at a local restaurant.

Afterwards, you'll re-board the motorcoach and continue to Godafoss Waterfall. In the year 1000 the Lawspeaker Thorgeir Thorkelsson made Christianity the official religion of Iceland. After his conversion Thorgeir threw his statues of the Norse gods into the waterfall.

We'll return to Akureyri for a brief tour of the town, stopping along a scenic coastal road at a vantage point, if time allows, near the fjord for a panoramic view of the town and its harbor before heading back to the ship.

In Reykjavik we also did a tour that wasn't as good except for one part (Stokkseyri & Lobster Feast).  If you like seafood then I would recommend the following, it was the best part of the tour.

You'll continue on to Stokkseyri, a coastal town famous for its black sandy beach and museum dedicated to Iceland's ghosts, elves and trolls. Stokkseyri was settled around 900 A.D. by the Viking explorer Hásteinn Atlason and has had a long history as a fishing and trading village.

Once you arrive, you'll disembark at a local restaurant that specializes in Icelandic langostine (small lobster) plucked fresh from the ocean. (There is nothing more Icelandic than a seafood restaurant in a typical fishing village.) Sit down and enjoy a scrumptious feast of Icelandic langostine (small lobster), cucumbers, salad, couscous, and grilled potatoes.

In Reykjavik, on a previous visit (we did a stopover travelling from Vancouver to London) we did the triple tour.  Look at https://www.viator.com/tours/Reykjavik/Golden-Circle-Classic-Day-Trip-from-Reykjavik/d905-2970AH12   A nice day out.   There are more expensive ones with Viator too.   

On 8/24/2020 at 10:57 AM, bluesea777 said:

We have been to Iceland several times - some times as a stopover (1-2 hours) to change planes between US and UK, and about 4 times as several days stopover. Once I went to Iceland solo in 1983 for a couple of weeks and toured the country.

We as family (myself, DH and DS) love Iceland so much that we'd go back when we have the chance. We are booked on the July 2022 roundtrip out of Reykjavik to Greenland/Iceland, and our plan is to fly to Reykjavik, hire a jeep and tour around the south and west and stay in hotels before returning to Reykjavik to meet the ship. We have previously done the Golden Circle twice - by car by ourselves, and I'm not sure if our DS wants to do it 3rd time in 2022. We LOVE driving in Iceland, as well as Icelandic cuisine!!

So, OP, please do yourselves a favour, stay in Iceland a few days post-cruise. If you can drive, no need to stay in Reykjavik the whole time. Do NOT miss Blue Lagoon!

Our cruise will also stop in Akureyri and Isafjord - I have been to both but DH and DS haven't - I have plan to hire a car for the 3 of us to tour while in Akureyri (it's a long port day).

As for Keflavik airport, remember it's 45-60 mins outside Reykjavik (but 15 mins from Blue Lagoon). It's quite a big airport and it's very busy early morning and mid afternoon but don't worry about it.

Akureyri is a long port day! We sailed the Jade there in 2017. The airport is a 10 minute ride from the port. We booked a flight to Grimsey Island, it is a 20 minute flight. Grimsey Island has a population of approx. 200 people and 2+ million birds! The Arctic Circle passes through the island (actually right through the airport runway). We arranged a tour of the island with the airport manager/gate agent who is also the island banker. lol.   Beautiful VERY unique excursion!! We found the information on Trip Advisor! If you are a little adventurous, it is breathtaking!

431E8359-C67C-4D2B-9841-608683FE613D.jpeg

A4E2CA87-7D81-438E-B280-4592CA11BD79.jpeg

59D399BF-4697-4ADB-ADDB-0A10ED77D8E2.jpeg

272FB389-C2FF-44E5-92CF-3D467D48A55F.jpeg

B5C43DC3-A39C-4B3A-ADF9-C8184FB521E2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

UNCLE!!! Okay, we’re staying on extra days- prior plans thrown to the wind. Thank you all for your above and beyond the call of duty information and photos ( oh those photos!)

Now, since I’ve become a blatant information beggar - what hotel do you recommend in Rey? Since all the tours are long, I’m thinking a place with its own restaurant and one near pick up spots for the tour busses. After long days of touring' we‘ll be ready for an adult beverage and a bite to eat before crashing.

Thanks,

MB

80 past cruises

Upcoming:

3 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

UNCLE!!! Okay, we’re staying on extra days- prior plans thrown to the wind. Thank you all for your above and beyond the call of duty information and photos ( oh those photos!)

Now, since I’ve become a blatant information beggar - what hotel do you recommend in Rey? Since all the tours are long, I’m thinking a place with its own restaurant and one near pick up spots for the tour busses. After long days of touring' we‘ll be ready for an adult beverage and a bite to eat before crashing.

Thanks,

MB

80 past cruises

Upcoming:

Hotels are where you budget will have to stretch.  Anything comfortable, and you are looking $500+ a room per night at least in the tourist areas.  These hotels have to earn their whole year worth of overhead in just a few months...

Hotels are where you budget will have to stretch.  Anything comfortable, and you are looking $500+ a room per night at least in the tourist areas.  These hotels have to earn their whole year worth of overhead in just a few months...

We spent $330 a night at Fosshotel Reykjavík in August 2018 which is a very good hotel in a good location. A breakfast buffet was included in our rate. There was a restaurant in the hotel, a beer garden, and plenty of restaurants nearby including a food hall. Rates for good hotels may have dropped as there are a lot of hotels and tourism has dropped.

6 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Now, since I’ve become a blatant information beggar - what hotel do you recommend in Rey? Since all the tours are long, I’m thinking a place with its own restaurant and one near pick up spots for the tour busses.

We have stayed in Hilton Nordica twice (and had it booked for october, but had to cancel because of the virus..)
It is a great hotel with spacious rooms in a nice style. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all good. All the tour buses stop at this hotel. It also is at walking distance from the city centre. Staff was very kind.

There also is a small counter were you can book your tours.
Enjoy Iceland!

IMG_7403.JPG

22 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Thanks,

MB

80 past cruises

Upcoming:

How many days?   You'll have a larger selection,  if you drive yourself.    Extremely easy and if only staying a few days,  makes far more efficient use of your short time.    Too much wasted time in my opinion  going on "tours",  that are fixed in time and locations.    

How many days?   You'll have a larger selection,  if you drive yourself.    Extremely easy and if only staying a few days,  makes far more efficient use of your short time.    Too much wasted time in my opinion  going on "tours",  that are fixed in time and locations.    

I enjoyed my tours on minibuses ( don’t do large buses pay a little more and do tours in small vehicles ) in Iceland because I didn’t have to drive and find locations and because the guides were great. They were a wealth of information about Iceland and about the locations and the local culture that we would not have gotten if we had rented a vehicle. I recommend doing small group tours on a first visit to Iceland.

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I enjoyed my tours on minibuses ( don’t do large buses pay a little more and do tours in small vehicles ) in Iceland because I didn’t have to drive and find locations and because the guides were great. They were a wealth of information about Iceland and about the locations and the local culture that we would not have gotten if we had rented a vehicle. I recommend doing small group tours on a first visit to Iceland.

We took minibus tours on our port days in Iceland, and had mostly excellent experiences.  Terrific guides, and the minibus groups were small enough to move around efficiently.   

We have changed our air reservations and booked a hotel - surprising how many are already sold out. But CCers and Gateway To Iceland tours both recommended overlapping hotels and we went with that one. We’ve chosen three tours for Rey., small bus on each one. While I don’t mind going self guided tours, this is a place where we want to have the benefit of a guides information and be able to focus on the landscape rather than the road.

Thanks for your help,a my friends.
Georgia

80 past cruises
Upcoming:

I can't wait to get to Iceland! I am going on the Star in 2022. Doing a 32 day voyage. Starting in Reykjavik, hitting Greenland, other ports in Iceland multiple times, rounding the UK, and hitting Norway before returning to Reykjavik. My dates are 7/25/22. 8/4/22 and 8/14/22. 

Reading through all the suggestions above is making me very excited to go! Keep them coming! 

Robbie