Jump to content

Former NCL Sunward and Westward retired


Recommended Posts

Fred Olsen announced Friday that Boudicca former Royal Viking Sky/NCL Sunward and Black Watch former Royal Viking Star/NCL Westward are going to be retired. Sunward with NCL was my first cruise. I can only think back with fondness when NCL was owned by Knut Kloster and the ships actually had a Norwegian influence. It is just in name only now. No more Viking nights in the MDR or Norwegian beer available onboard. These ships are almost 50 years old now and will outlast most of the newer builds today.  I am glad I was able to sail one of these ships in the 90's along with the SS France/Norway who Knut Kloster saved and preserved. 

Edited by coaster
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coaster said:

Fred Olsen announced Friday that Boudicca former Royal Viking Sky/NCL Sunward and Black Watch former Royal Viking Star/NCL Westward are going to be retired. Sunward with NCL was my first cruise.

 

Thanks for the info. Sunward was also my first cruise out of Miami to the Bahamas. If my memory is correct, it was 44 years ago - 1976, when I was 16 years old.

 

Went with my mom and I have a picture of her heading in the wrong direction to the wrong lifeboat station during the muster drill, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

 

Thanks for the info. Sunward was also my first cruise out of Miami to the Bahamas. If my memory is correct, it was 44 years ago - 1976, when I was 16 years old.

 

Went with my mom and I have a picture of her heading in the wrong direction to the wrong lifeboat station during the muster drill, lol.

 

There were actually three Sunwards. Sunward, Sunward II, and Sunward. The Sunward you sailed was the original built in 1966 and sailed with NCL until 1972. It was scrapped in 2004.  Confusing I know.... This old post might help clarify.

 

 

Edited by coaster
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, coaster said:

 

There were actually three Sunwards. Sunward, Sunward II, and Sunward. The Sunward you sailed was the original built in 1966 and sailed with NCL until 1972. It was scrapped in 2004.

 

Indeed, this shows the history.

image.thumb.png.1ab515aeab4b3d5133510af86a033b1e.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, coaster said:

 

There were actually three Sunwards. Sunward, Sunward II, and Sunward. The Sunward you sailed was the original built in 1966 and sailed with NCL until 1972. It was scrapped in 2004.  Confusing I know.... This old post might help clarify.

 

 

 

Thanks for posting that old thread - it was very informative. I had to read Dougnewmanatsea's post multiple times to completely capture all the info he provided. From the info provided and the photo above (plus the recent post from ziggyuk w/a table & photos), I must've been on the Sunward II and instead of 1976, it must of been 1977 when I was 17 years old. Doug informed that the Sunward II was sold to NCL in 1977. Additionally, per Doug's post, the original Sunward sailed for NCL until 1972 and still carried cars and trailers, as well as cruise passengers. I was only 12 yrs old at the time and in the picture I have, I was definitely older than 12. Also, I definitely do not remember any cars and trailers being carried. Another reason I'm pretty sure it was the Sunward II was from the photo above - I distinctly remember the double stacks and the big sun painted on her sides (midships).

 

Anyway, thanks for this great post and helping me "stroll down memory lane" and my first cruise. I didn't realize that there were 2 Sunwards and 1 Sunward II. Thanks again!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GA Dave said:

 

Thanks for the further info with the link GA Dave. I think there is a mistake in the article though - it looks like the photo for the original Sunward is actually of the Sunward II. If you look closely at the name on the bow, you can see Sunward II. Also, the twin stacks and the sun painted on the side(s) are a dead giveaway.

 

Yeah, I'm more and more sure that my first ever cruise was on the Sunward II out of Miami to the Bahamas (probably in 1977).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2020 at 4:28 PM, coaster said:

...No more Viking nights in the MDR or Norwegian beer available onboard...

Ah yes! Still have, somewhere, the cardboard horned Viking helmet given out on Viking night. Also used to enjoy a Rignes or three. Skal!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

Ah yes! Still have, somewhere, the cardboard horned Viking helmet given out on Viking night. Also used to enjoy a Rignes or three. Skal!

 

Viking helmet filled with something I don't recall and would down the shot when the Captain did after a speech in the MDR. Ringnes beer it was! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, coaster said:

 

Viking helmet filled with something I don't recall and would down the shot when the Captain did after a speech in the MDR. Ringnes beer it was! 

The drink provided was Norwegian Akvavit or Aquavit. Nice touch! Skal!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

The drink provided was Norwegian Akvavit or Aquavit. Nice touch! Skal!

 

Good to know! In -stock when I just checked online at my favorite liquor store down the road. It is listed as Aquavit. Will pick some up on my next visit. Skal!

Edited by coaster
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coaster said:

 

Good to know! In -stock when I just checked online at my favorite liquor store down the road. It is listed as Aquavit. Will pick some up on my next visit. Skal!

Excellent! Wish we were closer so we could join you for a toast. Enjoy! CV...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where can one find the old itineraries of these ships? I went on the Windward for my Honeymoon in April of ‘95...but I can’t find any historical NCL itineraries from this time. We stopped in Domenica, which they don’t even visit anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kismet618 said:

Where can one find the old itineraries of these ships? I went on the Windward for my Honeymoon in April of ‘95...but I can’t find any historical NCL itineraries from this time. We stopped in Domenica, which they don’t even visit anymore. Any help would be appreciated. 

 

Cruise Travel magazine used to publish ship itineraries on a regular basis. Unfortunately, they just went out of business. My last issue was March/April. They have an archive, but you have to pay to get access.

Edited by coaster
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kismet618 said:

Where can one find the old itineraries of these ships? I went on the Windward for my Honeymoon in April of ‘95...but I can’t find any historical NCL itineraries from this time. We stopped in Domenica, which they don’t even visit anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ask Ernie.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite as old as some of the ships we have been talking about in this thread, but here are a few pictures of the Norwegian Sky from my very first cruise back in 2002.  NYC-Nassau-a very young Great Styrup Caye-NYC.

 

IM002448.JPG

IM002465.JPG

IM002487.JPG

IM002518.JPG

IM002524.JPG

IM002533.JPG

IM002546.JPG

IM002573.JPG

IM002577.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Not quite as old as some of the ships we have been talking about in this thread, but here are a few pictures of the Norwegian Sky from my very first cruise back in 2002.  NYC-Nassau-a very young Great Styrup Caye-NYC.

 

IM002448.JPG

IM002465.JPG

IM002487.JPG

IM002518.JPG

IM002524.JPG

IM002533.JPG

IM002546.JPG

IM002573.JPG

IM002577.JPG

 

GA Dave - the 2nd picture from the top is the Norwegian Sea vice the Norwegian Sky??

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

 

 

Thanks for posting this video update. Sad to see Carnival scrapping another Fantasy class ship. I guess there are 3 now....Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Inspiration and now the Carnival Imagination.

 

I cruised on another sister ship, the Carnival Ecstasy in 1991 out of Miami, when she was a brand new ship. I remember that at the time, she was one of newest and biggest cruise ships in the Carnival fleet.

 

Much later (I can't remember what year), I cruised on her again out of Galveston on a short 5 day cruise. Time surely flies, as Carnival at that time had relegated her to the shorter 4/5 day cruises out of an outlying port other than Miami. In contrast to 1991, she was now one of the older, smaller cruise ships in the Carnival fleet.

 

Also, it was interesting to note that due to the evolved popularity of balcony cabins over the years, Carnival retrofitted balconies at the aft end of the Carnival Ecstasy. I believe Carnival did that to a couple of other Fantasy class ships. As originally built, the Fantasy class ships had/have few balconies (mainly for the suites). I guess "tacking on" balconies to a few of the Fantasy class ships was the way Carnival responded to the increased demand for balcony cabins and it was less expensive than building new ships.

 

Anyway, RIP Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Inspiration and Carnival Imagination. P.S. I read where the Fantasy class ships were/are less than 1/2 the size of the newly being built Mardi Gras. Times sure have changed...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, farmersfight said:

 

Thanks for posting this video update. Sad to see Carnival scrapping another Fantasy class ship. I guess there are 3 now....Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Inspiration and now the Carnival Imagination.

 

I cruised on another sister ship, the Carnival Ecstasy in 1991 out of Miami, when she was a brand new ship. I remember that at the time, she was one of newest and biggest cruise ships in the Carnival fleet.

 

Much later (I can't remember what year), I cruised on her again out of Galveston on a short 5 day cruise. Time surely flies, as Carnival at that time had relegated her to the shorter 4/5 day cruises out of an outlying port other than Miami. In contrast to 1991, she was now one of the older, smaller cruise ships in the Carnival fleet.

 

Also, it was interesting to note that due to the evolved popularity of balcony cabins over the years, Carnival retrofitted balconies at the aft end of the Carnival Ecstasy. I believe Carnival did that to a couple of other Fantasy class ships. As originally built, the Fantasy class ships had/have few balconies (mainly for the suites). I guess "tacking on" balconies to a few of the Fantasy class ships was the way Carnival responded to the increased demand for balcony cabins and it was less expensive than building new ships.

 

Anyway, RIP Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Inspiration and Carnival Imagination. P.S. I read where the Fantasy class ships were/are less than 1/2 the size of the newly being built Mardi Gras. Times sure have changed...

I wasn't sure if the video was correct or not. "Tyler" makes some good videos

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...