Picture from the first ship you ever sailed on

Germancruiser

Carnival Fascination - May 1996 Eastern Caribbean. I think this was one of the last main line cruises with Caracas, Venezuela as a port stop since one of the ship's excursions was held up by machine gun and robbed.

image.jpeg.2d2e0685c7fb0260b3daaf910544f3ea.jpeg

• Like 1

My first cruise age 12 was on the Costa Flavia out of Miami, 1966.

36F3FC90-7308-48F5-A1EB-11056EC3A9A8.jpeg

My second cruise was on the TS Hamburg on the maiden Transatlantic from NYC to Hamburg, 1969.

A8652F19-AFB6-46EB-8826-312A3B92B79B.jpeg

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 2

The Photo from our first cruise. Departing on Explorer of the Seas, we were with a party of 350 odd construction workers. We were invited along by a Plumber friend. 

PB082339.jpeg

Edited by Redrobo
  • Like 1

Sure wish I knew how to post pictures on here!

With that said, DH and I went on our first cruise out of Miami in 1983 on the SS Norway.  What a ship!  I coached youth basketball, and 30 of us basketball coaches and spouses decided to all go on a cruise together.  We were all in our 30's and left our kids home with their grandparents.  We all were booked in an inside cabin, and boy, were those cabins tiny!!  What a memorable time we all had.  Great time with great friends!!

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 11:36 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

SS Emerald Seas. Spring 1983

Emerald-Seas-Eastern-Cruise-Line.jpg

Our honeymoon on this in 1976 right after hurricane and Nassau area filming of Bond underwater Thunderball.  As impoverished students had cheap inside with bunkbeds.  I remember the dining room curtains swaying and repetitive PA calls for ships Dr, nurse to visit cabin __  from ship corkscrewing thru the rollers.

Learned later this ship was built as troopship but WWII ended.  USS President Roosevelt.  Certainly not a 'resort at sea'    HAPPY CRUISING

• Like 3

On 8/24/2020 at 2:32 PM, phoenix_dream said:

First and worst cruise ever - Carnival Carnivale.  Our honeymoon cruise.  Weather and seas were horrible.  I was seasick almost the entire time.  Swore I would never cruise again!  DH convinced me otherwise, and here I am with 60+ cruises under my belt; 50 of those on Celebrity and hoping for many more!

35962402-E239-4C6B-80F8-9D8761C4120A.jpeg

We also Honeymooned on the Carnival Carnivale, March 25, 1979. My DW got very seasick, when they took all the honeymooners up to the bridge, to take a picture, holding the large, wooden, steering wheel. But we loved it, and I foolishly booked the same ship for our second cruise on our 10th Anniversary. Imagine our surprise when we pulled up to the port, with the little 25,000 ton, Carnivale ship, dwarfed by the much larger ships, (The Oasis of the Seas is over 250,000 tons).

Here is a picture of all of the honeymooners...

Honeymoon Cruisers Carnivale March 1979 2.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Sure wish I knew how to post pictures on here!

With that said, DH and I went on our first cruise out of Miami in 1983 on the SS Norway.  What a ship!  I coached youth basketball, and 30 of us basketball coaches and spouses decided to all go on a cruise together.  We were all in our 30's and left our kids home with their grandparents.  We all were booked in an inside cabin, and boy, were those cabins tiny!!  What a memorable time we all had.  Great time with great friends!!

We sailed on the Norway too. Yes, the cabins were really small!

It reminded us of this:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

SS Monterey 1971, shortly after being sold by Matson Lines to Far East Pacific Lines.  Moving from Hawaii (we were there pre-statehood) back to the US "Mainland".  Cruise was from  Honolulu to Los Angeles (which was smog city at the time).  After the cruise, hit a small town called Las Vegas and saw Elvis Presley at Caesar's Palace.  Now that was entertainment!  That was the summer before my senior year in high school.  Moved to Fairfax, Virginia for Dad's assignment at the Pentagon.

SS Monterey 1970.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Texed said:

Wow!  That is really neat being able to cruise as a child.  But, we were so poor when I was a kid, if they were selling cruise ships for $1.50, all I could have done was run down the dock hollering. "Ain't that cheap?"  😎

Ed, the United States Navy was transporting us hither, thither, and yon at taxpayer expense.  My dad was in the service.  Went to Cuba, Puerto Rico, Germany, and took a Mediterranean cruise while in Germany.  That one was on a space available basis.  All we had to do was pay $1.25/pp/pd for food on that one.  Obviously, a while ago.

• Like 2

Happy Cruises I would love to hear you great stories about " your" ships- or the time your dad spent in service. Metting  Point: Martini Bar- no better Al Bacio - Martini Bar is to loud sometimes. Ship- well- we have to figure that out. When? Only time will tell. LOL!

First cruise courtesy of US Navy. 1965.  3 months.  Hawaii to places in Micronesia I would like to forget.  My "cabin" had 2 bunks for 4 of us.  The air conditioning was simply outside air.  Best to imagine a half a standard inside cabin with the facilities down the hall.

The Taussig was launched in 1943.  Transferred to Taiwan in 2004.  Was supposed to become a museum.   Presume scrapped by Taiwan.

image.png.cae91b0fb9be2f7b048ad515992a8d87.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Ed, the United States Navy was transporting us hither, thither, and yon at taxpayer expense.  My dad was in the service.  Went to Cuba, Puerto Rico, Germany, and took a Mediterranean cruise while in Germany.  That one was on a space available basis.  All we had to do was pay $1.25/pp/pd for food on that one.  Obviously, a while ago.

Nice that you could see so many different places at a young age.  😊

• Like 1

"fsdorado" posted a 1985 photo of Sitmar's Fairsky. Wow ... memories! Way back in 1976, I actually worked on the original Fairsky, the cruiseliner built from a converted 1941 C Class freighter. I was employed as a Sydney, Australia based "stewardess" (doing everything from serving drinks to polishing brass), working cruises to the South Seas and New Zealand. At the time, she was state-of-the-art, and was considered to be one of the first ships to popularize cruising for the mass market.

I remember that the split shifts were brutal. I shared a tiny cabin with 7 other girls. (Seniority got you into the cabin for 4!) The bathroom and showers were at the end of the passageway. Crew bars and gyms and lounges and amenities enjoyed by crew members today? Nope, none of that.

Still, we all managed to disembark now and again; I realize today, how very fortunate I was to have visited those beautiful remote South Seas islands!

The Fairsky would certainly be an old bucket by today's standards. Entertainment and amenities were rudimentary at best. Nevertheless, the Aussie passengers loved the ship and the cruise experience, especially those 25 cent beers! Whenever I've been on a ship since, and enjoying the privilege of sipping a glass of wine in the Elite or Diamond Lounge,  I'm reminded of how far we've come.  Can't wait to get back!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, greydog said:

Our honeymoon on this in 1976 right after hurricane and Nassau area filming of Bond underwater Thunderball.  As impoverished students had cheap inside with bunkbeds.  I remember the dining room curtains swaying and repetitive PA calls for ships Dr, nurse to visit cabin __  from ship corkscrewing thru the rollers.

Learned later this ship was built as troopship but WWII ended.  USS President Roosevelt.  Certainly not a 'resort at sea'    HAPPY CRUISING

Yeah, we were in a cabin with a tiny porthole with an upper and lower berth on each side of the cabin (tiny by today's standards). We only had one really rough night - but we were all fine. Our tablemates - at least the mother and daughter - didn't make an appearance that night or the next morning.

The two things I remember most (besides the worst sunburn I'd had to that point when we were at Paradise Island (before Atlantis) and I stayed in the water so much):

1 - Our only image of cruising was from the Love Boat, so the pool being a tiny square with the water well below the rim AND only being allowed to enter it when the ship was docked was shocking to us.

2 - The first night we got cleaned up from flying in (yes, we were that naive we flew in the day-of - my parents remember a harrowing taxi ride from MIA to the port, my sister and I were in the rear facing seat (it was a station wagon) and changed for the Captain's Reception and Dinner. Well, we had all put our dirty stuff away but my dad left his socks on the bed. When we got back, three beds were turned down, but my dad's was not touched. He apologized profusely to our cabin steward the next morning. We still rib him about it whenever we're on a cruise. "Don't leave your dirty socks on the bed!!!"

• Like 1

Our first cruise was on the Wind Star, a one week cruise in the Caribbean in 1993. It got us hooked. Our TA had tried for a while to get us to try cruising but we had concerns about dress code,  set dining and how tipping worked.  Wind Star cruises addressed all that, even then their dress code was casual elegant, it was open dining and the cruise fare included tips. We have  done 4 cruises with them, and a lot more on Celebrity.

1598459301604-506761ae-8c01-4b9b-acec-f978ee357c83.jpg

• Like 2

My first sailing was on the Empress of England June 1959. Traveling from Montreal to Greenock and returning home on the same ship in September 1959. My sister, brother and I were traveling with our Mom to visit her family.

I still have the passenger booklet they gave out. Lists the names of all passengers and their cabin class.

Empress_of_England.jpg

• Like 1