Mariner Through 2021 WC Cancelled

mrlevin

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

With all the bookings transferred over (until people decide to cancel), I guess there won't be any Cat H "showers;" I guess that ends our plans for the 2023 world cruise.

Don’t give up hope so easily. A lot can change over two years from now.

• Like 1

It looks like they decided to cancel the 2021 WC in order to give those booked on it the priority chance at the 2023 WC.  Although it might be bad news for those who don't have priority, I'm sure that not everyone will accept that offer.

They have announced that one ship will start before the others, so it still remains to be seen which ship that will be.  It is also possible that if the current itineraries are too far flung, they might create some new ones for the startup, like Crystal tried to do for the fall.  In order to do that, they first have to cancel the existing itineraries.  I'm not saying that is the plan, just that it could be a possibility.

11 hours ago, Anchorbuoy said:

To address feedback from guests and travel partners, we are modifying our payment schedule for voyages departing through March 31, 2021 — for any reservations that have not yet been paid in full, final payment will now be due 60 days prior to cruise departure date.

This is very helpful, and hopefully they will also modify the cancellation penalty schedule to start at 60 days also.  Otherwise, you can delay payment but not cancellation for a cash refund.  I guess that if you are into the penalty phase you would still be able to get an FCC for the amount you have paid under Regent Reassurance, but some might prefer a cash refund.  When those revised invoices come out, it would be really nice if someone would post if they changed the penalty schedule on them as well as the final payment date.

5 hours ago, SusieQft said:

This is very helpful, and hopefully they will also modify the cancellation penalty schedule to start at 60 days also.  Otherwise, you can delay payment but not cancellation for a cash refund.  I guess that if you are into the penalty phase you would still be able to get an FCC for the amount you have paid under Regent Reassurance, but some might prefer a cash refund.  When those revised invoices come out, it would be really nice if someone would post if they changed the penalty schedule on them as well as the final payment date.

No, the penalty period starts at 120 days on the replacement invoice, even though final payment is at 60 days.  The penalty at 61-90 days is 50%.  The penalty at 60 days is 75%.

This will likely trap some guests who don't read between the lines like you did, and who expect to be able to simply cancel 60 days before their cruise.  I would think the only option if you wait to cancel at 60 days (and not pay the penalty) would be to pay in full, invoke Regent Reassurance, and take the Future Cruise Credit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anchorbuoy said:

No, the penalty period starts at 120 days on the replacement invoice, even though final payment is at 60 days.  The penalty at 61-90 days is 50%.  The penalty at 60 days is 75%.

This will likely trap some guests who don't read between the lines like you did, and who expect to be able to simply cancel 60 days before their cruise.  I would think the only option if you wait to cancel at 60 days (and not pay the penalty) would be to pay in full, invoke Regent Reassurance, and take the Future Cruise Credit.

Our TA thinks that they'll probably modify the cancellation penalty schema but just didn't have this synchronized.  In the worst case, if we cancel at 61 days out and the 50% penalty statement remains, we'd lose our deposit since that's the only money of ours they will have at that point.  It's not like they could or would send a bill for 50% of the full cruise fare for which we hadn't yet paid.

My guess is they will just go with 75% penalty for the "60-31 days" period and nothing for the 61+ days period.

1 hour ago, Portolan said:

It's not like they could or would send a bill for 50% of the full cruise fare for which we hadn't yet paid.

I have never personally encountered the situation in which the cancellation penalty exceeds the deposit that they hold.

However, the Ticket Contract from Regent states:

"If the cancellation charge is more than Your advance payment, You agree to be liable to Us for the difference."

They also have your credit card data on file.

15 minutes ago, Anchorbuoy said:

I have never personally encountered the situation in which the cancellation penalty exceeds the deposit that they hold.

However, the Ticket Contract from Regent states:

"If the cancellation charge is more than Your advance payment, You agree to be liable to Us for the difference."

They also have your credit card data on file.

Ouch!  Definitely will ask our TA to get the change, if any, in writing before we pass the 120 day limit.  Thanks for pointing this out.  Like most, while I may have read the T&C at some point in the past, I don't re-read it every time.

This was stated in the letter we received:

Once the booking has passed the new final payment due date, standard cancellation penalties apply.

Will certainly double check once we receive the revised invoice.

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Two additional itineraries canceled overnight.  Probably 2022 but have no idea; they are not November 2020. 

I think yesterday two of the later segments in the 2021 WC were still listed as "waitlisted."  Now they are gone.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaveFr said:

FWIW, a UK cruiser posted earlier that Regent UK had confirmed to him or her by email that until the 60th day, a cancellation penalty would only be the amount of the deposit. (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2757351-final-payment-date-now-is-60-days-for-remaining-2020-cruises/?tab=comments#comment-60244163)

Dave

That penalty of losing the deposit may be unique to the UK. It is thousands of dollars. In the U.S we are told the penalty up to 60 days final payment date is $100 per person and the deposit is returned. After 60 day date, the big penalties kick in. So it appears that Regent is delaying as long as possible any cancellation info so they can use the deposits longer.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tripperva said:

That penalty of losing the deposit may be unique to the UK. It is thousands of dollars. In the U.S we are told the penalty up to 60 days final payment date is $100 per person and the deposit is returned. After 60 day date, the big penalties kick in. So it appears that Regent is delaying as long as possible any cancellation info so they can use the deposits longer.

Can you find the statement that "we are told the penalty up to 60 days final payment date is $100 per person and the deposit is returned."?  Nothing on the revised guest statement which we received yesterday says that.  Given the language in the T&C, I'm not prepared to take the chance unless it is in print or on-line.

And, the rationale about keeping the deposits longer as well as not wanting people to bail earlier on a cruise that might actually operate is almost certainly correct.  We won't know, until it happens, when that first cruise will be.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Can you find the statement that "we are told the penalty up to 60 days final payment date is $100 per person and the deposit is returned."?  Nothing on the revised guest statement which we received yesterday says that.  Given the language in the T&C, I'm not prepared to take the chance unless it is in print or on-line.

And, the rationale about keeping the deposits longer as well as not wanting people to bail earlier on a cruise that might actually operate is almost certainly correct.  We won't know, until it happens, when that first cruise will be.

Travel agent told us a few hours ago. It's in writing, but you should obviously check with your own advisor. They might have different information.

Not happy about that, especially after the cut off date for this perk was Aug.26th.....hmmm. I guess those of us who are still waiting for our November cruises to be cancelled  are just out of luck.........guess our monies are not the right shade of green.

Why was this all well and good on the 25th and no good on the 26th.......? Truely, does not seem fair.....

9 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I was wondering when someone would notice......

People noticed on FB some time ago.  Cute that they aren't offering it to the world cruises.  I cancelled long ago, but if I hadn't, and they were still giving out that perk, I'd now be finally Platinum.  Oh well, forever Gold!

It's all moot at this point anyway. However, since I don't do FB, I guess we're out of the loop. I guess what I question, is how do they arrive at these dates? Really hoping that we'll hear about November cruises this coming week. Would love to get our lives back instead of waiting for that second shoe to drop.

6 hours ago, Mudhen said:

I guess we're out of the loop. I guess what I question, is how do they arrive at these dates?

It was just the date they decided not to offer that perk any more.  It would not have done any good to know about it in advance, because it only applies to Regent cancelled bookings.  Or am I missing something here?