CDC Quietly Drops Mandatory 14-Day Quarantine After Traveling

woldridge

21 minutes ago, woldridge said:

Maybe. It doesn’t mean the virus is any less prevalent so if it contributes to continued spreading, it could actually be a step backward.  CDC also said people who have been exposed to Covid don’t need to be tested. I think they are trying to clarify that now, but the fact that they “quietly” made these changes makes me wonder.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woldridge said:

This will help the restart of cruising...

Why would you think that? The cruiselines still have to address the rest of the conditions CDC has set before they can sail again. IMO, this step was a mistake, given the current state of the pandemic in America, and may well have been due to political pressure, rather than science.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Maybe. It doesn’t mean the virus is any less prevalent so if it contributes to continued spreading, it could actually be a step backward.  CDC also said people who have been exposed to Covid don’t need to be tested. I think they are trying to clarify that now, but the fact that they “quietly” made these changes makes me wonder.

I think it's fair to say that these changes were not generated within the CDC.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Had the CDC ever actually mandated quarantine to the general public the change in wording would perhaps be beneficial, but since the actual CDC guidance was the equivalent of 'don't pee in the pool', this doesn't carry much weight.

58 minutes ago, mom says said:

Why would you think that? The cruiselines still have to address the rest of the conditions CDC has set before they can sail again. 

Exactly.  There are LOTS of issues to be dealt with that have nothing to do with 14 day quarantines.

This was posted a few days ago in a thread that quickly spiralled into a mask/no mask, isolation vs, quarantine debate that got deleted.  Ultimately the cruise lines need to ensure a Covid free trip and this news is unlikely to impact what they need to do,

8 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

Canada still requires it after travelling outside of Canada.  Hoping that might change by the end of September though...I have a Disney trip to do in November 🙂  (priorities you know LOL)

SMH. In spite of the government's advisory to avoid all non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice; the requirement for quarantine when re-entering Canada; the fact that your insurance may not cover your travel or medical expenses; the medical community's concern over the simultaneous threat from flu and coronavirus at that time; and the high incidence of COVID-19, you are still going to travel to the US just to visit Disney this November? Wow! 

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

SMH. In spite of the government's advisory to avoid all non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice; the requirement for quarantine when re-entering Canada; the fact that your insurance may not cover your travel or medical expenses; the medical community's concern over the simultaneous threat from flu and coronavirus at that time; and the high incidence of COVID-19, you are still going to travel to the US just to visit Disney this November? Wow! 

Yuppers...without hesitation

• Like 2