Jump to content

What have been the Main reasons you booked a cruise


miched
 Share

Recommended Posts

For the most part all of our cruises have been based on value and cheap fares other than for a specific itinerary such as Hawaii, Alaska and etc

 

I have talked to many that were on the cruise for other reasons.  Some were Perry Grant groupies, others for the CD, or  wanted to be on the ship for a certain captain.   Others book for Oldies cruise, Golden Girl Cruise,  Nudists   and etc.  

One couple we met were on the cruise because their daughter was in the production show.  Another couple reason was  to go to Jamaica to buy about 100 lbs  of  Blue Mountain Coffee.   There was also another couple only did the cruise to be able to buy some liquor that was only sold on some island.   

 

We have been on a oldies cruise, and Golden Girl Cruise but weren’t part of their charter.  We lucked out on the oldies as it wasn’t really a charter but just a cruise organized by the cruise line and I guess promoted as such.  We didn’t know it when we booked and were surprised by the shows.   It was the 2nd cruise we ever took and was also our only cruise on HAL 

 

Why have you booked a cruise other than the usual reasons of a great bargain, get away, anniversary, birthday, honeymoon or etc ?  
 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We book 90% of our cruises for the itinerary, often to places we haven’t been and where we want to spend time pre and post cruise.  The other 10% of the time we are just wanting a get away & book a cruise to the Caribbean where we rarely get off the ship.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We book our cruises to relax, be pampered and to enjoy seeing different places around the globe.

No cooking, washing dishes or cleaning. Just pure joy at being on the Ocean and getting away from the mundane world.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We book our cruises to relax, be pampered and to enjoy seeing different places around the globe.

No cooking, washing dishes or cleaning. Just pure joy at being on the Ocean and getting away from the mundane world.

Well said! We also enjoy being entertained, whether it's going to an evening show, playing trivia or listening to lectures as well as going to places where we can see, if possible, lots of animals and unique places around the world.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We book to be spoiled and to be entertained,  we love music charters, for the last ten years we have been booking suites although we started booking inside cabins , next cruise will be #70 for me which is more than most but less than many. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We love sailing- doesn't matter the ports.  We see the ship as our destination.  We love the service, the amenities and we enjoy the suite life.  The service on most of our cruises has been excellent.  We find it relaxing and yet if you want things to do, you have options.  And we find perhaps the ships movement helps us sleep well.

 

Have been on over 50 cruises, and hope that we will be able to sail again soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jelayne said:

We book 90% of our cruises for the itinerary, often to places we haven’t been and where we want to spend time pre and post cruise.  The other 10% of the time we are just wanting a get away & book a cruise to the Caribbean where we rarely get off the ship.

 

We book the same way.  My husband still works so the itinerary and number of days have to be planned carefully.  We then try to take a shorter vacation in between the longer trips

 

For example, we booked a transatlantic for October 2021 back in December 2019, but we sailed the Caribbean last January and (hopefully) will in March 2021 just to get away. 

 

When the price and perks are right, we go for it.  We love cruising!

 

Edited by amevola
wrong verb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

We book our cruises to relax, be pampered and to enjoy seeing different places around the globe.

No cooking, washing dishes or cleaning. Just pure joy at being on the Ocean and getting away from the mundane world.

 

C-Dragons,

Sounds a lot like our rationale for picking a cruise itinerary.  Sometimes, it is to join friends, or a particular group of friends.

Thank you for condensing our rationale, to just a few sentences.

 

NRayH

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our first choice has always been Princess so we only booked our five Celebrity cruises to see our DD who was working on board. We missed her one time when she was moved to another ship  at the 11th hour. That was weird because we met so many of her work colleagues but without her!

When both her and my SIL were on the Edge for it maiden season it was an opportunity not to be missed and pre Christmas too. We were so lucky to see them both happy working together.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mainly itinerary, but more recently so that we can sail from Southampton ie no flying. 

An added bonus is the ability to buy Apple products much cheaper on the ship, ie no VAT, which is 20% in UK. However, to get this perk, we need to include either Guernsey or St Petersburg in the itinerary, as they are Customs free zones for the UK.This means that more recently we have concentrated our cruising to Europe, although in the past we have visited Alaska. Australia, Canada, Hawaii & New Zealand. I would go back to all the above places when I have had the Covid jab, but how long will that be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We love the entire cruise experience,  usually on Celebrity's " S " class ships.

Get away from the cold winter weather, get onto the ship, unpack once, great food , great service, excellent facilities , meet some very nice people, and now,  get some " stories " to share on CC .

I was going to comment on  " Some were Perry Grant groupies, others for the CD, or  wanted to be on the ship for a certain captain " , but ( LOL )I better stay away from that one.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is the most relaxing vacation we know, plus you don’t stay in one place (as opposed to an all-inclusive resort).

In the spirit of the original question, the most interesting reason that didn’t work out that I’ve ever heard was on a TA. We met a fellow who had booked this transatlantic cruise because it visited the Bahamas on the day that the daughter of a friend was getting married- so he took the cruise to go to a wedding. Sadly, the entire itinerary changed the day before sailing, and we didn’t go to Nassau at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...