My brother booked a 14 Barcelona / Portugal relocation cruise next November.  I decided to join him on theLegend as this will be family event and I have never been to Spain and Portugal. Their will be the last 6 days at see in the North Atlantic in November. I have never cruised across the Atlantic and in November. How bad are we looking at the weather or should I not be worried. 

Thanks

7 minutes ago, yanks23 said:

How about the seas are they pretty rough.  I can deal with the cold but would not rather have very rough seas.

The seas can also be pretty unpredictable. On our November crossing (Barcelona to Galveston) it was mostly smooth apart from 25-30ft swells after leaving the Canary Islands which lasted a day. For our April crossing (Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen), we picked up a system that mostly followed behind us as we changed course to get ahead of it. The Seas weren’t the best in the North Sea but nothing bad.

You’ll most likely have a smooth crossing but prepare for one that can be a bit more rough than a Caribbean Cruise. Our most recent cruise went to Antarctica which required a crossing of the Drake Passage... an even more unpredictable area where swells can be treacherous. A quick YouTube search would probably turn you away from booking a Drake Passage crossing.

The North Atlantic can be rougher than the South Atlantic, but nothing Titanic!

Just depends on weather fronts - A Nor'easter here or a late season wrong way hurricane there. I haven't sailed into Baltimore but have sailed into New York a few times and the most memorable weather (if any) was the last day before New York. But certainly nothing the whole way.

When crossing the Atlantic, in addition to the month, the direction can also dictate the seas experienced. Being November, the assumption is that you are Westbound. Although the shortest distance is a Great Circle heading to northerly Latitudes, the Westbound ships avoid this routing, due to the Gulf Stream and N Atlantic drift currents.

By heading further south, you have a greater chance of experiencing lesser seas. Modern forecasting and Met routing recommendations also greatly assist Masters with finding smoother passages.

However, you are still crossing the Atlantic, so be prepared for anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

All depends on the route.  If you're going through Bermuda, it's a crap shoot with rough weather.  If you're going through the Caribbean to Florida, odds are the weather will be from OK to very nice.  I have done both routes in November.  The more northern route was probably the roughest I have encountered.  The southernly routes were wonderful.  The same comment holds going West to East in April.  Go south, good; go north through Bermuda, bad.

• 2 weeks later...

After about five transatlantics, one in the fall, we had smooth sailing once on the Atlantic Ocean. The Mediterranean can be rather choppy in the fall.  We experienced a Medicane (a hurricane in the Mediterranean) last December around the Straits of Messina.  That was an experience, but most of us didn't get seasick. The buffet and restaurants were closed for a while, as were the elevators. 

I've only been seasick once and that was in the Pacific Northwest out of Seattle. The ship, rolled, pitched and "swirled."  I learned to never say never.

9 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

The ship, rolled, pitched and "swirled."

"Swirling":  yes, I have experienced that in a stern stateroom on the Westerdam.  Did not cause any seasickness for me, but it most surely was odd and something that I did not enjoy.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

"Swirling":  yes, I have experienced that in a stern stateroom on the Westerdam.  Did not cause any seasickness for me, but it most surely was odd and something that I did not enjoy.  

The next day, an officer told me that was his first ever seasickness event. It must have been a doozy for many.