Cruise Critic Community
luckyinpa

passport. upgrading from card to book

2016 i got the card, now i need the book. the form to apply says

You are also eligible to use this form if you currently have a U.S. passport book and/or card that complies with the previously listed criteria, and would like to obtain a alternative product (U.S. passport book and/or card) for the first time. However, you must submit the product you currently have (U.S. passport book and/or card) with this application. If your U.S. passport book and/or card has been lost, stolen, damaged, or mutilated, you must apply on the DS-11 application form as specified below

---------

so am i reading that right that i can get a new pic taken but just mail in the card and they give me a book now (i assume mail my card back as well then? 

18 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

2016 i got the card, now i need the book. the form to apply says

You are also eligible to use this form if you currently have a U.S. passport book and/or card that complies with the previously listed criteria, and would like to obtain a alternative product (U.S. passport book and/or card) for the first time. However, you must submit the product you currently have (U.S. passport book and/or card) with this application. If your U.S. passport book and/or card has been lost, stolen, damaged, or mutilated, you must apply on the DS-11 application form as specified below

---------

so am i reading that right that i can get a new pic taken but just mail in the card and they give me a book now (i assume mail my card back as well then? 

You would send in your renewal application, new photo and current passport card (and of course a check for the fee). You should receive your passport and your passport card back in separate mailing. (And the same would apply if someone wanted to apply for the card and already have the book.)

cool this is great. saves me from setting up and paying for appointment to get a book. i'm glad they realize if you have a card, you qualify for a book 🙂

20 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

cool this is great. saves me from setting up and paying for appointment to get a book. i'm glad they realize if you have a card, you qualify for a book 🙂

Sometimes even the government gets it right.😉 

Sparks answered your question but I'm just throwing it out there,,,, why not both?

This is my thought and I can totally respect if your thoughts are different.

I have both. Why?

I have the card with me anytime I'm out and about.

A 2nd form of ID if ever needed.

When I fly domestically, the passport card is my "Real ID".

I live in Washington State, so if I want to head up to Canada for the weekend, my card is sufficient.

When I cruise the Caribbean, my book is in the safe, my card is on me while I'm off the ship.

When I'm International, my book is at the hotel locked up and my card (internationally recognized form of identification) is with me at all times.

The additional cost is much less than what I spend on a Drinks Package.🤣

Posted (edited)
On 9/20/2020 at 11:46 AM, klfrodo said:

Sparks answered your question but I'm just throwing it out there,,,, why not both?

This is my thought and I can totally respect if your thoughts are different.

I have both. Why?

I have the card with me anytime I'm out and about.

A 2nd form of ID if ever needed.

When I fly domestically, the passport card is my "Real ID".

I live in Washington State, so if I want to head up to Canada for the weekend, my card is sufficient.

When I cruise the Caribbean, my book is in the safe, my card is on me while I'm off the ship.

When I'm International, my book is at the hotel locked up and my card (internationally recognized form of identification) is with me at all times.

The additional cost is much less than what I spend on a Drinks Package.🤣

Washington state is 1 of 4 states to issue enhanced driver's license which can be used for border crossings into/from Canada.  Just curious why you would need the passport card in addition to your DL for crossing the border into Canada.  I am in Texas and I have to use my passport card or passport book to cross into Mexico by land.

Edited by Texas Jake

1 hour ago, Texas Jake said:

Washington state is 1 of 4 states to issue enhanced driver's license which can be used for border crossings into/from Canada.  Just curious why you would need the passport card in addition to your DL for crossing the border into Canada.  I am in Texas and I have to use my passport card or passport book to cross into Mexico by land.

One has to apply for an Enhanced Driver's License, they are not issued automatically to people. We chose to get an EDL rather than a passport card because it's one less thing to carry.