E mail from Azamara, Double upgrade, Double points.

I have just had an email from Azamara, indicating that they are giving me a complimentary Double Upgrade to enjoy a Two Category stateroom upgrade on sailings from March 20 th 2021, if I  book between September 1st- November 18 th 2020.

Plus, an added bonus, if I book by September 18th, I will earn double points towards my Azamara circle loyalty benefits.

I just need to mention 2XPOINTS when I book.

i would normally jump at an offer like this, but first I want to:

a) see when ships start sailing again

b) what the new Azamara requirements are for sailing

c) if there is a Covid vaccine available.

d) any age penalties.

We cancelled our recent Celebrity cruise, as a doctors ‘Fit to Sail letter was required.

it took me a long time to get our Insurance company to refund our deposit, due the Gov.Uk advice against over 70’s cruising. This advice is still in place for all cruising, so I’m afraid that I won’t be taking up Azamara’s offer, although normally I would have booked ASAP.

Edited by upwarduk

the offer is of course a joke. Went to azamara website and picked a cruise we might have been interested in. Website lists inside as X$ and balcony as Y$. try to book balcony,. price comes up as Y$ but also shows inside as Y$. So basically price of inside increases to price of balcony rather than balcony decreasing to price of inside.

Yes, the email tempted me into looking at a cruise for June 2021 that we were tracking pre-pandemic — Ireland Intensive.  Unfortunately as others have mentioned the ridiculousness of the “double upgrade promotion” continues. There was a time (2016) when this was real and we saved money by rebooking when this promotion was offered. I haven’t found this promotion an actual sale since then. I recorded the price of this cruise in February just before the pandemic: an oceanview was 8,332 and a veranda was 9932 for two, now AZ would like to have me believe that an inside and oceanview are both over $10k, and they are giving us a double upgrade to the veranda. Good luck, AZ filling the ships post-pandemic with these kind of games and prices. I love AZ as a cruise but their “sales” are games where they manipulate the prices and treat the customer like we are idiots. And at that price the value is not there.

I am getting emails all of the time from Azamara just now. Sadly they are of no interest during the current crisis, but I'm hoping to look at the situation in a more positive light soon. I hear such conflicting views. Hearing today from someone medical and in the know who says Covid-19 will be amongst us for a long time and that his view on an imminent vaccine was pessimistic.

I still hold up hope that these Azamara emails don't end up in my trash quite as quickly. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

All of the prices on all of the cruise lines are hyper-inflated because of the generous future cruise credits they handed out and lift and shift promos etc.  There is NO WAY I would give any cruise line money right now, including Azamara.  There is too much risk and who knows if several of these lines will even survive.  I certainly have my doubts Azamara is going to get through this.

13 hours ago, AllisonJames said:

Yes, the email tempted me into looking at a cruise for June 2021 that we were tracking pre-pandemic — Ireland Intensive.  Unfortunately as others have mentioned the ridiculousness of the “double upgrade promotion” continues. There was a time (2016) when this was real and we saved money by rebooking when this promotion was offered. I haven’t found this promotion an actual sale since then. I recorded the price of this cruise in February just before the pandemic: an oceanview was 8,332 and a veranda was 9932 for two, now AZ would like to have me believe that an inside and oceanview are both over $10k, and they are giving us a double upgrade to the veranda. Good luck, AZ filling the ships post-pandemic with these kind of games and prices. I love AZ as a cruise but their “sales” are games where they manipulate the prices and treat the customer like we are idiots. And at that price the value is not there.

We have noticed the same nonsense in the UK pricing.  There is no way we will travel again with Azamara at the prices they are currently asking and this sort of phoney deal only serves to annoy loyal cruisers.  They treat us as if we are all stupid.  Don't we all convert headline prices into $ or £ per day when making comparisons?

My suspicion is that post Covid they may already be planning to minimise the use of inside cabins just in case there are lockdowns.

19 hours ago, SMLCH said:

My husband and I saved $600 on a previously booked cabin on the Quest for October 2021 !!  No gimmick!!

Good for you, but that is far from the norm with these offers lately.

Edited by Bloodaxe

I am usually very sceptical  as well  about these promotions.  However, in my case  (19 night Nov. 2021) the price droped $1624, from a booking just made on Aug 31 (using 125% solo promo) to today with the new promotion. I miss cruising so much I am willing to risk  the deposit. 

When a company starts to throw free points from it loyalty program to encourage business its like printing money. It debases the existing program and cheapens it value. The value in loyalty is diluted. Too many people hit the next tier quicker and the rewards are then reduced to compensate. This type of discounting is the beginning of the end.

Prior to COVID one of the big topics of discussion here was continually eroding loyalty benefits.  Double points without improved higher level benefits is useless.  IMHO it just shows how out of touch their marketing continues to be if they really think this offering will be enticing. 

And I won't even tackle the double upgrade situation.  For all that's changed, so much has not.  😞

Edited by Anchor Light
On 9/6/2020 at 7:47 AM, MakingUpForLostTime said:

When a company starts to throw free points from it loyalty program to encourage business its like printing money. It debases the existing program and cheapens it value. The value in loyalty is diluted. Too many people hit the next tier quicker and the rewards are then reduced to compensate. This type of discounting is the beginning of the end.

Those of us who are long time Azamara customers (I hate being called a "guest" when I'm paying for a cruise) see this as the continuation of the end. Benefits have been reduced several times already. Many of us now sail on Oceania, Viking, Seabourn and Regent - among other lines.  As prices have risen and benefits have decreased, we've found interesting alternatives. 

On 9/1/2020 at 12:15 PM, yvrcruzer said:

the offer is of course a joke. Went to azamara website and picked a cruise we might have been interested in. Website lists inside as X$ and balcony as Y$. try to book balcony,. price comes up as Y$ but also shows inside as Y$. So basically price of inside increases to price of balcony rather than balcony decreasing to price of inside.

Not a joke on the three cruises we have booked in October 2021.  Have friends looking to join one of them; several hundred dollars less than the last promotion