Suite school is in session

Tree_skier

Inspired by the "best deal on Star" thread I decided to look into doing something a little more than usual for our 30th wedding anniversary.  Looking at the Star class suites prices I've decided that that is a little more than I want to spend.  However, Sky seems doable.  

The anniversary is March 2023 and assuming schedules stay the same as 2022 ( I know that that is a crazy assumption) I've decided on Oasis doing an Eastern Caribbean.  I figure that no matter what the schedule shakes to be there will be at least a couple of Oasis class ships doing eastern Caribbeans to choose from so this has a little basis in reality anyways. 

The two suites that I like the look of are the 1 bed Aqua or the CLS.  My first thought was to go with the Aqua but then I noticed that the CLS was actually bigger and when looking at 2022 prices in March it actually comes in a little cheaper.  

School is starting so I thought I would ask the first essay question of the year...

"Compare and contrast your experiences in a 1 bed Aqua suite and a Crown Loft suite."

For those that have only done one...

"What part of your experience, staying in a Crown Loft/1 Bed Aqua, was most significant or memorable."

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

First good choice on ship. I feel the oasis class ships gives you the biggest bang for a full suite. I have stayed in a one bedroom grand suite on harmony. And i would prefer another grand suite. Here are my reasons why. First it's just me and hubby, so it's plenty of room. And it is the cheapest sky class, so you save money. Arthritis in my knees and lots of drinking, so i don't want steps in my room!!  I have stayed in a corner aft suite on a smaller ship(grandeur)  And it was a long walk to our room every time. I cannot imagine how long that walk is on a bigger ship. And when I go to my room, I want piece and quiet. A little solitude. So that would definiately rule out the aqua suite. If I was to do bigger it would be an owners suite. Sometimes the novelty of what you are looking at is not what you expect. This is my opinion. 

• Like 4

Look into booking an OS or GS a year earlier on an inexpensive ship and then swapping it to an Oasis ship for date you want 

Our TA can handle that 😉

FWIW, the A3/A4 on Harmony and Symphony are much nicer than Oasis 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Look into booking an OS a year earlier on an inexpensive ship and then swapping it to an Oasis ship for date you want 

Our TA can handle that 😉

He is looking at 2023. Not out yet so not shiftable  YET!!  Now if they extend L and S when the new sailings come out we will be keeping our TA very busy bargain hunting

Edited by molly361
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Loft suites on deck 17 have a great wow factor.  Steps to the upstairs aren't an issue for me. 

Having two bathrooms is nice, it's great to have the lower bathroom when someone else is showering or getting ready.  

Proximity to the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen is great.  I love to head to the lounge for a pre-dinner drink while someone else is get prettied up.  

When an elevator finally arrives it usually empties out so a full elevator arriving isn't usually an issue as deck 17 is the last stop.  

Aft facing lofts don't have great balcony privacy.  Some of them can hold a conversation with someone on the sports deck but are great for people watching if that's your thing.  Side facing loft suites offer great privacy.  Leave the curtains open and wake up to beautiful sea views through two story windows.

ATS have great views of the Aqua shows.  Balcony typically offers a boardwalk side for people watching plus an ocean side for some privacy.  Long walk down the hall to the aft.  Great for burning WJ calories but it's a haul at times.  Aft wake views speak for themselves.  Some ATS have low shower ceiling height.  Single bathroom.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The location of the Crown Loft's can't be beat. We prefer the side views with the ocean as opposed to the sports area. As mentioned, the walk to the ATS is a haul. 

If you intend to spend a decent amount of time in the cabin, maybe the ATS is the choice since the view is wonderful. 

All the ATS's on Harmony and Symphony are smaller then their counterparts on the Oasis/Allure. 

Really can't go wrong with either, but if it were just the two of us, we would take the CLS. When the kids are along the ATS's are great. 

mac_tlc

• Thanks 1

Concur with many above.  The Wow factor of the CLS is pretty spectacular.  This would be my choice unless stairs are an issue.  The second (downstairs) bathroom is so nice.  I would also recommend the water-facing suites.  The suites themselves are the same but the water view is preferable, to me.  The location and proximity to the Suites Lounge/CK makes the CLS so convenient and special.

The ATS also has a great Wow factor.  ...but the walk all the way aft every time you forget something becomes overwhelming.  If you decide to try the ATS, I recommend deck 11 but not 12 or 14.  The balconies on 12 and 14 are really tiny on Oasis (and Allure).  @twangster made an excellent observation re: low head clearance in the shower.  Since the ATS were add-ons for Allure and Oasis, they had to modify an existing space and the result was low overhead clearance in the shower to accommodate the addition of plumbing.  If you are tall-ish, I would probably steer clear of the ATS on A or O. Frankly, I have not been in the 1 BR ATS on Harmony or Symphony so I really cannot comment on how they are compared to A and O....but it is my understanding that they are much better, since they were designed in from the beginning.

As with all booking, I would recommend that you act as soon as the itineraries come out that you are interested in.  The suites only get more expensive as time passes and you can almost always save by booking early.  Just remember that the deposits on full suites are non-refundable only.

Good luck.  Once you go sweet, you can never go back !

Edited by RFerrington
  • Like 1

Hi, could someone educate me which suites are the order of better than others. 

For instance lIberty when I put in 1 pax for feb 28, 2021, only 1 and 2 bedroom grand suites come up. (Ignoring js since no perks). Let's say feb 28 gets cancelled, and I moved to april 25, 2021. One suite only comes up  a owner's suite. Prices are within $50 of each other and reflect  texas discount. One pax taxes. 

Is there a list in some kind of order showing which are better. Is there a rule of thumb what is a good price? Which is better or same? 

1. Grand suite 2/28/21

2. Owners suite 4/25/21

20200901_151051786.jpeg

20200901_151513483.jpeg

2 hours ago, twangster said:

When an elevator finally arrives it usually empties out so a full elevator arriving isn't usually an issue as deck 17 is the last stop.

Except for all the people with hands full of plates of Windjammer food who hop on the first elevator that arrives at Deck 16 because they can't push a button. 😄

• Thanks 1

I do enjoy the side CL but, if budget is an issue than book a GS for less. Did not care for the AT higher suites.  It was too noisy.  All the amenities are the same and then you can budget for extras. The only thing that was different is we received a bottle of champagne from the hotel director in the CL. Even though you say your Star may be out of price range, if you are purchasing the UDP, and Beverage package, it may be better to look at STAR.  Keep in mind the grats are also included.  

Things to watch out for getting a good price no matter the suite:

1. Look at going out of Galveston as those Star suites tended to be a little less expensive when the Allure was supposed to go there.  Who knows what ship or if the terminal will be finished there in 2023.   I know you had your heart set on Oasis, but all the of the sisters are very similar.

2. Allure did not get the upgrades this year so those sailings may be a pretty good deals on those sailings where ever she is ported if she isn't upgraded

3. Book as soon as the sailings are released, as they sometimes are very good deals that they increase over time. This is what happened with Oasis for the Jan Feb time frame when they were first released.

Edited by irishgal432
  • Like 1

We are the weird ones. We like the back CL suites, particularly the middles ones so that we can people watch on the boardwalk. On Oasis you could watch the Aqua Theater until they put in that purple monstrosity 😁  We have 1730 booked for our next cruise so we will see how badly the view is now obstructed.  I dreaded getting one of the back ones at first as I love to look at the ocean. But I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. You can still see the ocean and at least with the middle suites, you are not right on top of the sports court or the mini golf.

If I get bored with people watching and need my ocean fix, I just go down one deck and grab a chair to watch the ocean.   My kids love being one staircase from the Windjammer.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

I havent booked over a JS, so reading along trying to figure out how you know what is a good price or not. Other than the * do any others come with other perks than the coastal kitchen and suite lounge? Do all suites get coastal kitchen? 

I think it's been 4 or 5 years since I stopped cruising and decided this year to start again. I don't remember talk of coastal kitchen when I last booked. 

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I havent booked over a JS, so reading along trying to figure out how you know what is a good price or not. Other than the * do any others come with other perks than the coastal kitchen and suite lounge? Do all suites get coastal kitchen? 

I think it's been 4 or 5 years since I stopped cruising and decided this year to start again. I don't remember talk of coastal kitchen when I last booked. 

I think the jr suites only get the coastal kitchen after the reserved tables are filled. 

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Other than the * do any others come with other perks than the coastal kitchen and suite lounge? Do all suites get coastal kitchen? 

All full suites (Grand Suites and above) can use the Suites Lounge and Coastal Kitchen.  Unless things change post-COVID, JS can utilize the CK for dinner only.  Full suites get complimentary internet.

13 minutes ago, EZ1 said:

I think the jr suites only get the coastal kitchen after the reserved tables are filled. 

News to me. Like I said it's been a while since I cruised. Stopped for a while. I thought js didnt count as suites so just was looking at anything above js. Seeing prices and what's available. Saw some got star for under 4k, makes it hard to figure out what's a good deal on the others.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Loft suites on deck 17 have a great wow factor.  Steps to the upstairs aren't an issue for me. 

Having two bathrooms is nice, it's great to have the lower bathroom when someone else is showering or getting ready.  

Proximity to the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen is great.  I love to head to the lounge for a pre-dinner drink while someone else is get prettied up.  

Aft facing lofts don't have great balcony privacy.  Some of them can hold a conversation with someone on the sports deck but are great for people watching if that's your thing.  Side facing loft suites offer great privacy.  Leave the curtains open and wake up to beautiful sea views through two story windows.

ATS have great views of the Aqua shows.  Balcony typically offers a boardwalk side for people watching plus an ocean side for some privacy.  Long walk down the hall to the aft.  Great for burning WJ calories but it's a haul at times.  Aft wake views speak for themselves.  Some ATS have low shower ceiling height.  Single bathroom.  

This sums it up almost perfectly.

@Tree_skier There is one thing that should be added, CLS have two cabin attendants tending to your cabin VS one for the 1 BDR ATS.  It doesn’t seem like a big difference, but trust me it is. 

The deck 17 hallway is also exceptional quiet and very wide all times of the day.  Comes in handy for those late night slightly sober return from the bars. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

32 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

All full suites (Grand Suites and above) can use the Suites Lounge and Coastal Kitchen.  Unless things change post-COVID, JS can utilize the CK for dinner only.  Full suites get complimentary internet.

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

News to me. Like I said it's been a while since I cruised. Stopped for a while. I thought js didnt count as suites so just was looking at anything above js. Seeing prices and what's available. Saw some got star for under 4k, makes it hard to figure out what's a good deal on the others.

Just to clarify, Liberty does not have Royal Suite Class, so there is no Coastal Kitchen and those full suites do not get free voom or any of the other Royal Suite Class amenities.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just to clarify, Liberty does not have Royal Suite Class, so there is no Coastal Kitchen and those full suites do not get free voom or any of the other Royal Suite Class amenities.

So no free internet? Well that's too bad. The 2 suites above on liberty both around $3300 for 1 person, so only suite lounge, I already get diamond lounge. Just more space, like on the JS. I think I'll wait for allure. One date has the one owners suite and the other date grand suites which seem not to be selling all that well, so must not be a great price. Lots of grand suites showing open feb 28. 

.... though maybe ta can see more choices. 

6 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Arthritis in my knees and lots of drinking, so i don't want steps in my room!!  I have stayed in a corner aft suite on a smaller ship(grandeur)  And it was a long walk to our room every time. I cannot imagine how long that walk is on a bigger ship.  

Thanks, we have done a few aft cabins and the walk isn't to bad for us.  Actually it helps me get my steps in and restricts the cruise weight gain.

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Look into booking an OS or GS a year earlier on an inexpensive ship and then swapping it to an Oasis ship for date you want 

Our TA can handle that 😉

When the new schedules come out in November and if Lift and Shift is still an option that'll be a great idea.  We'll see.  I'm hoping by the time I get to that point there will be a lot more clarity about the schedule and that they will have discontinued the Lift and shift program because things are returning to normal.

That being said "our TA" can handle anything LOL

6 hours ago, twangster said:

That's good to know about the proximity of sports deck.  I never would have thought of that.  I'm a people watcher so its no problem for me but DW likes a little more privacy.  One of her favorite things about the corner aft we had on Adventure was privacy on a very big deck.

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

Early celebration  could be a better deal🍻

It'd be nice but we're booked with 6 cruises through March 2022. No more room to squeeze in an early celebration 😇 Although it is tempting 

6 hours ago, RFerrington said:

As with all booking, I would recommend that you act as soon as the itineraries come out that you are interested in.  The suites only get more expensive as time passes and you can almost always save by booking early.  Just remember that the deposits on full suites are non-refundable only.

Good luck.  Once you go sweet, you can never go back !

3 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

3. Book as soon as the sailings are released, as they sometimes are very good deals that they increase over time. This is what happened with Oasis for the Jan Feb time frame when they were first released.

I'll contacting my TA as soon as the schedule is released.

2 hours ago, cured said:

We are the weird ones. We like the back CL suites, particularly the middles ones so that we can people watch on the boardwalk. On Oasis you could watch the Aqua Theater until they put in that purple monstrosity 😁  We have 1730 booked for our next cruise so we will see how badly the view is now obstructed.  I dreaded getting one of the back ones at first as I love to look at the ocean. But I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. You can still see the ocean and at least with the middle suites, you are not right on top of the sports court or the mini golf.

If I get bored with people watching and need my ocean fix, I just go down one deck and grab a chair to watch the ocean.   My kids love being one staircase from the Windjammer.

Is Allure the only one now that doesn't have that purple monstrosity?  If I ended up on Allure is there any aft water view from that distance?

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

This sums it up almost perfectly.

@Tree_skier There is one thing that should be added, CLS have two cabin attendants tending to your cabin VS one for the 1 BDR ATS.  It doesn’t seem like a big difference, but trust me it is. 

The deck 17 hallway is also exceptional quiet and very wide all times of the day.  Comes in handy for those late night slightly sober return from the bars. 

You are right I wouldn't have thought it a big difference. What do you notice the most about having a second cabin attendant?

33 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You are right I wouldn't have thought it a big difference. What do you notice the most about having a second cabin attendant?

For starters the gratitudes are the same amount for one in the ATS VS the two in the CLS. The second steward isn’t given grats from your cabin fare as we have been told, but we always say thank you to them. 😉 Our understanding is they get the portion paid by the cruise line, and the guests are not charged twice per person. 

With two stewards they move very quickly in cleaning your cabin. Going from memory there are 8 for all the cabins on deck 17, and for example Oasis has 30 cabins.  They are also the best of the best in the housekeeping department on-board. Many we have met have been with Royal for over 10 years. We always find the service to be spectacular.  Once a steward moves to deck 17 they stay there, unless they move to another ship with Sky/Star Class. 

It’s not to stay it isn’t great on the lower decks, but the stewards are run more ragged compared to deck 17.

Edited by A&L_Ont