4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I've always wanted to try Breckenridge, Vail and Aspen but have never gotten to CO in the winter.  I'm heading to Whistler today for a little mountain therapy.  DW is going kayaking and I'm just going to wander the village for a little mountain therapy (drinks and shopping 🙂 )  Oops, I've hijacked my own thread! Back to the topic at hand.

For those who know, does CK vary from ship to ship or is it consistent across the fleet. Also for those that know, what are your thoughts on the UDP. I would be inclined to get it on any Oasis class ship with all of its options but wonder if I'm going to get value out of it if I'm going to eat several meals at CK?

The bar location in CK is main difference from Oasis/Alure to Harm/Symphony.. Just slightly different layout with the older Oasis ships.  I enjoy the bar in the Oasis ships a bit more because it over looks Central Park/Pools.  The CK is best food on those ships HANDS DOWN - we will throw in 1 specialty restaurant but breakfast/dinner at CK is FANTASTIC.  As far as the UDP - my alcohol consumption on a vacation is pretty alarming/dramatic - I kind of turn into a fish.  We always get the UDP.  

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

It's a very short walk from your deck 17 cabin and a very, very short walk from happy hour in the SL to your table in CK. 😁

Now this sounds like a real benefit! 🙂 

8 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

As far as the UDP - my alcohol consumption on a vacation is pretty alarming/dramatic

Sorry, I shouldn't use initials because they can be interpreted differently, especially when we're talking about both.  UDP = unlimited dining package... DBP = Deluxe beverage package.

Just now, Tree_skier said:

Sorry, I shouldn't use initials because they can be interpreted differently, especially when we're talking about both.  UDP = unlimited dining package... DBP = Deluxe beverage package.

My mistake - not down with the lingo around here! 

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

In our opinion that was a mistake to change it on H&S.  The tub has the half glass wall, which lets out the humidity.  As for two fitting, a tile floor is much less slippery than a tub.😁

Our shower in Ocala holds about 5, or so I'm told😉

Edited by John&LaLa
2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

🙂 

For those who know, does CK vary from ship to ship or is it consistent across the fleet. Also for those that know, what are your thoughts on the UDP. I would be inclined to get it on any Oasis class ship with all of its options but wonder if I'm going to get value out of it if I'm going to eat several meals at CK?

CK between the various Oasis ships are very different in my opinion. Biggest difference is for breakfast and lunch though.

Breakfast and lunch on Oasis is hands down the best for sitdown. Oasis rotates around 4 menus over the week, and they are similar, but very good.

Harmony has the worst lunch offering,  we won't even go after day 4. She uses a two menu system, and the second menu is awful. To heavy for lunch. Symphony has one menu, and its ok, but you will get bored with it.

Harmony and Symphony have the best breakfast buffet. Its a dedicated space in the CK. Very nice. The happytizers are probably better as well

Harmony and Symphony have better kitchens than Oasis and Allure, so they seem to be able to handle more volume. But they have more tables available. 

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

In our opinion that was a mistake to change it on H&S.  The tub has the half glass wall, which lets out the humidity.

We hate that tub but apparently Royal gets lots of surveys from people asking for tubs in the suites. It would have made more sense to put it downstairs but they didn't ask me.

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We typically eat dinner 3 or 4 nights at CK and the rest at one of the specialty restaurants. Every once in a while in the MDR. I would only do UDP if I'm not interested in CK or MDR at all. A better option might be a 3-night package or just book individual reservations when there is a "sale."

I used to prepay for specialty on the Cruise Planner when there was a "sale." But having tried everything enough times we prefer to wing it day-by-day based on what we are in the mood for, and pay as we go. Sometimes we get a freebie (meals or drinks) for no apparent reason and of course I never argue with that. The concierge takes care of the reservations for us. We'll book every (or almost) every night in CK as a placeholder and then have the concierge change it for the nights when we want something else. To me this is a benefit of the suite life, just being able to relax and not worrying about planning everything in advance and then feeling obliged to stick to those plans.

20 hours ago, CTCruiser76 said:

Seeing that this is "Suite School" - to continue learning.....If you were to book a CLS, would you also book the Deluxe Drink package? 

I always have for two reasons...

1.  I enjoy being able to grab a drink right where I am when I feel like it.  This includes the suite sun deck on OA class.  Most of the time there's no wait for a drink there.  If I'm on the boardwalk and feel like a beer, I don't want to haul all the way up to deck 17 just for a drink.  At a show for example, being able to just order a drink when we arrive instead of making a point of going to the SL and carrying a drink all over the ship on the way to the show is worth it for me.

2.  The complimentary beer/wine in the day and cocktails during happy hour are well drinks.  Sometimes I want something better including a frozen drink that isn't available in the lounge.  

When I splurge for a sky class suite the difference to add the drink package is worth it to me to make the overall experience complete.  However if I were not that big of a drinker I could see leveraging lounge drinks to spare the DX cost.  Just plan on bringing comfortable shoes for the trips from various locations all over the ship to the SL for a drink.

Bottled water is complimentary in the SL when the bar is staffed so that's a big plus if not getting the DX.  I often ask for a couple and keep a supply on hand in the suite for those off-hour needs. 

We always get the drink package but decided to go without last cruise (Symphony CLS) and just pay as we go.  We figured that we would get most of our drinks in the SL and would just buy whatever else we wanted, whenever we wanted.  It was going to be a test to look at the bill at the end and see if we spent more or less that way, but I never got around to checking.  I think we ended up spending slightly less on a pay as you go basis.  I typically drank beer, Jack and Ginger, or a Moscow Mule (well vodka) in the SL, and my wife drank the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc (not usually part of happy hour but the bartender kept a bottle for her 😉).  We also had the 3 drinks loaded on our card if we were somewhere else during happy hour.  And, we brought 2 bottles of wine onboard.  Purchased drinks were mostly at the pool during the day or after dinner.  We definitely spent the most while on CocoCay without the package.

Edit: For future reference, I'll get the drink package when staying on deck 17.  I doubt we saved enough to offset the advantages of the package...especially if you want something that's not on the HH list.

Edited by bobmacliberty
On 9/3/2020 at 4:47 PM, twangster said:

I always have for two reasons...

1.  I enjoy being able to grab a drink right where I am when I feel like it.  This includes the suite sun deck on OA class.  Most of the time there's no wait for a drink there.  If I'm on the boardwalk and feel like a beer, I don't want to haul all the way up to deck 17 just for a drink.  At a show for example, being able to just order a drink when we arrive instead of making a point of going to the SL and carrying a drink all over the ship on the way to the show is worth it for me.

2.  The complimentary beer/wine in the day and cocktails during happy hour are well drinks.  Sometimes I want something better including a frozen drink that isn't available in the lounge.  

When I splurge for a sky class suite the difference to add the drink package is worth it to me to make the overall experience complete.  However if I were not that big of a drinker I could see leveraging lounge drinks to spare the DX cost.  Just plan on bringing comfortable shoes for the trips from various locations all over the ship to the SL for a drink.

Bottled water is complimentary in the SL when the bar is staffed so that's a big plus if not getting the DX.  I often ask for a couple and keep a supply on hand in the suite for those off-hour needs. 

Thanks for the feedback - we purchased it for our May Allure cruise.....cant wait....never stayed in a CLS before!!

• 2 weeks later...

With two stewards they move very quickly in cleaning your cabin. Going from memory there are 8 for all the cabins on deck 17, and for example Oasis has 30 cabins.  They are also the best of the best in the housekeeping department on-board. Many we have met have been with Royal for over 10 years. We always find the service to be spectacular.  Once a steward moves to deck 17 they stay there, unless they move to another ship with Sky/Star Class. 

It’s not to stay it isn’t great on the lower decks, but the stewards are run more ragged compared to deck 17.

The deck 17 suite stewards stay in that position when moving ships. Met a very nice gentleman that was our steward in a CLS on Oasis. Then about a year later, he was our steward on Allure. I commented on what are the chances that we would have him again as our steward. He said that once they get promoted to suite steward they stay there. It is a promotion and more money for them.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

My vote is for the aft facing CLS. When sailing Oasis class, we have to get that beautiful cabin. We have had the direct middle cabin and you can see the aqua theatre shows at a distance. We like that cabin but think I prefer the cabin directly above the landing for the zip line. Agree with other poster in that I will not get CLS on the port side. The basketball court is used to late at night and they play all types of games on there. Just can't relax on that balcony with the sound of the ball bouncing and people yelling.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

What is it about being above the zipline that like?
It is pretty quiet most of the day and night since you aren't right over the walkway and far enough away from mini golf. But the best is when the zip line is running you can people watch. And sometimes hear the screams of fear or joy!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 9/3/2020 at 9:24 AM, bobmacliberty said:

The advantage of CK for me is less about the food and more about the convenience and atmosphere.  It's a very short walk from your deck 17 cabin and a very, very short walk from happy hour in the SL to your table in CK. 😁

I completely agree with you on this !!!