Jump to content

CDC COVID Vaccine in Nov 2020.


Recommended Posts

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has told state governors and health officials to be ready to distribute a possible coronavirus vaccine by Nov. 1, reports said Wednesday.

 

https://nypost.com/2020/09/02/cdc-tells-states-to-be-ready-to-distribute-covid-19-vaccine-by-nov-1/

 

Multiple sources too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has told state governors and health officials to be ready to distribute a possible coronavirus vaccine by Nov. 1, reports said Wednesday.

 

https://nypost.com/2020/09/02/cdc-tells-states-to-be-ready-to-distribute-covid-19-vaccine-by-nov-1/

 

Multiple sources too.

Note the key is word "possible" . A vaccine has to be approved before it can be administered, and approval comes from the FDA, not the CDC. 

 

Typical tabloid NY Post stuff meant to mislead the uninformed. 

 

It's an example of what I've been concerned about... vaccines being used as a political weapon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Note the key is word "possible" . A vaccine has to be approved before it can be administered, and approval comes from the FDA, not the CDC. 

 

Typical tabloid NY Post stuff meant to mislead the uninformed. 

 

It's an example of what I've been concerned about... vaccines being used as a political weapon.

There are multiple sources including Reuters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

There are multiple sources including Reuters.

That doesn't change the fact that it appears to be politically motivated election year intentional shading of the facts. Again...the FDA, not the CDC, has to approve the vaccine. The article cleverly omits that little fact, now doesn't it?

Edited by njhorseman
Link to post
Share on other sites

Note the NY Times' version of the story includes this statement that somehow the Post failed to include despite citing the NY Times article. Pay particular attention to the statement "...its plans were still hypothetical".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/world/coronavirus-covid-live.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

 

"The C.D.C. noted in its guidance that “limited Covid-19 vaccine doses may be available by early November 2020.” It also said its plans were still hypothetical, noting, “The Covid-19 vaccine landscape is evolving and uncertain, and these scenarios may evolve as more information is available.” A C.D.C. spokeswoman confirmed that the documents were sent but declined to comment further."

Link to post
Share on other sites

This action by CDC is the equivalent of what we used to, in the Military, refer to as a "Warning Order", ie, "Be Prepared to...".  And, no, it isn't a promise that there will be a vaccine by 1 Nov but it is an indication that CDC is planning that there might be one.  All in all, this is a very positive development.  

 

A vaccine is the one way many of us might consider cruising again.  We will not embark on a cruise with the proposed protocols, ie, masks, social distancing, etc., in place.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

While I think the vaccine will fix the stock market the fact that there is a list of folks in line to get it means that most of us here would probably be last in line.  Not to mention stating that you are going on a vacation and need it won't get you any higher up.  I think most of us know we wont be getting a vaccine until at least the spring of 2021.  Won't stop me from cruising if I can.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving politics out of it.....I'm just happy to hear there are several companies working on vaccines.   

 

The first approved vaccines need to go to health care providers, the elderly, and those with serious underlying conditions first.

After that, maybe the rest of us can get back to some sort of regular life.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

....A vaccine is the one way many of us might consider cruising again...

For most only a proven, and appropriately certified vaccine will cut the mustard...as opposed to a politically motivated uncertified vaccine??

😉 

Link to post
Share on other sites

US-CDC and flip-flops used to "not" belong in the same phrase or sentence until 2020.  

 

I share the feelings among those on the healthcare frontline that this is not a simple solution with the magic wand ... 

 

And, that, most likely, 2 shots of the vaccine given at the near optimal interval preferred over doing it at warp speed ... wait, nevermind.  I would pay more attention to what the WHO is doing on the global level, in countries around the rest of the world - leave out the politics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

US-CDC and flip-flops used to "not" belong in the same phrase or sentence until 2020.  

 

I share the feelings among those on the healthcare frontline that this is not a simple solution with the magic wand ... 

 

And, that, most likely, 2 shots of the vaccine given at the near optimal interval preferred over doing it at warp speed ... wait, nevermind.  I would pay more attention to what the WHO is doing on the global level, in countries around the rest of the world - leave out the politics. 

China said they have been dispensing a vaccine for a month now.  Russia is also distributing one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

2 very responsible and ethical counties, this makes me feel warm inside.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
 

Agreed.  Here is some discussion on the topic from Reuters...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-adenoviru/scientists-see-downsides-to-top-covid-19-vaccines-from-russia-china-idUSKBN25R19H

Link to post
Share on other sites

So it seems the real question is when the FDA approves a vaccine, will people trust it?  Seems that some here are thinking that it would be approved for the wrong reasons.  I for one am thinking that they fact that they are making it run through all three stages should mean that no one is monkeying with the results.  If the FDA says get a shot that will help, I will ask where I queue up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has told state governors and health officials to be ready to distribute a possible coronavirus vaccine by Nov. 1, reports said Wednesday.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/02/cdc-tells-states-to-be-ready-to-distribute-covid-19-vaccine-by-nov-1/

Multiple sources too.

The challenge is that if a vaccine is made available, a large proportion of the population of the United States couldn't be bothered getting it. You see that blatant disregard of the virus coast to coast every day. And that's why the US infection rates continue to be high. People don't care. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even IF a vaccine was available this year..it would take a long time to vaccinate so many people especially if 2 doses are required ..plus there are many who will not want it or take it .  Add to that a chance that it may not be totally effective (think the annual flu vaccine !)....and the fact that this virus may mutate.

While I would love to sail again, there are way too many variables to have me feel it will be anytime soon.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You know something is wrong when there has never been an announcement of a successful vaccine yet some "government" officials are telling states to get ready for mass distribution of a vaccine 2 days before election day.   Talk about putting 5 carts before the horse.  Lets find and get a successful vaccine FIRST before we start telling people to get in line for a vaccine that does not exist yet.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hamrag said:

For most only a proven, and appropriately certified vaccine will cut the mustard...as opposed to a politically motivated uncertified vaccine??

😉

 

So what's the plan for vaccine distribution in the UK?   I'm sorry to hear that politics is interfering with vaccine development in the UK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

You know something is wrong when there has never been an announcement of a successful vaccine yet some "government" officials are telling states to get ready for mass distribution of a vaccine 2 days before election day.   Talk about putting 5 carts before the horse.  Lets find and get a successful vaccine FIRST before we start telling people to get in line for a vaccine that does not exist yet.  

 

 

Really?   People are dying everyday from Covid and you think government officials should wait until there is a vaccine developed and completely tested before we start to think developing a system to vaccinate people?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

 

So what's the plan for vaccine distribution in the UK?   I'm sorry to hear that politics is interfering with vaccine development in the UK. 

Don’t know anything about a vaccine, many on test, but they are only issuing Flu jabs for the shielded from 12th September.

There is no political interference from any party, we just want to get on, too much FAKE NEWS 

Stay safe

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

 

Really?   People are dying everyday from Covid and you think government officials should wait until there is a vaccine developed and completely tested before we start to think developing a system to vaccinate people?  

 

Now that vaccines are in stage 3 of testing it is absolutely responsible for the medical community and government to work out a distribution system.  What is irresponsible is the reporting of this that highlights "vaccine may be available Nov 1" instead of the fact that phase 3 trials are scheduled for a year and IF there is overwhelming evidence earlier they MAY end the trials early and BEST CASE scenario is that they could be available Nov 1. People are getting their hopes up that the world will be back to normal by the end of the year and that simply isn't realistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

 

Really?   People are dying everyday from Covid and you think government officials should wait until there is a vaccine developed and completely tested before we start to think developing a system to vaccinate people?  

 

 It's absurd enough for it to be in phase 3 trials.  They need to slow down.  Our greatest vaccine tragedies came out of moving too fast.  We don't need another Cutter incident or it having something like simian virus-40 in it.  Too fast drug approval can lead to problems 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...