Farewell Sun Princess & Sea Princess?

Maureen, thank you for posting that announcement. Now it is official. Sad. We have had many fantastic cruises on these ships. The Sun Princess was our first Princess cruise - to Tahiti and Hawaii. Since then we have sailed on her a few times (Indian ocean Odyssey and other cruises, and even more cruises on the Sea Princess including segments of the World Cruise in 2014, 2016 and 2018.

I look forward to cruises on the Sea Princess' replacement, the Coral Princess.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Did you write back to them re memo from Princess to Agents about the sale?

I did not bother to as I figured it would happen anyway.  I have seen the following post here, but heard nothing at this stage from Princess.  This site is fantastic and has all the latest news.  I will now follow up for a refund of my "large" deposit on the Sept 2021 cruise and also for my Sea Princess March/April cruise to PNG.  I have long given up on my Pacific Adventure B2B cruise Christmas and NY.  I have never had less than 4 future cruises booked these past few years........now none to look forward too.  So sad.

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

Sun Princess and Sea Princess to Leave Princess Cruises Fleet

September 21, 2020 5:10PM PT

Yet again, evidence you can't rely on what's told to you by their customer service/sales agents, and there isn't much point contacting them about such issues until something has been announced.

10 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Yet again, evidence you can't rely on what's told to you by their customer service/sales agents, and there isn't much point contacting them about such issues until something has been announced.

Until the customer service/sales agents were informed that the ships were sold and instructed to stop selling cruises on them, they could hardly tell customers something they might have heard on the grapevine - or read on CC🙂.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Until the customer service/sales agents were informed that the ships were sold and instructed to stop selling cruises on them, they could hardly tell customers something they might have heard on the grapevine - or read on CC🙂.

Exactly, hence not much point contacting them, as they can only toe the official line - which can dissuade people from the reality.

I was just on Sea Princess 2021 Worldie Roll Call. Official the 2021 Sea Princess WC is cancelled.  Persons booked on it have been notified.  Sea and Sun sold to undisclosed buyers was the official Princess announcement as well.

My commiserations to those CC'ers booked on the Worldie.  

32 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I was just on Sea Princess 2021 Worldie Roll Call. Official the 2021 Sea Princess WC is cancelled.  Persons booked on it have been notified.  Sea and Sun sold to undisclosed buyers was the official Princess announcement as well.

My commiserations to those CC'ers booked on the Worldie.  

A lot of people who had booked on the 2021 World Cruise had read the writing on the wall and cancelled. Several booked on the 2022 WC.

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

or there could be an outbreak in a port you were due to visit and you would not be let ashore ., as in Hobart last season .

That was at the start of the pandemic. By the middle of 2022, I hope there will be an effective vaccine or two, and that it will have been used widely. If crew and passengers have been vaccinated, they should not be greatly at risk when they go ashore.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I hope that won't be the case by 2022. Maybe passengers will have to show a vaccination certificate.... or two and undergo temperature checks.

The policies could well still be in force for 2022, who knows.?  The check in delays could double.

22 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Just imagine a worldie where you had to book a ship shore ex or stay onboard... eek...

That is whats is going to happen.  So budget for quite few more thousand dollars for shorex, unless you want to stay on the ship and play trivia or bingo all day, what a horrible thought.

31 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

A lot of people who had booked on the 2021 World Cruise had read the writing on the wall and cancelled. Several booked on the 2022 WC.

Yes I know. Passengers have been jumping ship from the 2021 Worldie for some weeks and got in early on the 2022 Coral WC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

That is whats is going to happen.  So budget for quite few more thousand dollars for shorex, unless you want to stay on the ship and play trivia or bingo all day, what a horrible thought.

When it comes to the time when I have to pay more, I can decide whether I want to continue with the booking or postpone the trip, hoping things will improve and I won't deteriorate so much 🙂that I can't undertake such a trip.

Just received our email cancelling our Sea Princess Syd/Brisbane cruise next April. So many Aust cruises gone now for next year with both Sun and Sea out and doesn't look like they are planning to backfill with another ship. And this was supposed to be our backup cruise in case our Med cruise in May fails to eventuate. Sigh 😞

4 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

Just received our email cancelling our Sea Princess Syd/Brisbane cruise next April. So many Aust cruises gone now for next year with both Sun and Sea out and doesn't look like they are planning to backfill with another ship. And this was supposed to be our backup cruise in case our Med cruise in May fails to eventuate. Sigh 😞

Our next booked cruise is in August 2021 with P&O Aust. I hope by then there will be an effective vaccine but if there isn't, the cruise may not go ahead.

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Our next booked cruise is in August 2021 with P&O Aust. I hope by then there will be an effective vaccine but if there isn't, the cruise may not go ahead.

Damn hard to plan isn't it. And us here in WA have the added worry that it doesn't look like our border to rest of country will open any time soon.

I got this email today...............................

Today, Princess is announcing the sale of two of our ships, Sun Princess® and Sea Princess®. The sale of these vessels is in line with our parent company, Carnival Corporation’s plan to accelerate the removal of less efficient ships from its fleet. Due to the imminent departure of these two ships, your cruise holiday has been cancelled. Click here ❯ for full details.

Sun Princess and Sea Princess contributed to significant growth in Australian cruising. Both ships defined the premium cruise experience with Australians and New Zealanders spending close to 14 million nights aboard these ships.

The first ship in the Sun Class, Sun Princess was introduced in 1995 debuting in the Caribbean and was amongst the largest ships in the world at the time. The 2,000-guest Sun Princess also sailed in Alaska and Panama Canal, among other destinations, before being homeported in Australia in October 2007. Sun Princess also helped us open the Japanese market in 2013 as the first foreign-flagged cruise ship to offer cruises designed specifically for the Japanese.

The 2,000-guest Sea Princess became synonymous with World Cruises, having completed six full world cruises since 2013. During her time based in Australia, Sea Princess travelled the equivalent of 35 times around the world. Prior to joining Sun Princess in Australia, Sea Princess sailed in Europe and Alaska as well as the Caribbean, including serving as a homeport ship in Barbados in the mid- to late-2000s.

We share your disappointment over this cancellation, and while it is never easy to say goodbye to any ship in our fleet, this will allow us to deploy newer ships enhancing our offerings for Australia cruisers and focus on bringing into service exciting newbuilds like the upcoming delivery of Enchanted Princess®.

We hope you will sail with us again by accepting this special higher value Future Cruise Credit offer:

• 100% value of cruise fare paid as a refundable FCC
  • Bonus FCC equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid

This requires no action from you and gives our team a chance to shine at a later date by using the Future Cruise Credit above on any voyage booked by 1 May 2022.

Alternatively, you can forfeit the bonus FCC and request a refund for all money paid on your booking by using this online form ❯. f we don't hear from you by 31 October 2020, you will automatically receive the default FCC Offer.

Money paid to Princess including taxes, fees and port expenses, EZair or hotel packages will be refunded, as will any prepaid shore excursions and/or special service items.

If any portion of your travel was not booked through Princess Cruises, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Most airlines and other travel-related services such as hotels, transportation, and tours are allowing refunds or waiving change fees due to COVID-19; please work directly with those operators regarding their charges.

I want to take the FCC with bonus and swap it to Coral Princess 25 Nov.  I called Princess to handle it but they seem unable to expedite the FCC so I can use it as the deposit for the new cruise.  They said I should do a courtesy hold and keep extending it until the FCC is processed which may not be until 30 Oct.  So I have to keep calling every 3 days until then?  Or is there a better way?

26 minutes ago, Tikibird said:

I got this email today...............................

Today, Princess is announcing the sale of two of our ships, Sun Princess® and Sea Princess®. The sale of these vessels is in line with our parent company, Carnival Corporation’s plan to accelerate the removal of less efficient ships from its fleet. Due to the imminent departure of these two ships, your cruise holiday has been cancelled. Click here ❯ for full details.

Sun Princess and Sea Princess contributed to significant growth in Australian cruising. Both ships defined the premium cruise experience with Australians and New Zealanders spending close to 14 million nights aboard these ships.

The first ship in the Sun Class, Sun Princess was introduced in 1995 debuting in the Caribbean and was amongst the largest ships in the world at the time. The 2,000-guest Sun Princess also sailed in Alaska and Panama Canal, among other destinations, before being homeported in Australia in October 2007. Sun Princess also helped us open the Japanese market in 2013 as the first foreign-flagged cruise ship to offer cruises designed specifically for the Japanese.

The 2,000-guest Sea Princess became synonymous with World Cruises, having completed six full world cruises since 2013. During her time based in Australia, Sea Princess travelled the equivalent of 35 times around the world. Prior to joining Sun Princess in Australia, Sea Princess sailed in Europe and Alaska as well as the Caribbean, including serving as a homeport ship in Barbados in the mid- to late-2000s.

We share your disappointment over this cancellation, and while it is never easy to say goodbye to any ship in our fleet, this will allow us to deploy newer ships enhancing our offerings for Australia cruisers and focus on bringing into service exciting newbuilds like the upcoming delivery of Enchanted Princess®.

We hope you will sail with us again by accepting this special higher value Future Cruise Credit offer:

• 100% value of cruise fare paid as a refundable FCC
  • Bonus FCC equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid

This requires no action from you and gives our team a chance to shine at a later date by using the Future Cruise Credit above on any voyage booked by 1 May 2022.

Alternatively, you can forfeit the bonus FCC and request a refund for all money paid on your booking by using this online form ❯. f we don't hear from you by 31 October 2020, you will automatically receive the default FCC Offer.

Money paid to Princess including taxes, fees and port expenses, EZair or hotel packages will be refunded, as will any prepaid shore excursions and/or special service items.

If any portion of your travel was not booked through Princess Cruises, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Most airlines and other travel-related services such as hotels, transportation, and tours are allowing refunds or waiving change fees due to COVID-19; please work directly with those operators regarding their charges.

I want to take the FCC with bonus and swap it to Coral Princess 25 Nov.  I called Princess to handle it but they seem unable to expedite the FCC so I can use it as the deposit for the new cruise.  They said I should do a courtesy hold and keep extending it until the FCC is processed which may not be until 30 Oct.  So I have to keep calling every 3 days until then?  Or is there a better way?

I am sure I read somewhere that they won't transfer the FCC to become a deposit on another cruise. I would not be expecting the FCC till at least end oct based on other stories.

Edited by lorri111