Some Travel Insurance Companies Limit Coverage For Crystal Cruises

not really any surprise there-probably other cruise lines will be labeled the same way as Crystal has now been re insurance coverage .But its a moot point   since none of us will likely be sailing before next summer-and even that is iffy because the covid19 isn't anywhere near being controlled much less reduced to an "acceptable level of risk" pre vaccine. Ergo, I think  some people are really grasping at straws/wishful thinking to think there will be any  cruises before Summer  😞

This was covered in another thread...  Crystal is one of a handful of cruise lines that certain insurers aren't covering for failure at the moment.  The list seems to be growing, and varies by insurer.

Vince

There are probably a number of people here like me who have large insurance premiums "on hold" that were rolled over from canceled cruises. I think some companies (Allianz?) refunded premiums from canceled cruises. The chance I'm ever going to be able the use the money I paid the insurance company is looking slimmer.

This only impacts the supplier failure component of certain policies that included that feature.  Especially since March, fewer and fewer policies even have that coverage bundled in at all, and it wasn't automatic in many policies even in years past.  While this may be a downgrade for some policies, in practical application it may not be as line-specific as it sounds (since it's being bundled in less frequently) and wouldn't keep you from buying any other coverage for a future sailing.

Vince

• 2 weeks later...

Even the policy I purchased January 23, 2020, before Covid was a major issue, specifically excludes supplier default.  It used to be that supplier default was one of the best reasons to go with independent insurance as opposed to what was offered by the cruise line, but I think that distinction is certainly harder to find than it was five or ten years ago.  But, since my reason for purchasing insurance is to avoid unanticipated expenses, it still suits my needs.  Personally, I feel that if I can't afford to lose the cost of a vacation, I have no business booking that vacation.  That being said, it's a safe bet I won't be paying my balance in March 2021 to save 2.5%....  Still cautiously optimistic that our dream of a Crystal Holiday sailing will come to fruition in 2021, and wishing everyone health and happiness!

On 9/3/2020 at 10:21 AM, juicyjuju said:

There are probably a number of people here like me who have large insurance premiums "on hold" that were rolled over from canceled cruises. I think some companies (Allianz?) refunded premiums from canceled cruises. The chance I'm ever going to be able the use the money I paid the insurance company is looking slimmer.

Allianz did refund my premium from a cancelled cruise within 2 weeks.

46 minutes ago, Coral said:

Allianz did refund my premium from a cancelled cruise within 2 weeks.

I"m going to use them in future. The insurance company I used doesn't do refunds 😞

They will hold my premium until December 2020 for another cruise but I don't anticipate booking anything this year

2 minutes ago, juicyjuju said:

I"m going to use them in future. The insurance company I used doesn't do refunds 😞

They will hold my premium until December 2020 for another cruise but I don't anticipate booking anything this year

I think this was a unique situation. I think they would have also let me use it on another trip within 2 years. On a side note, I have had to file claims with them in the past and they were excellent to work with. My TA has a policy that I can add their insurance at final payment and it covers pre-existing conditions. So I don't have to book it at deposit unless I want to cover the deposit (if I had a large deposit that wasn't refundable, etc...).

• 4 weeks later...

I filed a dispute with Amex plat over the insurance premium. It was a large premium because I missed the 14 day window for pre-existing conditions and the insurance broker had to use a lesser known insurance company called United States Fire insurance. 

I've read a couple of people did have luck getting their travel insurance dispute resolved in their favor.  Has anyone else here filed a dispute over travel insurance.