Hi fellow cruisers. I am considering the 77 day S/A cruise (Volendam) departing Jan 2021. I cannot find any information about whether or not this cruise will be a 'go'. I am concerned about making a reservation and NOT knowing if it will even sail.

Does anyone have experience with these iffy matters? Guess I am looking for advice on what to do.

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, dockman said:

My guess is highly doubtful....that is only about 4 months away and I will be amazed if all the ports are open by then.

I have to agree with you on that.  We were booked on this cruise and cancelled one month ago exactly.  Please note cancellation penalties begin Sept. 6, three days from now.

Probably not but I would wait for HAL to cancel.  If you cancel you lose any bonus plan they provide.  My 32 day South American trip for mid-November was canceled about 2 weeks ago.  They doubled my money for a future cruise.  Remember they have changed the final payment dates.  You have until 60 days(?) before sailing until you need to make a decision.

Edited by Mary229
1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Probably not but I would wait for HAL to cancel.  If you cancel you lose any bonus plan they provide.  My 32 day South American trip for mid-November was canceled about 2 weeks ago.  They doubled my money for a future cruise.  Remember they have changed the final payment dates.  You have until 60 days(?) before sailing until you need to make a decision.

True but if HAL were to go into Bankruptcy before your future cruise, you would be an unsecured creditor and likely lose the funds you originally paid, never mind the bonus FCC.  Of course, it's totally up to you if you're willing to take that risk for the potential reward.  

10 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

True but if HAL were to go into Bankruptcy before your future cruise, you would be an unsecured creditor and likely lose the funds you originally paid, never mind the bonus FCC.  Of course, it's totally up to you if you're willing to take that risk for the potential reward.  

That's right, my analysis, my risk.  I think CCL will be here for the duration.  They may consolidate, HAL may disappear but the corporation will exist.  There will be many others disappearing before CCL.  (and I don't think HAL would disappear but perhaps one of the CCL brands may or be merged).  There is a lot of room in the industry for consolidation, that was true before the pandemic.  The industry was already fighting it out on price and that is not the place to be for any business.

Edited by Mary229

My guess is it will be cancelled within the next few weeks and re-offered for 2022 with 2021 guests reaccomodated first. They are still working through reaccomodating guests affected by the Rotterdams delayed entry into service and subsequent itinerary shuffle for her and the Nieuw Statendam.  Dealing with a Grand South America Cancel/rebook for 2022 will be the next priority.  

18 hours ago, TraelorMex said:

Hi fellow cruisers. I am considering the 77 day S/A cruise (Volendam) departing Jan 2021. I cannot find any information about whether or not this cruise will be a 'go'. I am concerned about making a reservation and NOT knowing if it will even sail.

Does anyone have experience with these iffy matters? Guess I am looking for advice on what to do.

Thanks in advance.

I am booked on the second portion of this cruise if it happens - if it is cancelled, I will try for 2022.  I am the eternal optimist.

On 9/3/2020 at 12:24 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

I have to agree with you on that.  We were booked on this cruise and cancelled one month ago exactly.  Please note cancellation penalties begin Sept. 6, three days from now.

Note that even though final payment may be 60 days from sailing; cancellation penalties are sooner as noted above.  

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh, and might I add if you cancel 9/6/2020 or later the penalty is $7500 per person!  That's huge, at least to me!

He is covered by the Covid cancel policy

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh, and might I add if you cancel 9/6/2020 or later the penalty is $7500 per person!  That's huge, at least to me!

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

He is covered by the Covid cancel policy

17 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

What is the Covid cancel policy?

Cancel up to 30 days Prior and get 100% FCC for paid fare

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory/BookWithConfidence.html

2 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

But, that's FCC and not a refund.

yes - after final payment due date if the consumer voluntarily cancels HAL, like all other cruise lines, is offering an FCC for the normal penalty amount. An FCC is at least better than no compensation at all for The penalties on a voluntary cancel.  If HAL cancel the sailing then they will refund in full if requested.  As you have up to 30 days prior to departure that gives plenty of time to see if HAL is going to cancel or not and make an informed choice.

Seems pretty fair to me as the consumer does not need buy the HAL CPP (or any other insurance policy) to get this benefit.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72